Author Topic: Photographs of Shrewsbury / completed  (Read 12414 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs of Shrewsbury offer, Shropshire
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
thank you Jan,
 I feel rather dumb for not thinking about doing that before! Do you suppose
that 23 is still standing?  That would be marvelous to have a shot of it also...
The building was used for 2 generations ( maybe 3 if Robert started there...)
I imagine if Walter had lived he would have also carried on the business, as he
was listed as a chemist in 1901.   
  It never occurred to me before, but with the death of Henry, who was partners
with Thomas Sr....who was getting on in years...Thomas Jr. was called away from university to help his father's business. 
  This IS exciting, having all these puzzle pieces start to fit together....You are
all amazing!

Do you suppose I am making your thread a little full with my sentiment?  Jeany
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
For J.J. - Photographs have been taken!
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeany

This evening my daughter and I went into Shrewsbury town armed with camera and notebook.

We went to St Chad's Churchyard first, but unfortunately it's closed to the public at the moment for some kind of "building work" ::)  I was gutted.  Anyway, I've kept the list of names you want me to look up and as soon as it's open again I will get the Headstone pictures for you.

From St Chad's we wondered down Town Walls, and reached the Shrewsbury Girls High School and nos 27 and 28 Tower Place.  I see from one of your previous posts that Blunt's were also living at no 27.  Got photos of them.

We then walked to Wyle Cop, via a couple of shortcuts to see 23 Wyle Cop.  It does exist.  The lady from the Archives told me that it was "3 properties down from the Nags Head Pub".  Well, I stood opposite the pub and in fact the next door property has 23A on the door.  Not sure why it's 23A but I took a photo of it anyway.

Could you PM me with your email address please?  I can send them all to you tonight.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs of Shrewsbury for J.J.
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jan.. came on for a bit and there you are again... you and Monica have really been onthe case for me! Can't thank you enough for that! I am so sorry that you didn't get into the yard at St. chad's. Please don't feel as though you must.  Especially now that I know you have a little one. I thought that you were an old bag like me with grown children ( I'm 51 with a teenager...so I really SHOULD have a grown one!)
  I am so excited to see the pics of 23!!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks for noticing the 27, I had forgotten all about that. ..this gang did not know how to stay in one place it seems!  Hugs & more hugs!!!!!

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeany

Photos sent!!!!!!

My daughter and I really enjoyed ourselves (she's nearly 12, by the way) wondering round the Town taking photos.  It was amazing how many were giving us funny looks.  I think they thought we must have been mad or something.

I read your post about John Place.  I think I know where it originally was, so when I go back to St Chad's I'll have another look for you.

I don't mind doing it, and my daughter wants to come with me again.  And just so you know, I'm 37 with 3 children - 12.10 and nearly 3.  I feel like an "old bag" sometimes ;D

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Jan...The photos are marvelous...
  Thank you so very much! It is a real thrill to see the shop! I wonder if you could take more of the shop views next time you are out that way?? The building is in wonderful shape! Here in Winnipeg, buildings don't last very long with our harsh winters, perhaps...or maybe just not built to last...who knows. ???
   I am a bit confused about the height of Tower Place, as mom said it was 4 stories....and that it had an elevator when she visited last....or is that because it is on a hill, so it is seen as more from the back.  Or perhaps it was shortened to modernize it?
  many many thanks...you are terrific!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
Oh, yes, and I forgot...the John Place entry... I looked at the actual
image and someone had typed it wrong, as it is also "Tower Place".
The "T" did look a bit like a "j" but there is no "h" in there for sure...
and this census taker had definite "h's" . I am sorry, I thought that
you might have seen that in the other thread...

I am going to print these off into a letter for my mum. She reads
them over and over. I will tell her what a marvelous bunch of people
there are on rootschat!
All the best, Jan...

Jeany

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hey Jan!
 I just sent the photos off in a note to my Mum. I sometimes worry about taking her too much into the past, with the stage that she is in right now (87 and lots of strokes) But at the same time I can't help but share with her, as I know she enjoys it, and enjoys remembering. She will get a kick out of the Chemist shop.
She was only about 12 or 13 when she left, but she does remember some things.
She must not have remembered where it was when she returned years ago, though, because she never got a shot of it.
  I can see why the address is 23a...as the in the photo the building seems to now house 2 shops. Are they long inside? Just wondering as he used to do his county analyst stuff in the back....
How is your weather in Shrewsbury (say it's not that great, so I won't be too jealous!) Ours sucks wind...or blows wind...right now, and a cold one at that!

Hugs again!   Jeany

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeany

I agree with you about 23 Wyle Cop, that now houses 2 shops yet above the premises is clearly just one.  They are long inside, and stretch quite a way back.  When I took the photos last night both shops were shut.

Next time I am in that end of town, I will go in and have a nose round!!

Your query about the 4 storeys at Tower Place - from the front of the street they are as in the photos, but at the back they are on a kind of split level so are lower than the road (does that make sense?!!! I know what I want to tell you but can't think of the right words).

My daughter and I did have a nose through the windows of both nos 27 and 28.  27 is a classroom, you can see the desks and chairs.  Unfortunately 28 wasn't as easy because the glass in the front window was half frosted.  It looked like it was a school office anyway.

Now the bit about John Place, which we have now established was Tower Place.  It's No 111 isn't it?  I'll take a photo for you next time.

Our weather is just dreadful at the moment...........today it has poured down, non-stop, and it's gone very cold.  I hate it >:(  I'm just glad I wasn't taking photos tonight...........I would have got drenched ;D

Glad you liked the photos - let me know if there's any more that you need.

Jan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 20:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, Jan,
as I suspected, the buildings are rather built into the hill, with the
longer side stretching down in the back...because there is a bay window of
sorts in mum's photo, i thought that''s how it must be...So much history in
that place. (in that town!)
  Thanks for saying the weather is lousy! Haha!!!!    Jeany