Author Topic: Photographs of Shrewsbury / completed  (Read 12502 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs of Shrewsbury for J.J.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 28 September 05 20:45 BST (UK) »
Oh, yes, and it was 111 although I don't see from your photos why the numbers would have such a stretch into the hundreds...
Here are the census addresses again...
1861...35 st.John's row or tower place (Sr. & Jr.)
1871...111 Tower Place( Thomas Sr.)   
1871...4 victoria st ( Thomas Jr.) 
1881...28 Tower Place ( Thomas Jr.)
1891...27 Tower Place ( Jr. ) but  noboby for  28?

Jeany
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 September 05 01:58 BST (UK) »
I just looked through my papers and found Mum's immigration and she was only 10 3/4 years old!... and she lived part of those years in Scotland, so it's amazing that she remembers all that she does....and it's not only just now, it's always been a precious memory to her.  I guess it was a really important part of her, those early years. ...Jeany
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 29 September 05 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Here are the census addresses again...
1861...35 st.John's row or tower place (Sr. & Jr.)
1871...111 Tower Place( Thomas Sr.)   
1871...4 victoria st ( Thomas Jr.) 
1881...28 Tower Place ( Thomas Jr.)
1891...27 Tower Place ( Jr. ) but  noboby for  28?

I've just been looking at the above, firstly at No 35.  obviously, I know where 27 & 28 are, they form part of the Shrewsbury Girls High School, which is listed as being No 32 (the main reception building).  No 32 is situated on a corner, then across the road is what used to be the Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital which has been converted into apartments.  The address for this property was Murivance, but just up from there, there is another row of terrace houses and I'm wondering if they used to be part of Tower Place.  I shall have to go back with the camera again!!!!

I have no idea where No 111 would be - might have to make another call to the Shropshire Archives.  And as for Victoria Street, I have never heard of it  I've got a bit more detective work, haven't I? :D

Thought you might be interested in this:

The [former] Ebenezer Methodist New Connexion Chapel, Town Walls, Shrewsbury.  This chapel, designed by Fallows and Hart of Birmingham, was opened in 1834. It cost £1500, and accomodated 450 people. The chapel was sold by the Methodist Church in 1938 to the Christian Science Society and in the early 1980s was bought by the Shrewsbury High School for Girls who continue to occupy the premises. The exterior remains unchanged except for the removal of the stained glass from the windows. The interior, which until the 1980s retained its original pews and internal layout, has been totally altered and another floor inserted. Grid ref: SJ 489122

You should recogise the picture.......and just to the left of the old chapel is No 28 Tower Place.

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 29 September 05 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeany and Jan,

Just popped in for a minute or two. 

Victoria Street is down between the prison and the river.  It merges into Dorset Street which leads down to the Castle Footbridge.

In the 1881 census the girls - Elizabeth and Sarah - were living at St Michaels House and the neighbours were Long Row and Anns Hill, so that's along Ditherington Road, isn't it?

J.J. - I'm curious apart the names GAIRE and ROYSTON which appear as middle names.  Do you know why they were chosen?

Also we now have a family called LUNT with several chemist shops in town.  They're not part of the family who lost the initial 'B' are they?

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 29 September 05 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

As soon as I read your post, I remembered Victoria Street :D

You are correct about Long Row - that is Ditherington, which then joins St Michaels Street, which is where St Michaels House must be (somewhere!).  Can't say that I've heard of Ann's Hill ??? but have just found this.

Ditherington Mill: Apprentice House, c 1800 (2) 56-59 St Michaels Street

The building was constructed from the same bricks that were used for building the original mill in 1796-1797. The house was known at one time as Ann’s Hill after Simpson’s daughter.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.4839

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 29 September 05 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hello, Jan....
Where did you get that shot?  Wow, the whole row seems to be part of the school, then...So is that more of the Tower Place buildings continunig in the background? Sorry if my questions are dumb.
  Jan, don't feel you need to take photos of every place my ancestors have
lived...(or I'll send you off to Surrey, next) haha...They seemed to move about quite a bit  for a while, there...Nomad Chemists!
Great of you to be thinking so much of my genealogy! I'm a lucky gal...I see
a post from Monica, so I'll go read it through!
Hugs!   Jeany

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 30 September 05 00:02 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know...........the buildings continuing in the background (to the right of the old chapel) is the original Shrewsbury Girls High School Building.

Jan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 30 September 05 00:38 BST (UK) »
Ohhh, How exciting...more chemists....!!!

i'll have to answer each question separately..
"Gaire" is used a a few times...but not sure where the name originated...
My Mother called her uncle Thomas ( the 3rd  ) her uncle Gaire...I suppose he
liked his middle name best, (as did several of the family members - the rotters!)
 He used it as his son Brian's middle name, and the same son named one of
his boys Gaire..... The really funny thing is that there are others...A Robert Gaire Blunt...who born in Shrewsbury, ALSO a CHEMIST!!! but I haven't made a connection yet!!!!  Then there is another Robert Gaire Blunt born earlier in Southwark so perhaps this was a cousin and the other was his son? ? ? I have yet to find out!!!

Now where did Royston come from, I need to be reminded  ( My husband is Metis...he says if I had a native name it would be " Memory Like Sieve!"?
There is a Rockstro !

...and interesting about the Lunt Chemists....Perhaps you could investigate this one for me, Monica?  Or give me an address so that I might drop them a line?

Thanks for your input Monica...You two are my sleuths....is it sometimes easier to do other's genealogy?  I find it's less headache, as in the end, I don't have to keep all their files...I have tons and I've only just begun...!!!!
All the best, Jeany

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 30 September 05 00:42 BST (UK) »
I see, Jan, so that always was the girl's achool, but the rest was an expansion...

My mom has great memories from there.  She loved the bakers coming down the street shouting "fresh rolls!"....I wonder if they kept any of the gardens in the back.  She said he had a beautiful orchard with so many types of fruit, and a
wonderful garden. Thomas Porter was also into Botany...

Jeany