Author Topic: Photographs of Shrewsbury / completed  (Read 12501 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photographs of Shrewsbury offer, Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 September 05 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hello, Jan..
Found the invoice but it doesn't have any more info than tha ad...
Here it is anyway, such a great little souvenir of his handwriting,
which is so like my grandmother's...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 September 05 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi J.J.

What a wonderful piece of history.

I am trawling through various Shrewsbury websites to see if I can find out exactly where the chemist was.  I think I'm going to phone the Shrewsbury Archives and see if they can tell me.  I have found them to be extremely helpful in the past.

I will let you know what they say..............here's hoping.

Jan

Edit:  I have just discovered that The Archives is closed today  >:( >:(  I'll try them tomorrow - that means we'll have to wait another 24 hours ;D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 September 05 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jan...
  Thanks for doing that for me.  I wrote them about half a year ago regarding the Tower Place address. I never thought about the actual building he worked out of, silly me! What a good idea...Did you look at the site that Liverpool Annie gave the link to?  I was not sure how to use the site, although it seems to encourage people to do just what we are doing. I imagine to do the full lookup as they did on the site would be fee based as per the regular rate.
 Here's what they said about Tower Place:
 The directories of Shrewsbury arranged by streets only start in 1882 - before that there are directories of Shropshire and within those Shrewsbury is found and the names and addresses of its most prominent citizens and tradesmen are given under surname, so you have to be looking for the name of a person rather than an address. According to the book Shropshire Street Names Tower Place which comprised numbers 27-30 Town Walls was first recorded in Bagshaw's directory of Shropshire 1851 although the buildings are of earlier date.
  I have checked directories of Shrewsbury and from 1882 to 1928 number 28, Tower Place (or 28, Town Walls as it was also known) was occupied by T. P. Blunt. In 1931 and 1936 it was occupied by Dr. Lawson Stote and in 1938 by Leonard Joseph Godson, surgeon. The directories finish then but registers of electors show that Ruby E. Godson was there until 1958. Number 28,Town Walls then disappears from the register of electors when presumably it was bought by Shrewsbury Girls High School for expansion purposes. It is now part of the Girls High School although you can still see the number 28 on the front door. There is another almost identical house to the left as you face it (now also part of the High School ) and adjoining this house is Tower House which is a tower of the old town walls. The address is now Town Walls rather than Tower Place. All the properties to the right of the house (including a former chapel) are now part of the High School  which has been on the site for over 100 years and so has needed to expand .
The picture you have is of the back of the house which can be seen from the Quarry Park by the river. Externally I don't think the house will have been altered much since your mother's visit 15 years ago. The house looks like a late Georgian house as are many of the houses in the vicinity.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 September 05 21:37 BST (UK) »
I know where the properties are Jeany.  Would you like some photos of the front of the building?  Let me know?

Town Walls is very near to St Chad's Church, so I can do all your photos in one "hit"!!!!!!

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 September 05 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jan!
 That would be great. You are just as sweet as your photo! I wish that I could come and do it with you....That would be such a hoot!  Thank you so much for your kindness! Rootschat just attracts the nicest people!

Cyber Hugs, Jeany (J.J.)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeany

Well, if ever you get to England................... ;D ;D

Jan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 00:46 BST (UK) »
I'd look you up in a minute! ;D  Jeany

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 09:38 BST (UK) »
Seriously Jeany, if you do get the chance in the future, I'd be more than happy to be your Shrewsbury Tour Guide :D

Jan

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 13:17 BST (UK) »
OK Jeany, are you sitting down?!!!

I have phoned the Archives, and found out where the Blunt family had their chemist...............

23 WYLE COP

I am feeling rather excited ;D

I see that 23 Wyle Cop is mentioned in T P Blunt's obit in the list of wreaths:

J.E. Henshaw and all at 23, Wyle Cop. 

Now that is interesting.

Anyway, at last we now know where they were...........I guess you would like a photo :D  The answer is yes, of course I will ;)

Jan