Author Topic: Rathdrum Workhouse 1840's  (Read 49992 times)

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Rathdrum Workhouse 1840's
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 May 06 03:38 BST (UK) »
Och Chris, the old evolution thingy must be acting up!!!!

Pat ;D
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 May 06 03:44 BST (UK) »
Possibly a shortage of razor blades in the Workhouse, Pat :D
I just hope we are not expected to assist with the task of finding his ancestors :D

Offline trev1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 June 06 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathleen,
Have just seen your query on the rootschat page re Rathdrum workhouse. From memory there are v. good records for Rathdrum including Indoor Registers.
But perhaps the place to check is www.workhouses.org.uk
It's a brilliant website.
trevor McClaughlin

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 June 06 11:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Trevor
Thanks so much for your message.  I did get onto the site you mentioned but got a bit lost!   Can you please "show me the way".   I typed in my ancestors name but came up with nothing.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Kathleen
Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.

Offline trev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 June 06 03:33 BST (UK) »
Dear Kathleen,
I see what you mean--all the links don't work. I recommended Peter Higginbotham's site because it has a list of the records that exist. Normally one would simply type the name of the workhouse you are interested in  to the 'search' space currently at the top left hand of the page of www.workhouses.org

Unfortunately the link to Wicklow library doesn't work that well as your previous correspondents noted.

I'd suggest sending an email to Wicklow library asking what records they have for Rathdrum workhouse. I'd do the same for the National Archives of Ireland.

You won't find  people's names from the Indoor register (if it exists) online. You'd have to ask a researcher to look for you. You might try the Wicklow family history society.

Incidentally i seem to remember a descendant of Bridget's telling her story in Clann an Ghorta the newsletter for descendants of the famine orphans put out by Terrie Pollard. You might like to send a message to Terrie at rustnastraw1 [AT] yahoo.com

The celebration of the opening of the monument at Hyde park Barracks in Sydney will be 3rd Sept this year. All descendants of the orphan girls are most welcome.

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [AT] with @

Offline kmdryd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 July 06 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Trev
Thanks for all the information which I will follow up on.
I have just recently (after I posted my query) been in contact with Eric who is researching Bridget.  He sent me some info. and was very helpful.   I also subscribe to Clannan Ghorta and was there the day of the dedication to our orphans.  I submitted the information about Bridget and her sisters.

When I began I only knew that Bridget was from Wicklow but with the help of Eric and the information I received from a professional researcher, I am narrowing down my research to a certain area.  Great news.

Thank you for your reply and interest.
Kathleen

Frost, Jarvis, Bower, King, Whiles, Dawson, Ross, McKenzie, Clemson, Eagles, Stanton, Gale, Sharpe, Newson, Hines, Howard, Williams, Watkins, Cupitt, Penrose,Carey, Tuck, Malyon, Moore, Bensley, Nunn, Doyle.

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 August 09 15:08 BST (UK) »
I too am researching famine orphan girls from Rathdrum Workhouse. Sisters Bridget and Mary Moore (daughters of John and Honor, both deceased) came to Australia on the 'William and Mary', arriving 21 Nov 1849. Bridget, who married William Phillips in Jan 1851, was my great-great-grandmother.

I have not been able to find out anything about any of the family other than what is available via 'Barefoot and Pregnant?' Vol 2 and the Famine Orphan Memorial website. Any additional suggestions/tips/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Giuliana in Australia
Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 August 09 15:33 BST (UK) »
not sure if the years fit - but there are a few possible matches for baptisms around the 1830s for Bridget Moore with a fathers name of John on the Irish Family History Foundation website at www.irish-roots.ie  - there are 8 in total between 1829 and 1856

The IFHF only hold RC baptism records for Co. Wicklow at the moment and the details are in the form of transcripts which cost €5 each to view.

None seem to be in the Rathdrum parish

Shane   
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline giuliana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 August 09 15:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that prompt reply - as you were replying, I was "signing up" to search the IFHF site for Armagh (different part of family) as I couldn't see anything for Wicklow. I'll look more carefully when it's not 12.30am...

Giuliana
Phillips; Mitchell; Retallick; Moore; Sheridan; Sheppard; Louden; McNicol; Leitch; Newton; Newell; McClure; Sheridan; Loffel; Chaplin