Author Topic: Hopkins/Devaney of Dunmore  (Read 6526 times)

Offline crabbya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hopkins/Devaney of Dunmore
« on: Saturday 01 October 05 12:13 BST (UK) »
I hope someone can help!  I am seeking Michael Hopkins and Margaret Devaney of Dunmore, Galway.  They married in the mid to late 1840's and had the following children who eventually settled and married in the Concord, MA area

Mary married McWalter/Qualter (of Galway)
Ellen married Mulcahey ( of Roscommon )
John m Fallon ( of Crossmolina Mayo)
Michael m Coppinger

We believe that there was another brother Patrick who stayed in Ireland.  He visited the families in Concord in the early 1900S shortly before John's death.

I have searched the Parish registers to no avail, some marriages from the registry offices etc.  Griffiths does list a Michael in Dunmore, but I have been unable to come up with any info...which even remotely matches what I have.

I have been in contact with other 3rd generation members from different branches and we all have the same information!!

Thanks
Downing/Hurley/Lane/Quinlan  Cork
Hopkins/Devaney/McWalter/Qualter/Lyons  Galway
Fallon/Donnellan Mayo
Mulcahey/Mulcahy Roscommon
Reilly/Riley Sligo

Offline Mrwally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hopkins/Devaney of Dunmore
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 November 05 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Well, my guess is there is a good chance this Hopkins family is connected to the James Hopkins born around 1840 who married Margaret Walters born abt 1842 in Dunmore. Walter(s), Qualter(s) & the Mc versions were recorded as the Preist or lister saw fit. James died before they had children and in 1880 Margaret moved in with her brother Thomas in Boston. I have a copy of the marriage parish record if you are interested.

Offline crabbya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 November 05 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Yes please!  This would be the first concrete proof the the Hopkins came from Dunmore.
Any other info that crosses your path would be appreciated.

Thank you so much,

Crabby
Fallon/Donnellan Mayo
Reilly/Riley Sligo

Offline Mrwally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 01:57 GMT (UK) »
My database shows Margaret Walters married James Hopkins Jan 16, 1859. I never found a birth record for Margaret but two of her brothers were born in Dunmore and two were born close by in Tuam. The marriage was in Tuam and Thomas Walters & Margaret MacCormack were the wittnesses. I coppied the actual record from the parish register but I can't seem to locate it now.
There are a lot of Hopkins in that area - especially when you look at Co Mayo just across the line. I have another  record of Richard Qualter marriage to Margaret Hopkins Sept 15, 1808 in the parish of Tuam. Wittneses were Malachy Hopkins & Richard Hughes. The Hughes surname also connects to the Walters line as well as most of the other sponsors & wittnesses I find on other records - one big happy family!!!

Offline crabbya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you again!  Are you getting this info from the LDS films?  The copy I have searching is very damaged and I have had a challenging time reading the records.  (I also never knew that I had the ability to read Latin)

Would you reccommend joining Ancestry UK for more access to records?  I do know I have another trip to Ireland in my future!

Thanks again and I would appreciate any help, and or guidance.

Crabby

Fallon/Donnellan Mayo
Reilly/Riley Sligo

Offline Mrwally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Interesting nickname you have, Crabby... I assume your parents didn't hang that one on you :-)

There are several LDS films for that area and I believe all are hard to read. You probably know you can get the film #'s from the LDS site http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp.
The marriage record of James Hopkins to Margaret Walters (my G Aunt) was on one of the films I ordered from Salt Lake (# 1279206, 1279208 or 926234) but, as I mentioned before, my copy is hiding from me at this time - or as they might say in Ireland "It's escaped". I have reviewed several other films but there are quite a few we don't have at the local LDS library so I'll order more in the future.

As far as the Ancestry UK goes, I subscribe to it and find it useful but it really irritates me because it seems every time they add a bunch of records, you need to add another subscription to access it. I believe you could get a trial subscription and cancel if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Maybe we'll see you in Ireland as my wife & I are planning another visit - perhaps the first two weeks in Sept 2006.

Wally

Offline crabbya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 December 05 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for your response!

:)Crabby is actually a shortened version of the complete nickname given to me by a brother!  ....Long story..... Ah, but the name lives on!

Are you researching McWalters?

Thanks,

Crabby
Fallon/Donnellan Mayo
Reilly/Riley Sligo

Offline righthererightnow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 April 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi crabbya, the people that you are researching should all in a book called:

Family history of the Donnellys and the Crushells of Belmont, Co. Galway by Fr James J Donnelly.

I read it some years ago because I was researching Margaret Devaney's family. She was one of the Devaneys of Lissananny, Kilconly, Co Galway. She was born in 1819 and died around 1911 (daughter of David Devaney and Mary Connell). She married Michael Hopkins who was from Russelltown, Miltown, Co. Galway. I never took down who their children were at the time but I'm certain that their descendants were listed.

Offline crabbya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 April 10 01:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you! Thank you!  Thank you!

This is a great breakthrough for the Devaney family and your lead is very much appreciated.  That is my Michael Hopkins in Russeltown and I couldn't be happier with this confirmation.

Thank you!

Crabby
Fallon/Donnellan Mayo
Reilly/Riley Sligo