Author Topic: 1871 look up please  (Read 1012 times)

Offline robbyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1871 look up please
« on: Saturday 01 October 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have posted to request this info before but have had no luck in finding this couple, l have them both on 61 census but cannot locate them anywhere, l know that they died in 1872 & 1879 ......sorry l'm going on if anyone has any idea's or can help in anyway l would be very grateful.

William SALISBURY born 1832 Bury St Edmunds- Bootmaker- died 1879 BSE
Susan/Susanna Salisbury born 1826 Stanstead-died 1872 BSE
Thomas (son) born 1866 Stanstead

Kind Regards

Robert

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 October 05 20:45 BST (UK) »
The only thing I can think of is obviously mistranscription. 

Trying to find them in 1861 is a bit difficult without more information, is your William the "son in law" of Charles Catton and Eliza?  If so do you have the information that Eliza is widowed in 1871 and has her 28 year old grandson Robert living with her?

I'm assuming that William and Susanna only married after 1861, but what was her maiden name? it could be that they are living with her family?

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline robbyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 05 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

William was the son of William & Eliza Salisbury, william died in 1838 and Eliza remarried Charles Catton in 1858.

William Born 1832 married Susan Shepard on christmas day 1865, Susan had been married before and her maiden name was Smith, her parents were William & Charlotte and she was from the Stanstead area.

I agree that it is probably a transcription error as l have the death certs of both William & Susan & they died in 1879 & 1872 respectively..........sorry going on again.

Thanks for the help and advice ;D

Robert

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 October 05 21:59 BST (UK) »
Strange, there should be some Shepards around born Glemsford too, but I can't find them either, I suspect they are all together somewhere, maybe not William who would be plenty old enough to have married..... unless you know what happened to young Thomas and Jane?  Looks like Jane's husband might have been married previously too? or was Susan very young when she had William?
Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline robbyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 October 05 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I too have pondered over the Shepard family and it does seem strange that they all seem to have either died or are missing from the census, l agree that William is the son from a previous marriage unless Susan had him in her early teens ???........I will keep up with the search and who know's something may show up.

Thanks again for all your help it really is very much appreciated.

Robert