Author Topic: Duntocher families  (Read 203265 times)

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
Re: Duntocher families
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 February 06 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie: Did your Kirkwoods come from Toll cross, Shetteleston area?

Hi,
I'm afraid I don't have much on the Kirkwoods. 
My James Stewart, born abt. 1909 Duntocher, married Ina Williamina Kirkwood.
James was the son of William Stewart and Flora Murray.  I would love to find out more about Ina, if you recognize her?

Debbie
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline mk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 March 06 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have just recently started researching my family tree and this is the 1st time that i have been on this website.

My maternal grandfather was a Mochan from Duntocher, his father John Mochan (married to Catherine McGlinchey) was born in Duntocher in 1878.  His father Michael (married to Mary O'Donnell) was born in Ireland in 1843.
Mochan - Duntocher
Hamill - Duntocher
Simpson - Dunbar Haddingtonshire
Craigen - Kinning Park

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 March 06 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mk,
Boy was I happy to read your post!  John Mochan was my Granny, Mary Mochan's brother.  I don't know a lot about him, apart from the fact that he was a widower when he married Catherine McGlinchey.  My grandfather Michael Joseph (Joe) Cuthbertson was a witness at the marriage of John & Catherine. 
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 March 06 22:04 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed ... one of your other surname interests is Hamill.  Is that Hugh Hamill/Annie Mochan?
Helen
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline Debbie in B.C.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Gretta Coyle 1924 - 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 March 06 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi mk,

I see Cousin Helen has replied to you already! 
Welcome to the Rootschat forum, I bet you never thought you would find family on your first visit here?  :)

The Mochan's are collateral line to mine.  I am related through Helen's maternal line - the Stewarts.

Are you still in Scotland mk?

Deb in BC
Stewart, Moore, Murray, McLure, Beaton, McIntyre, Sinclair, Barr, Burnside, Welsh, Barker, McGibbon, Harrison, Gallacher/Gallagher, Hedley

Offline mk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 13 March 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen & Debbie,

I was amazed when I read the replies to my 1st posting.   Especially as I was starting to feel as if I had hit a brick wall.

I have traced 5 brothers and sisters to John - Ellen, Patrick, Annie, Dennis, Mary (your grandmother), and John I think is the youngest.  Do you know of anymore.

Here also comes the family scandal that I have uncovered - the Hugh Hamill, Annie Mochan connection - They are my great grandparents as my grandfather and grandmother were 1st cousins (my grandfather is the son of John and my grandmother is the daughter of Annie).
Mochan - Duntocher
Hamill - Duntocher
Craigen - Kinning Park

Offline mk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 13 March 06 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Debbie, forgot to add that I am still in Scotland, in Johnstone just outside Paisley, only about 20 minutes away from Old Kilpatrick/ Duntocher
Mochan - Duntocher
Hamill - Duntocher
Craigen - Kinning Park

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 13 March 06 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mk,
I have sent you a p.m.  We have lots to share!
Helen

Offline henryhtc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 October 07 00:23 BST (UK) »
hello all ,
hope you dont mind me throwing my hat in ,its just ive found this whole conversation and site to be so well revealing and interesting.
I only recently started researching my family history , my family goes back  a way into the history of duntocher, im henry (harry ) carey jnr, my dad was a scout master in the village back in the 50's ,my great grandfather was david smart who had the bakery shop in duntocher , were related onto the hendry's ,french ,smiths ,hamils and a whole host of others. my wife family are the mccalls also am old duntocher family

if any info i have can be of use to anyone let me know ,