Author Topic: Historical photographs, a must see!  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
Historical photographs, a must see!
« on: Sunday 02 October 05 21:30 BST (UK) »
http://lafayette.150m.com/intro.html

The above link is to some fabulous photographs taken by the  Lafayette Studios. I came across this whilst researching the photographer that took the photo that is my profile (it is my gg Aunt Caroline Matilda Ingram, taken at Lauder Brothers in Dublin C1860s, she is the 2nd Caroline in my tree I am the 5th). Lauder Bros was the father of James Lauder who became Lafayette Studios later.

The site above was developed after the discovery of 80,000 portrait negatives which were found by workmen in 1988 who had instruction to bin the lot. Fortunately they had the sense not to!! It is facinating as it provides photographic history of our Royals, aristocracy, military men and some ordinary folk from C1897.

It is useful for fashions of the ages, militaria and much more (sorry I love looking at the old historic photos) plus you never know there may be somene there who is in you tree hiding in there.

Cal
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Historical photographs, a must see!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 October 05 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hallo, Cal

Great link - this will help date a lot of family photos :)

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 October 05 21:55 BST (UK) »
Phil
I hope so.

I had forgotten about this link and I was sorting out stuff and came across it again.
Great for dating photos especially as royalty and the like where the height of fashion in those days up to Lady Di!!

C
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 05 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi C,
What a find!  Don't suppose old Matilda is in there, is she? I'm going to have a good old rummage through that site - may as well say goodbye to another day!  ;D
P x

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 December 05 00:20 GMT (UK) »
This is what I got from the link.

This site has exceeded its limit of 5 Gigabytes of transfer for the month. You may buy extra Gigabytes of transfer by logging in to the user menu and choosing "upgrade".  :(

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 December 05 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I cannot see it either. What a shame.

Jane  :D
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 December 05 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I can't believe it (in true Victor Meldrew style) I reckon the site is down then????  :'(

Try this link

http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/1158_lafayette/

This also gives some good picces and information  too ;D ;D ;D

Cal

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 December 05 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cal

This one works. What a good link.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk