Author Topic: 1841 / 1851 census - S&N Genealogy, Stepping Stones - help!  (Read 2903 times)

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
1841 / 1851 census - S&N Genealogy, Stepping Stones - help!
« on: Monday 03 October 05 12:50 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for advice before my eyes go even more squiffy!

I have the name indices for Lancashire for 41 & 51 from SN Genealogy, which gives me the main reference & their "page number".

Is there any way at all to use this with the Stepping Stones images other than trawling through hundreds of pages[/i]   ???

Should I:
give in & buy the SN full set of discs
get a new pair of specs
ask my boss for more time off so I can travel to Manchester to the Library more often  :-\

Anyone got any helpful advice or radical suggestions   :)

SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 / 1851 census - S&N Genealogy, Stepping Stones - help!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 October 05 14:10 BST (UK) »
I am not sure about this but I would assume it is actually the folio number that you have.  In which case you go to the main film number of HO 107 123 or whatever and then folio 18.  Each folio covers two pages so you need to look at both.   The folio number is generally found at the top right hand corner of the page in bold type - almost stamped on as an afterthought!
With luck ancestry.co.uk will have the 1851 for the whole of England on soon and the cost of their subscription is not that much more than a set of CDs for one county!
Andrea