Author Topic: Cook/Cooke Family Kilwaughter Castle  (Read 5086 times)

Offline AUSSIETIMM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cook/Cooke Family Kilwaughter Castle
« on: Tuesday 17 August 04 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Viewers from all over the World...
My name is Timm Cooke from Australia I have been studying my fathers family tree now some twenty + years with questions still un answered?

My questions I ask of anyone whom see's of my query might be of assistance would be most appreciated...

Of my surname it came from the Kilwaughter Castle in Larne in Co Antrim Northen Ireland of when? as were to beleive the king whom ran the castle could only call them by of there occupation thus being chef's (Cooks) as far as were be tolled they were of dark skin knowen to what country? or Race?

I have asked and visted PRONI and UHF and of LDS in Salt Lake City in asking for help but still no sucess only ??? un turned.. One thing if it does survive is census of those employed at Kilwaughter Castle as from going through thousands of Recounds nothing was recorded even the 1851 only having my grt grt grt grt grandfathers those being of Andrew, John and James, William ,Andrew Jnr, Robert, Ann and Rachel, Mary, Mathew, John Jnr,
Nancy, Hannah, Jane, Mary Jnr all from Drumindonaghy in Larne but nothing in early census or late of the ocupants and its employee's of Kilwaughter Castle... In your way of helping I will indevor my check up's hear in Australia if requieing so....Hoping you can help someone?? :-[ ;)

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: Cook/Cooke Family Kilwaughter Castle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 August 04 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Timm,

welcome to RootsChat.   ;D

The castle was built by John Nash (1752-1835) about 1803 for the Agnew family and is now a ruin,  so you may find records of your ancestor's employment if the Agnew Family kept these records. 

It would be worth you putting a message in the Antrim Page on our forum,  as it is more likely to be seen by anyone with an interest in the area,  or knowledge of the castle.  Just click on the link below to go to the Antrim board and post a message.

http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=51.0

Good Luck

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.