Author Topic: 1851/1861 Census Lookup for Elder Family  (Read 854 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1851/1861 Census Lookup for Elder Family
« on: Tuesday 04 October 05 04:16 BST (UK) »
I hope someone can help. I have some lost relatives between the period of 1851 - 1861. I am quite sure they would have been living in or close to Glasgow. (Possibly the Bridgeton area.)

Names known would be: John, Margaret, Robert, Thomas, Isaac, Joseph, Harriet, Martha.

Some may have been from Ireland.

I have found some of them in the 1871 and later census'. Some of them moved back to Ireland in the late 1860's.

Any information with regards to the Elder Family from Glasgow would be appreciated.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/1861 Census Lookup for Elder Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 11:53 BST (UK) »
There are several elder families in Glasgow in the 1851 index .... these are from Bridgeton

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1851/1861 Census Lookup for Elder Family
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 October 05 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying to my post.

I believe at least one of these families are from my line. I was hoping to find the others, but it looks as though they were good at hiding.

My gg-grandparents seemed to move back and forth between Ireland and Scotland. (I have no idea why.) The older children were born in Ireland, middle children in Scotland and then the last two in Ireland again. Some of the children then moved back to Glasgow when they were first married, and the others remained in Ireland.

I was hoping to catch some on the Scotland census', as there are none for Ireland.

Thanks again.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie