Author Topic: Brock - Thurso to Buffalo, NY!  (Read 17499 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brock - Thurso to Buffalo, NY!
« on: Tuesday 04 October 05 14:08 BST (UK) »
Researching Brock family in Caithness. Anyone recognise the name William Manson Brock (stone polisher) b June 4 1836, m'd Janet Thomson on April 13 1860? Generally trying to find out more about the Brocks in Caithness.

I now know that Janet Thomson emigrated to Buffalo, USA after she was widowed in 1906, to be followed years later in 1923 by one of her sons, Robert Thomson Brock  and his wife Mary Ann Shirreffs and three children, whom I have found on the Ellis Island website. I am puzzled though, why I cannot find the emigration of the mother on there. Perhaps she emigrated to Canada and moved across the border to Buffalo?

A lot of the descendants I know about worked in the granite industry in Aberdeen.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline ysabeau

• RootsChat Senior
  • The next links in the mitochondrial DNA chain.....
    • View Profile
Re: Brock in Caithness
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not knowing what information you have already, found the following births to William Manson Brock/ Janet Thomson @ Thurso on IGI :

30/01/1861 - William
20/08/1862 - Simon Thomson
02/09/1864 - Margaret Bremner
02/02/1867 - James
20/05/1871 - Andrew Thomson
20/08/1873 - Thomas Mowat

Found the family in 1871 census @ Wilson Street, Thurso :

William M Brock - Head - Married - 33 years - Pensioner (followed by what looks like East India Co, but not certain) - born Thurso

Janet Brock - Wife - Married - 28 years - born Reay

William Brock - Son - Unmarried - 10 years - born Thurso

Simon Brock - Son - Unmarried - 8 years - born Thurso

Margaret Brock - Daughter - Unmarried - 6 years - born Thurso

James Brock - Son - Unmarried - 4 years - born Thurso

Donald Brock - Son - Unmarried - 2 years - born Thurso

Ysabeau
Aberdeenshire : Anderson + Baxter + Bruce + Dickson + Emslie + Hendry + Hunter + Laing + Lawson + Maitland + Reid + Robb + Walker + Watt + Williams

Banffshire/Morayshire : Farquharson + Gordon + Grant + Lamb + Lawson + Stewart/Stuart

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brannan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brock - Thurso to Buffalo, NY!
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 November 05 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor John Brock who was born somewhere in Caithness around 1790. He was a shoemaker and moved to Great Yarmouth. I would be interested in any information.

James Brannan

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 05 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

One of the earliest Brocks I have in the tree I am researching with a date is William Manson Brock (b 4 June 1836). He had brothers and sisters: James, Anne, Christian, Donald and John (b 1834). So although there may be a link to your earlier John, I haven't yet got that far!

William Manson Brock's parents were William Brock (b 17 Aug 1803) and Janet Campbell. I think her parents were John Campbell and Margaret Gunn (b 1736 in Thurso).

If you think there may be an earlier link, please keep in touch! Thanks for your interest...
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 November 05 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brock researchers. I have Brock in my line from Wick. I have made up an excel spread of all Brocks in Caithness I could find. Youre welcome to it to add any other names you have.
Runner
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Just thought I'd update anyone who has been following this thread. I made an enquiry to an email address on the Net where I thought I might have a clue as to what happened to this family. It was long shot... a cemetery list with one of the same names. The e-mail address turned out to be someone who is not only connected, but was also brought up in the house the Brock family originally stayed in when they first emigrated to the USA! How's that for a piece of luck! It just goes to show you have to try any clue, however small. You just never know.
I had to smile when I read on the 1930 Census (USA) that Robert Thomson Brock, who went over to the States as a Stonemason, was now a 'retailer of cigars.'

Thanks to all who have replied and shown an interest...

Offline BRO

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 January 06 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
William Manson Brock was the brother of my great great grandfather John Brock (23.04.1834) Thurso. One of John's sons Edward (Ted) (1868) moved to New Zealand and   his brother Dan did also. Ted had two children and the son Edward (Eddie) had two children. The son George was my father. He died last year. I have a brother and sister. I have no children and  they both have three each. Am very interested in family info. Will be in LA briefly in Feb 2006 if any descendants are there I would like to make contact.

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 March 06 13:17 GMT (UK) »
An update if anyone is following this:

William Manson Brock's parents are William Brock and  Janet Campbell, buried at St Peter's, Thurso. She died 9.8.1850 aged 52. Buried with her are son James d 16.1.1851 aged 23 and his wife Mary Graham d 12.1.1851 aged 25. The IGI has William Brock senior as William Broake or Miller, his parents being Donald Broake and Catharine Miller. He was born at Ormley. Janet Campbell's parents we are fairly sure are James Campbell and Christian Gray married April 28, 1797 in Thurso and not as first thought.

Still looking for Thurso Brock's or any further information!

Offline jann25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 06 22:33 BST (UK) »
I am new to on line research so you can imagine my surprise to find this title while browsing through the site.  Janet Thomson Brock was my great grandmother and Robert Thomson Brock was my grandfather.  She died in 1935 at 99, I believe, when she was living with her daughter Jesse Thomson and her family on the next street over from my grandparents.  I was only three at time so I have only vague family stories to refer to but I believe she had had 12 children.  There were other family members living in Buffalo involved in the stone monument business,  I've heard,  and the widow of one of Robert's brothers lived next door to my grandparents.

In reference to the East India company, I have a note written years ago from my aunt that said her grandfather William Brock had been in the Army in India but have no further information on that. 

As I understand it my grandfather's change of occupation was due to ill health.  This may have been due to the fact he was unable to work in the stone yards any more, possibly due to silicosis and/or his service in WW I.    So the family bought a small newspaper/ cigar store in order that he could have a business in Buffalo.  He died in 1931 before I was born so again all I know is family stories. 

I was born in Buffalo but no longer live there so I have no access to local records but am beginning to research the Census data that is on line here and will be looking for more material.  But I do want to thank you so much for adding all this information to my family history.