Author Topic: Mary Poole and Thomas Poole, son of Llanrhaidr  (Read 11203 times)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Poole and Thomas Poole, son of Llanrhaidr
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 20:14 BST (UK) »
1861 continuted....

RG9/4261, folio 55, page 13 - Haughton, Llandysilio

Harriet Poole age 35 & unmarried, Occupier of 8 acres (??) born Llanymynech Salop and two sisters: Jane 54 and Mary 52 both unmarried, Out of Employment and born Llanymynech.

RG9/4261, folio 74, page 6 - Llandrinio

Mary Ann Poole 48 yr old Annuitant born Oswestry Salop, Lodger with Richard and Mary Jones.  

RG9/4262, folio 47, page 9 - Bronbedw, Meifod

William Poole a 12 year old Servant for the Lloyd family.  Bron in Meifod, Montgomeryshire.

RG9/4263, folio 31, page 19 - Clawdd, Guilsfield

Benjamine Poole 54 year old farmer born Meiford, and wife Jane age 51 born Llansanitffraid.  Son David age 15 born Guilsfield.

2 Boarders Elizabeth Davies age 4 born Liverpool Lancashire and James Jones age 1 born Guilsfield.

RG9/4265, folio 35, page 6 - Church Street, Llanrhaiadr ym Mochnant (Denbighshire)

William Poole 58 yr old Rural Post Messenger born Oswestry Salop, and wife Mary age 59 born Oswestry Salop.

Son Thomas age 37 unmarried, House & Furniture (??) born Oswestry Salop
Son Joseph age 12 born Oswestry Salop
Grand-daughter Susannah Howarth age 4 born Bury Lancashire

Phew!!! thats it ;D

Let me know if you need anything else.

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I see that you have put your POOLE interest into the Surname Interest Table.   

There are two other Rootschat members reasearching POOLE from Shropshire.  If you do a general search for POOLE it will bring up a list of everyone researching that name.  Click on each member and you can send them a message.

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 20:24 BST (UK) »
I can't keep away can I?!!!!!!!

My great-grandfather was born in Upton Magna Shropshire but I have never been able to locate his parents.  He was born about 1834, name of JOSEPH POOLE.

Believe it not, Upton Magna is about 3 miles from my house :D  and I have a digital camera, so let me know if you would like any photos taken. 

Upton Magna parish records are held at the Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf

Jan

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 20:25 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU AGAIN JAN - I will check them up

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 20:52 BST (UK) »
I can't keep away can I?!!!!!!!

My great-grandfather was born in Upton Magna Shropshire but I have never been able to locate his parents. He was born about 1834, name of JOSEPH POOLE.

Dear Jan

I did just have a look at the url you gave me - and saw that it is a tiny hamlet of just over 300 or so inhabitants.  Do you know if it is a FARMING area at all?  The family story was that my great-great-grandparents were FARMERS.

I did a search for photographs but could find none but maybe you know of a good url. Yes, I would be very interested to see a photograph/picture of Upton Magna.

Does the school date back to the 19th century or is it rebuilt and modern?  I just wonder where my great-grandfather might have gone to school.

Of course, I am taking a leap of imagination to think that the Poole family stayed in Upton Magna, but I did see a brief mention of another Poole born in Upton Magna in about 1840 on BMD, so I think it is possible that they might have stayed.

It is a very small world indeed that you live only 3 miles or so from the place where my direct ancestors lived and worked!

Thank you so much - you have given me several leads to check and I shall see if I can make some connections - it might take me a few weeks!

best wishes

Imison

Believe it not, Upton Magna is about 3 miles from my house :D and I have a digital camera, so let me know if you would like any photos taken.

Upton Magna parish records are held at the Shropshire Archives in Shrewsbury http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/archives.nsf

Jan

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 21:27 BST (UK) »

Offline imison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 October 05 21:33 BST (UK) »

Just found this

http://www.uptonmagna.com/index.htm

Dear Jan - pure GENIUS - thank you so much - most fascinating, and to find out that it probably goes back to Saxon times.  Are the old cruck framed houses still inhabited do you know?  That truly is fascinating.

Are there farms there do you know?  And if so, are they arable or livestock or mixed?  I know that farmers were part of the family.

Also, is there a church?  Some of my family were clergy and others teachers as well as bakers [and maybe brewers].  I think one may have run an inn.

Thank you again for all your dedicated work and research

Best wishes

Imison

Offline Goorikidz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Lloydy

Harriett Poole and her sister are my relies, who lived at Haughton in 1881.  gggggrand Aunties.  They appear to be the only Poole relatives that I can find who
were still part of the family that I have found back to 1766 in Llanymynech.
I descend through their brother brother Jeffrey Poole.
I have been in contact with Imison before and wouldn't be surprised if the two families were connected somehow.

Janette

1861 continuted....

RG9/4261, folio 55, page 13 - Haughton, Llandysilio

Harriet Poole age 35 & unmarried, Occupier of 8 acres (??) born Llanymynech Salop and two sisters: Jane 54 and Mary 52 both unmarried, Out of Employment and born Llanymynech.

RG9/4261, folio 74, page 6 - Llandrinio

Mary Ann Poole 48 yr old Annuitant born Oswestry Salop, Lodger with Richard and Mary Jones.  

RG9/4262, folio 47, page 9 - Bronbedw, Meifod

William Poole a 12 year old Servant for the Lloyd family.  Bron in Meifod, Montgomeryshire.

RG9/4263, folio 31, page 19 - Clawdd, Guilsfield

Benjamine Poole 54 year old farmer born Meiford, and wife Jane age 51 born Llansanitffraid.  Son David age 15 born Guilsfield.

2 Boarders Elizabeth Davies age 4 born Liverpool Lancashire and James Jones age 1 born Guilsfield.

RG9/4265, folio 35, page 6 - Church Street, Llanrhaiadr ym Mochnant (Denbighshire)

William Poole 58 yr old Rural Post Messenger born Oswestry Salop, and wife Mary age 59 born Oswestry Salop.

Son Thomas age 37 unmarried, House & Furniture (??) born Oswestry Salop
Son Joseph age 12 born Oswestry Salop
Grand-daughter Susannah Howarth age 4 born Bury Lancashire

Phew!!! thats it ;D

Let me know if you need anything else.

Jan

BONUS: Meath Ireland
BULL: Warwickshire
CANDLER: Essex;
CHILDS: Hampshire; IOW
COLES: Worcestershire, & Newport Wales; Australia
GAUDIN: Nottinghamshire; Australia, New Caledonia, France
HIGGERSON; Middlesex;
LLOYD: Montgomeryshire Wales
LITTLEWOOD: possibly Cornwall
POOLE: Llanymynech Wales, Sussex, Shropshire, Oswestry, Warwickshire, Australia;
POWELL: Shrewsbury, Shropshire
RAINBOW: Worcestershire
RAYNER: Wivenhoe, Essex, Australia
WILLIAMS: Monmouthshire;

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 December 06 22:37 GMT (UK) »

Hello Janette

It's good to see this tread revived after two years in hibernation ;D ;D

How have you and Imison progressed with your research?  Any further forwards, or should that be backwards? :D

Let me know if either of you need any more look ups......I have an annual subscription to Ancestry so can check all the census for you.

Best wishes

Jan