Author Topic: 1841 and 1851 census lookup please  (Read 4984 times)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1841 and 1851 census lookup please
« on: Wednesday 05 October 05 11:28 BST (UK) »
Greetings from Australia!

I am trying to identify any siblings of Henry Reed, who was born in Whitehaven about 1845. His parents were Ann Graham and James Reed. James was born circa 1805 and Ann circa 1803. Both parents were born in Whitehaven. They married in 1833 at the Holy Trinity Church in Whitehaven. Hopefully the censuses will pick up some names.

Also of interest would be the employment of the family members and where they lived if that information is available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 and 1851 census lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 October 05 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have looked at 51 and 61 for you and failed to find them.  I do not have access to the 41 census.   One of the problems is the many ways of spelling Reed.   Can you quote a census when you have found them?   It might help.  Have you searched the film of the parish register?  You can order them at LDS centres.  Worldwide and listed on www.familysearch.org
Sorry not to be more positive.
Andrea

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 05 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hello and thank you for replying to my post.
As a child I can remember seeing Reed spelt as Reid occassionally, but the spelling was generally acknowledged as Reed by the family. The BDM certificates that I have confirm that. I do agree it is a name that can have a variety of spellings and this does make it difficult.

I was hoping that because they seemed to come from a specified area in Cumberland it might be help.  Their marriage was in Whitehaven and so was both their parents. Ann's parents were William Graham and Ann Hallifax and they married at St Nicholas Church, Whitehaven in 1799. William was born in 1771.
Apparently James was born in 1805, son of John Reed and Mary ?. James appears in the 1881 census aged 75 married to Elizabeth, thirty years his younger.

This information has come to me in an email from a lady in Vancouver.

And that's all I have to go on. Can you tell me what denomination this church is please?

As I live in a remote, rural community in Australia, access to the records you speak of would be difficult. We don't even have a permanent library in the town...once a week a bookmobile visits for about 6 hours to give our community regular access to borrowing books! 

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 05 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
I would think the St Nicholas will be C of E.  Almost certainly.  It is not an area I know particularly.  I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.    If the family were literate then they could well have corrected spellings of Reed on birth certficates however the census enumerator usually filled in his pages once he got home.  They would not have any control over the spelling so it is worth checking all variants.  Read, Reid, Reade etc. 
Do you have a subscription to www.ancestry.co.uk?   If not it may be worth it if you are relying on a computer to do most of your research.   It now has census from 1851 - 1901 on it and plans for the 1841.  The transcriptions are a bit odd sometimes but on the whole it is worth every penny.  The equivalent of a Sunday paper cost per week here if you take the annual sub.
The registers for Whitehaven are at Carlisle record office so it might be worth contacting them to see if they have a written transcript on the shelves that can be searched quickly.
Further census records for you.
In 1861 he is a widower age 55 Occupation Farmer at Lonsdale Place Moresby ref RG9 3945 F61 p2 plus Housekeeper
1871 Moresby ref RG10 5252  F49 p14 Master Mariner age 61.  Elizabeth 43 plus servant   If he really is a Master Mariner thn he may be in Lloyd's Captains register which is online somewhere I think.  Kept at Kew Record Office.
1891 Lonsdale Place Harrington age 85 living on own means and Blind.   Elizabeth 56 plus servant Rg12 4312 F133 p7.
Worth the price of that paper??
Andrea

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 October 05 10:21 BST (UK) »
I have linked to a transcription of part of the 1851 census on the main Cumberland board.  Anyway, here is the link

http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/3121/

It has

James REED (wid) 45 Ship owner, Whitehaven
John REED (father, wid) 77 Retired cabinet maker, Whitehaven
Jane FOX (unm) 45 House Servant, Brigham

Living at Lonsdale Place, Moresby

There are other REEDs in the district.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 October 05 11:06 BST (UK) »
That's good.  Now all you need is an 1841 look up.  His occupation does seem to vary but as he is obviously fairly wealthy he will appear in directories and will almost certainly have left a will.  Have you got that?
Lots of ways forward now as you also know he is a widower by 1851 so can look for his wife's death.
Andrea

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 October 05 11:20 BST (UK) »
Whitehaven shipping list

http://www.stevebulman.f9.co.uk/cumbria/whitehaven_shipping.html

"Hannah"     Brig     Built-Dublin     Master-Joseph Gregory     Owner-James Reed & others

A whole page on the ship Hannah here

http://www.mightyseas.co.uk/marhist/whitehaven/built_elsewhere/hannah.htm

"The New York Times", 26th April 1854, page 4.

HALIFAX, Tuesday, April 26.- The Royal Mail steamship Arabia, Capt.Judkins, from Liverpool, on Saturday, the 15th instant, arrived here at 1 o'clock this morning..... the Arabia reports : April 19, 6 P.M., lat.49 deg. lon.32 deg., saw a brig with signals of distress flying. Bore down to her and found her to be the Hannah, of Whitehaven, in a sinking condition. Took off her crew, together with the crew of the brig Helena, of Liverpool - twenty-three persons in all, ten of whom were sick. The crew of the Helena (which foundered in lat.51 deg. lon.51 deg.) had been taken off by the Hannah."

This would appear to have occurred in mid-Atlantic.

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 October 05 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Elsie Ellen,
Sorry I can't find them in Whitehaven on the 1841 :'(
Ange
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 October 05 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Ange.