Author Topic: MORONI in Newbury & Reading 1850s  (Read 3026 times)

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
MORONI in Newbury & Reading 1850s
« on: Thursday 06 October 05 12:06 BST (UK) »
Does anyone else have Berkshire ancestors with a Christian name MORONI?   I've discovered an entry in the IGI for Joseph Moroni GREEN born 13 Mar 1850, who is recorded in the 1851 household of Joseph GREEN, Elder of Latter Day Saints Meeting, at St Mary's Butts, Reading St Mary.  It is only now, eight years after I obtained copy birth certificate, that I have realized the significance of the Maroni [sic] second Christian name of Francis WESTALL born Newbury 1852, which I now believe was mis-transcribed by the Superintendent Registrar!  The name had puzzled me for years:  an indication of Italian forefathers?  a name of a barge on the Kennet & Avon Canal?  No, Moroni was the son of the prophet Mormon!   :-[  The WESTALLs of Newbury appear to have been early members of the Church of LDS, since lapsed.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone else researching LDS Church records.
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk