Author Topic: Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid  (Read 1977 times)

Offline maryanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
« on: Thursday 06 October 05 19:14 BST (UK) »
Is it possible for anyone to find the death dates for the two people below for me please. I am hoping that they may be the two people whom I am looking for.They were found on the  Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid.

COLLINS Thomas H. Kirkland Lake Temiskaming Teck TMK-
BEARE Elizabeth Kirkland Lake Temiskaming Teck TMK-

The two whom I am looking for, Thomas and Elizabeth Collins emigrated from Cornwall,England to Michigan and during WW1 they appeared to be living in Ontario,Canada.

I was told that the gravestones started reflecting womens maiden names which is why I am interested in the name Elizabeth Beare.

Elizabeth Collins  maiden name was Elizabeth John Jeffrey Beare.

Any help pointing me into the right direction will be very much appreciated.

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 05 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi maryanne

If you go back to the OCFA website, you will find the reference codes with their full source detail. your code is TMK-

So you write to whatever organization this is and request copies of the gravestones. There is usually a fee, everything should be explained on OCFA website.

Once you are at the front page of OCFA, look for this "Once you have located an ancestor in OCFA and know the Reference number, you are ready to contact the contributing organization for more information"  and click on it - that's what you want to read

Your other recourse is to join, and post to the ONTARIO-L@rootsweb.com mailing list -- and ask for a lookup. You might get lucky and find a subscriber with access to that cemetery data

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/CAN/ONTARIO.html will get you to the page for joining the list

If all fails, you can consult the microfilm for this cemetery

Kirkland Lake Cemetery, HWYs 66 & 112. MS 451, Reel 119 (ontario archives film #)

Having said all that, did you notice the burial info for

COLLINS Thomas (of Cornwall, Eng.) Taylor Street, Bruce Mines Algoma Bruce Mines SSM-

btw there was no 'rule' about gravestones giving women's maiden names in Ontario - it was a personal (and perhaps financial) choice
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline maryanne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 October 05 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thank-you very much for your help.

I belive that I have been told about:
 COLLINS Thomas (of Cornwall, Eng.) Taylor Street, Bruce Mines Algoma Bruce Mines SSM-  before and it wasn't the person whom I have been looking for.

I am hoping that with Beare and Collins buried in the same cemetery that they are the correct people.