Author Topic: RAF Haydock  (Read 165624 times)

Offline Cerura

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Haydock
« Reply #387 on: Sunday 17 July 16 11:00 BST (UK) »

Hi lynn, how lovely to hear from you, names, W / O Breeze I used to stay with his wife, as she hated being on her own, they had a big alsatian dog, who let any one in, I even got breakfast in bed and not go to work before 10 am. Squadron leader Nolan C/O,one name I have tried to remember,she kept in touch after I left, she was from liverpool, in admin, wasnt you lynn was it? The memory is so bad these days, Sgt Mansell was in charge p b x  we had various cpls Eastwood one. Pat Haynes and Husband Bob ( I think) they came in from Aden the first couple to be posted together, they went to thorny as he became an Interpreter, they lived in m/ qs. Jenny Booth, came from Sheffield, she was the smallest WRAF, met her in lincoln, my fault we didnt keep in touch.  Ann price, she married Terry Allen, Elenor Lesley ( Elf) Jean Lilliecrap, only about 20 more to think of faces i can see, fellas Tony Liptrot, George Blackburn,in from Gan, Margaret mgackie , she married Fred ?so many faces, I will dig.out photos may jog our rusty memories, the one name from h q mccormick, she was I think local WRAF, Happy Days, Tuppence, and Maria medic I think Madge Fenny Dave Askew, these are some of the few photos I have, its so strange how we meet up again through others, least expected, I did love my time at Haydock, the people in the village as well, always had to allow time for a chat,  so nice to keep in touch thank you hope to hear again Veronica
[/quote]

Hi Veronica,

What a memory you have!  I certainly remember some of the names.  W/O Breeze, Dave Askew, Sqn Ldr Nolan.

I came from Liverpool and was a Local Service WRAF at the time but ended up serving 10 years. 'Sunshine Girl'  who now lives in the US also came from Liverpool; I  think she was a regular and arrived at Haydock around 1963. 

If you trawl the site there are photos of us both and also of Sqn.Ldr Nolan.

Do dig out your photos and post them.  I think we all love the trip down memory lane. 

What was it about Haydock that evokes such warm place in our hearts and a connection so many years later? 

Lynn

Offline Shady

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: Saturday 29 July 17 17:43 BST (UK) »
Just found this site. Great time at RAF Haydock, loved every minute. Remember all names mentioned above including my ex husband!
Would love to know if anyone has any info about Pam Smith, my bridesmaid in 1964. Also Betty Stott.
Hope to hear from some one who has info. Thanks

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Some records for Haydock, North West Communications and No. 53 SU (Signals Unit).

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/2?_ep=Haydock&_cr=AVIA%7CAIR&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

Most AIR and other documents, including AIR 28 and AIR 29 etc., are always original documents, so you will need to take formal identifications to obtain a 'Readers Ticket' to access the Reading Room.

Mark

"In order to obtain or renew your reader’s ticket you must have two separate forms of identification with you: one to prove your name, the other to prove your address.

You cannot use the same document for both proof of identity and address.
"
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/visit-us/researching-here/do-i-need-a-readers-ticket/

Offline Swo.man

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: Saturday 18 November 17 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone got information and/or photos of NWCC RAF Haydock
Swo.man

Offline Rayacs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: Monday 12 February 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
              I was wondering if you knew of a chap called Michael Roe/Rowe-not sure of the spelling-who worked in the higher trades group in 1962? He was freindly with my mother, Penny Hughes who worked there in a secretarial role. Any info would be welcome.
            Regards, Ray.

Offline Redarrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: Monday 09 April 18 08:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Raflad,
thanks for the info, regarding my research its still ongoing but very slow ( hitting the wall all the time) finding out anything regarding RAF Haydock seems to be hard work.
I am researching/gathering any info about Haydock itself, so any photos at all will be of help.

Anyway back to RAF Haydock, the lane outside the camp was called Haydock lane and as you know the camp itself was split in half by this road. the camp has now been completely demolished apart from one small area were the officers used to live, this is named Avery Close. The whole of the camp has been built on ( new houses etc).

I would appreciate anything at all which come to mind regarding  RAF Haydock as already mentioned its hard going.

Regards
Steve.photos of RAF Haydock, I have black and white photos of Haydock from 1967

Offline aejkia3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a Polish family that moved to RAF Haydock in 1969.  Their daughter Kasia was a very good friend of mine, and she went on to attend H.F.N. Convent, in Pitsford, Northants.  Unfortunately we then lost touch.  They lived at 12 Avery Road, RAF Haydock, and had moved from RAF Sealand.  It's almost impossible to find anyone when you don't know their surname.  I asked my Mum (94years old now, with a great memory), but she just said that it was Polish, and impossible to pronounce!  I would be very grateful for any help.

Offline Redarrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: Sunday 19 August 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
I have photos of RAF Haydock from 1967 when I was posted there. I put them on the site Haydock past and present if anyone is interested

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: Sunday 19 August 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Redarrow,

Welcome to RootsChat you can add images to your posts here by clicking on the attach button or by providing a link to where the images are.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk