Author Topic: Where are they buried?  (Read 5901 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Where are they buried?
« on: Saturday 08 October 05 10:28 BST (UK) »
Dear listers,

I'm looking for the possible burial place/s of my husband's STRATHDEE family.
George STRATHDEE died 1863
His wife Elizabeth STUART died 1873

...both in "Arnbath". 
In 1841 George (a crofter) and family were at an address noted as "Ardenbath".  in 1851 they were at "Hill of Redhythe".

My question is:  where would be a likely burial place for people who died in Arnbath in the 1860s/70s?

Thanks in advance
Prue

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Where are they buried?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 October 05 22:18 BST (UK) »
Arnbath and Redhythe are both in the parish of Fordyce, so they could be buried in either Fordyce or Portsoy. The latter is the largest town/village in the parish of Fordyce and probably nearest to Redhythe/Arnbath.

However the records of Portsoy burials were destroyed about 1927 IIRC (the minister decided they were no more use to anyone and chucked them on a bonfire, I believe).

HTH
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 July 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi - would you like me to do some detective work in the portsoy area to find some pointers as to where your rellies are?
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 06 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison  :)
A blast from the past - I'd forgotten about this thread  :)
Thank you - I'd love you to see what you could find out about the Strathdees and where they are buried...it's my husband's family, and although my own family of McKAYs came from very nearby (Bellie parish) and I've been lucky finding lots about them, the STRATHDEEs seem to be more elusive  :-\ :-\ :-\
Thank you so much for your interest - I look forward to seeing what you can come up with  :D

CHeers
Prue

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 July 06 00:24 BST (UK) »
Ok - il see what i can do...im a teacher and one of my pupils is called strathdee - from that area too...

Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 July 06 00:30 BST (UK) »
my guess is that they wil be buried in portsoy...so il try there first
Alison

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 July 06 01:32 BST (UK) »
Ok - il see what i can do...im a teacher and one of my pupils is called strathdee - from that area too...

Alison

:o Spooky!  I'd never heard of the name until I started tracing hubby's tree, but I suppose up your way the possibilities get stronger  :)

As far as I've been able to trace, these Strathdees were farmers/crofters, so there may be no headstone, but then I thought that about my McKays too, and their headstones have been wonderful, big, informative things  :D  So, I live in hope!

Good luck with the search - and thanks again  :)

Prue

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
just to let you know i havent forgotnabout the strathdees - been on holiday for a fortnight - im busy for the next couple of weeks and wont be up there cos the schools are on holiday - but i go back to school mid of this month so il have a look then
Alison

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison  :)

That's OK - take your time  :)  Those Strathdees aren't going anywhere  ;)
Enjoy your hols!

Prue