Author Topic: helen acquroff  (Read 3536 times)

Offline bryso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
helen acquroff
« on: Saturday 08 October 05 18:22 BST (UK) »
hi there,loking for more info on this lady,she was a blind pianist from Edinburgh who has a small fountain dedicated
to her in the meadows in Edinburgh.she was also a stalwart in the temperance movement and went under the name of"sister cathedral" any more info on this remarkable
lady would be greatly appreciated
denholm,acquroff,hunter,strachan

Offline the happy granny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Brain addled?..........mine too!
    • View Profile
Re: helen acquroff
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 October 05 23:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat bryso   :)

You may find this website helpful

www.fombl.com/tHistory.html

good luck

Sue
Gourlay,Peat,Porter,Smith,Kirk, from Ceres,Cupar,Kennoway,Fife<br />Coley,from Barcombe,Sussex<br />Cozens from Kingston Russel,Symonds from Symondsbury,Dorset<br />Catchpole,from Norfolk,London (Fulham)<br />Lock/e,from Somerset and London (Pimlico) Everett from Portsmouth and Alvechurch,Worcester<br />Carr/Wandes....Hampshire<br />Spicer,Fry,Fosher,Coulter,Burridge,Brewster,Hancock, Lotter from Kent and London Borders<br />Holloway from Sussex

Offline bryso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 05 07:52 BST (UK) »
thank you sue,I will give a try.new to tracing my family and to this web site,its hard  going at times but great fun.
thanks again

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 19:01 BST (UK) »
www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk would be the first best stop, I think!  This is the official site - they charge a small fee per record viewed, but they have an enormous amount of information available.

A search on Acquroff on that site  shows 31 in 1901, 25 in 1891, only 5 in 1881, 15 in 1871, plus births, marriages and deaths from both parish records and bmd certificates.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bryso

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 19:51 BST (UK) »
hi jorose,many thanks,i will get on to that straight away,
new to this game and although i realise its a marathon not a sprint,just felt i was going round in circles and everysite i tried had all the same info as the others(just a name)
thank you again.
                        BRYSO

Offline mfb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 November 15 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching Helen Acquroff after coming across her memorial at the Meadows in Edinburgh a few years ago.   Yesterday I was able to write a Wikipedia page which will give you some information - and which also has links to other places with additional Acquroff ancestor information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Acquroff

Offline mfb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 12:04 GMT (UK) »
hi there,loking for more info on this lady,she was a blind pianist from Edinburgh who has a small fountain dedicated to her in the meadows in Edinburgh.she was also a stalwart in the temperance movement and went under the name of"sister cathedral" any more info on this remarkable
lady would be greatly appreciated

I have done some research on Helen and the information (originally put together for a Wikipedia page) is in the Friends of The Meadows and Bruntsfield Links Newslettre (http://www.fombl.org.uk/Newsletters/nl42.pdf).

In 2017 they refurbished her memorial in The Meadows, Edinburgh, and placed an information board on the railing. 

There is an entry on Helen in the newly published The New Biographical Dictionary of Scottish Women (edited by Elizabeth Ewan et al.)

Her memorial and short biography also appear in the Mapping Memorials to women site which is run by the Glasgow Women's Library (http://womenofscotland.org.uk/women/helen-acquroff)

One of her poems When We Were Bairns Thegither was recited at the The Scottish Storytelling Centre during the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2017.