Author Topic: Pitt 1841 census Maidstone  (Read 8594 times)

Offline The Scrubber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pitt 1841 census Maidstone
« on: Sunday 09 October 05 14:04 BST (UK) »
Please can anyone look up a Pitt family living in Maidstone  all l know is
father William pitt, Printer/compositor
Mother unknown
and a Charles Sydney Pitt born around 1833 in maidstone.
there may be others in the family, I have looked in the maidstone 1851 census and cant find Charles there then and by 1857 he had married and was living in central London.
Thank you
Tony   
Broadhurst, Covell,   Benefer, Burkin, Burrows, Burton, Butters, Cooper, Cross, Dack, Dunham, Dobinson, Goward, Henley, Hills, Isbill, Leeds, Mclean, Meachen, Morgan, Osborn, Page, Pitt, Smalls, Sutton, Walford, Westlake, Wright, Wyatt

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pitt 1841 census Maidstone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 October 05 14:20 BST (UK) »
from 1851 census
Charles Sydney PITT working as a clerk, 17, born Maidstone, living at 7 Buckingham Place, St George, Hanover Square
with his parents Roger 48, a printer born Tiverton and Jane 50, born Tavistock.  There is a servant Maria SMITH 13 and a lodger Henry HARDING 30
HO107/1478 folio 349 page 17
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 October 05 14:24 BST (UK) »
Roger PITT was a printer living in Union Street, Maidstone 1827 - 1835

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline The Scrubber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 October 05 15:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bearkat
This could be very interesting my Charles was a Clerk all his life, the age is correct and the birth place also correct the fathers name doesn't match the marriage certs but he may have changed the name around or living with a uncle for some reason. This is my direct family but it is very tight lipped and seems to have as a distant cousin said skeletons in the cupboard.
Thanks again Bearkat your so kind
Tony
Broadhurst, Covell,   Benefer, Burkin, Burrows, Burton, Butters, Cooper, Cross, Dack, Dunham, Dobinson, Goward, Henley, Hills, Isbill, Leeds, Mclean, Meachen, Morgan, Osborn, Page, Pitt, Smalls, Sutton, Walford, Westlake, Wright, Wyatt

Offline troods

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my greatgrandma Dorcas Charlotte Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hello The Scrubber and hi Bearkat

Sorry to butt in here but I have amongst my ancestors a Richard Pitt, son of a Richard Pitt and Jane Tanner both born in Tiverton,Devon around 1765.
However my Richard Pitt (jnr) was sent out to Oz as a convict and was trialled at Maistone in 1811.
This particular man is another one of my lot that is proving to be very elusive indeed.
You never know though there might be a connection.

Regards
Troods
Williams- Devon to Vic Oz;
Holmes - Donnegal to Vic Oz; Hall Westmoreland/Kent to Vic Oz;
Shipwash - Kent;
Edwards - Lambeth;
Nolan - Ireland;
Grady - Kerry to WA Oz;
Matson - Nova Scotia to SA Oz

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Troods and The Scrubber
   Worth following up.  There can't be many people that made the journey from Tiverton to Maidstone.  You can understand  that people moved to the nearest large town or London looking for work although Maidstone had a thriving paper industry.
bearkat
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline The Scrubber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Bearkat and Troods
This is really getting intriguing, I have found my Charles Sidney in the 1861 census living just round the corner to Roger and Jane Pitt, there are no other Charles Sidney's in the 1861 or 1871 censuses , there are no deaths of a Charles S between 1851 and 1861 so it looking very much like Charles and Roger are related if not father and son.
I have sent of for the death certs of Roger and Jane to see if that can give any clues and also we are going to Maidstone this Friday and Saturday to have a look at the 1841 census and look for Charles's birth.
I will let you know how we get on.
Again thank you so much for the info
Take care
Tony :D

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 June 07 12:36 BST (UK) »
I know I am a couple of years late to this conversation, but I am descended from William Henry Pitt, son of Roger and Jane Pitt of Tiverton and Tavistock.

My ancestor William was born at Maidstone, within four years of Charles Sidney Pitt.  I have Charles, Roger and Jane together for the 1851 census, but Roger and Jane on their own for 1861. 

If you have any more information about the Devon ancestors, I'd be interested to know it!
thanks
Fee
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th

Offline Caliandris

• RootsChat Extra
  • My great grandmother, Lottie Dickins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 June 07 12:37 BST (UK) »
Incidentally I have the family all together in Windsor in 1841, at Clewer fields, although I still have that as a possible only.
Fee
Spivey, Hughes, Jones Carmarthen 19th c
Spivey, Armitage in Almondbury, Yorkshire 18th c
Dickins Staffordshire and Birmingham 18th and 19th c
Aldridge, Robey, Jearrad in London 18th and 19th
Pitt and Westlake Devon 17th and 18th c
Earwaker London and Hampshire 18th and 19th
Fitzpatrick in The Rower, Kilkenny, Ireland
Clarke, Hewitt, Starkey, Green in Cheshire 19th and 20th