Author Topic: Army Colonel  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
Army Colonel
« on: Monday 10 October 05 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to trace the military history of HORACE JOHN JAMES KENTISH.

The problem is I have no idea what regiment he was in or where he was deployed to.

He died as a Colonel in London, 1907.  I can't find him in any of the census returns so I presume he was out of country at those times.

Any ideas??
Thanks Anna
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Army Colonel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 October 05 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna, do you know when he was born to give an idea of when he might have been in the army?

Margaret
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 October 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna, I think this might be him in 1878?

From the London Gazette Tuesday September 17th 1878

"The undermentioned Sub-Lieuts. to be Lieuts.:-
........... 39th Foot - Horace John James Kentish........"

margaret
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 October 05 21:21 BST (UK) »
he was born in1856,his parents were,james+susan kentish,he was christened 30-4-1856.sorry thats all i know,regards mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 05 21:24 BST (UK) »
I think this might be him again and maybe fit the 'out of the country theory' !

The Times, Thursday November 20, 1879

"The Indian troopship Malabar, Captain Grant, which left Bombay on the 29th October, is expected to arrive at Portsmouth on the 29th instance. She has on board .........., Lieut. Kentish, 39th Foot;..."

hope this helps

Margaret
Surname Interests

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 October 05 22:56 BST (UK) »
Had to look a bit more and found the following:

Times, Feb 7th 1885 "The Dorsetshire Regiment - Honorary Queens Cadet Arthur Grant from the Royal Military College, to be Lieutenant, vice H.J.J. Kentish"

London Gazette, Jan 20th 1891 "The Dorsetshire Regiment. The Undermentioned Lieutentants to be Captains: .....H.J.J. Kentish;.."

Times, Nov 24th 1897 "Maj. H.J.J. Kentish, Dorsetshire Regt. has been slected for appointment as second in command of the 2nd Batt, vice Maj. C.H. Law."

Times, Sept 7th 1898 "The Doresetshire Reg. - Lieut-Col J.M. piercy, on completion of his period of service in command of a Battalion, is placed on half pay, Maj. H.J.J. Kentish to be Lieut-Colonel, vice J.M. Piercy."

Times, Jun 20th 1899 "A committee has ben sitting at the hill station of the Punjab command with the object of effecting some simplification in the office correspondance attaching to the command. The following officers form this committee: .......Lieut. Cols. R.G.W. Hepburne, RA; H.J.J. Kentish, 1st Batt. Dorsetshire Reg; ...."

London Gazette, 9th Sept 1902 " The Dorset Reg. - Lieut. Col. H.J.J. Kentish, on completion of his period of service in command of a Battalion, is placed on half pay; ..."

London Gazette, 16th Sept 1902 " The undermentioned Liet-Colonels, half pay, to be Colonels:...H.J.J. Kentish..."

London Gazette, 16th Jan 1903 "REGIMENTAL DISTRICTS Brevet Colonel H.J.J. Kentish from half pay to be Colonel to command the 38th [the South Staffordshire Reg] and 64th [the prince of Wales North Staffordshire] Regimantal Districts."

Not sure how this fits or if same family?
Times Nov 26th 1924 " A marriage has been arranged, and will take place, between J.W. Hornsby and Ethel Agatha Kentish, widow of Brigadier General H.J.J. Kentish."
Surname Interests

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 06:57 BST (UK) »
thats the dorset regiment,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Ann12

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - third from the left
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret and Mack,

Many thanks for the info, I was really stuck on finding info on him.  Now at least I know the regiment and an idea where he was stationed.

Where did you find the Times information?  Is it possible to subscribe online? or this a personal database?

Thanks again for your help

Anna :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />names: <br />Josolyne - Essex & Herts, <br />Wainwright - Hamps & London, <br />Kentish - Rotherhithe, London & Kent, <br />Herbert - Seaford, Sussex - London & Glous
Mumford - Essex, Birchanger
Sims-Miles - London & Hertfordshire
Cooper - Great Witley and London (Holborn)
Greengrass - Kent & London

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna, you might want to read the information posted at the folowing link by Smeghead on the 4th September 2005 in 2The Common Room - Useful Links"
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,86255.0.html

It seems to be working and I hope it helps!

best wishes

Margaret
Surname Interests