Author Topic: 1850s and early 1860s emigration to Canada  (Read 8474 times)

Offline lbj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1850s and early 1860s emigration to Canada
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 October 05 17:28 BST (UK) »
You're Awesome!  Those are the right people.  I haven't been able to find death records at all for them, or marriage dates/records.  Thank you so much. 

Did you find those in the SSDI?  What search engine are you using?

I've been searching with Ancestry.com mostly.  I've also been trying to find a death record for my GG-grandfather William Copeland, b. ~1840 who married Julia Stephens, James' and Harriet's daughter.  He supposedly died while digging a well between 1876-1880.  Their home was Dickinson Cty., Kansas.  That is off the topic of Canada (though he also was an immigrant from Ireland to Canada).  If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate the research hints.
LAWRENCE-Hampshire, England; Kansas, USA
HAINES-Wiltshire, England
STEPHENS-Bristol, England;Ontario, Canada; Illinois, USA
COPELAND-County Down, Ireland; Ontario, Canada; Kansas, USA
BOBIK-Slovakia; Pennsylvania & Ohio, USA
PARNAHAY (PARNAHAJ)-Slovakia; Pennsylvania, USA

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 October 05 19:37 BST (UK) »
Did you find those in the SSDI?  What search engine are you using?

I love Ancestry.com too - and it's great, I use it all the time -- but there are lots of other databases online and available for searching. :)

For this search, I almost didn't tell you about it as I thought you'd probably already uncovered it and might be insulted I was suggesting it! That's the problem with trying to help, you're never sure exactly where the person has looked and what they've found -- and some folks get testy if you suggest something they already know about.

Illinois is one of those places that has some great databases online. I used the Illinois State Archives at http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases.html  I know it sounds off topic for Canada immigration but since your guys went to Canada first then on to IL and Kansas, you need to get the USA records to find out what they say about their Canadian settlement or migration. Hopefully the moderator of this forum is okay with this.

I'll have to check my lists for Kansas, see what is available for online databases. If I can find any I will PM you here on Rootschat. Don't overlook the other URLs I've been giving you, they are all really good for finding ancestors

Glad what I've managed to find is proving useful!
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 October 05 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi lbj,

Civil registration by the provincial government in Ontario started in 1869, so your Alfred Stephens is right in the transition period.  His marriage will be in the pre-1869 records, which were organized by registration district and transcribed by County Clerks.

The birth of the first child, Mabel, could be either pre-1869 or maybe in 1869, considering she is 12 in the 1881 census.  The births of the other two children are clearly in the post-1869 period. 

All of these records are held at the Archives of Ontario and you can order the microfilm through inter-library loan to view it at your local library or LDS Family History Center.  (The LDS has their own numbering system for the films, different than the Archives, but they have easy number conversion charts if it through them that you are ordering the films.)

The records that are clearly pre-1869, those in the transition years, and those clearly post-1869 are organized in slightly different ways, but it usually involves ordering the Index microfilm, using that to find the reference number for the person you are looking for, then ordering another reel that has the actual record on it.  (And that will be the original hand-written record in most cases, not a transcription).  Of course, the birth and marriage indexes are not on the same reel, so you will end up ordering many reels to find all of the records you want :)

The best way to find out what reels you need is to use the "Pathfinders" on the Ontario Archives web-site (one each for birth, marriage, death)http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/interloan/vsmain.htm#intro

Alternatively, of course, you can keep checking this volunteer transcription site http://www.rootsweb.com/~onvsr/ and wait until they post your family!   ;D  This is Ontario's equivalent to freeBMD - it is by volunteer submission, so it is not complete.  I could not find any of your Stephens on it yet. 

For your reference, the City of Ottawa is in Carleton County, as previously mentioned.  And pre-1869 it is conveniently called the Ottawa District. 

Sorry for the long-winded response!  Happy hunting...

Martha
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline lbj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 October 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
MJP-Thank you very much for all that helpful information.  I'll follow up on it.  Sounds like I'll be looking through a few rolls of film, but at least I can narrow the area down a bit. 

Alternatively, of course, you can keep checking this volunteer transcription site http://www.rootsweb.com/~onvsr/ and wait until they post your family!     This is Ontario's equivalent to freeBMD - it is by volunteer submission, so it is not complete.  I could not find any of your Stephens on it yet.  I had not heard of that site before.  Thanks for the tip.  Have a great day.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I was out at the library tonight looking up bmd's indexes in Ontario and quickly looked up births for Stephens (they were flashing the lights to get out) and I'm not sure if this one is yours but I found:

Edward Malloch Stephens, Carleton August 18, 1869 Reg. #00151569
Stephens, (no name), Ottawa October 16, 1870, Reg. #22197671

My library does not have the microfilm for the registration.  I will be going to the Ontario Archives in Toronto within the next week or two so if no one else looks them up, I can have a peek for you.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline lbj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 21:42 BST (UK) »
To: Karen M.   :) Thank you for taking your time to check on the Stephens line for me.  I kind of doubt the Edward Malloch Stephens b. 1869 is the correct one in my line.  BUT...I'm not positive.  I think the family of Alfred and Mary Stephens that show up in the 1881 Census of Canada are the right family.  That Edward would have been born in ~1871.  No middle name is shown.  I want to order the film FHL #1375865 or NA film #C-13229, Dist. 105, sub-district A, Division 2, Pg 143, Household #678 and check it out. 

I'd like to know where the family was in 1861 and when they actually emigrated from England.  I'll be going to the LDS FHC in Salt Lake at the end of the month and am planning on checking out films for English parish records as well as any Canadian records that might be relevant.  It sounds though from the previous post that I might have to order the Canadian films in advance from the FHC library.  Thank you for your time and efforts in my family's behalf.  Have a wonderful day.