Author Topic: 1841 Census Lookup Please For Jane Rossiter COMPLETED WITH THANKS  (Read 4578 times)

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "The truth is out there",Special Agent Fox Mulder
    • View Profile
1841 Census Lookup Please For Jane Rossiter COMPLETED WITH THANKS
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for information about the parents and siblings of Jane Rossiter born 1826 in the Clutton area of Somerset, England. In December 1850 she married James Fussell (born 1823 son of George Fussell, a thatcher from Dunkerton, Somerset) in Clutton.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.TIA.

Best wishes

rcuser
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census Lookup Please For Jane Rossiter
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi R

Some possibilities in Somerset 1841
ROSITER  JANE  F  15  SOMERSET  MIDDLEZOY    MIDDLEZOY  SOMERSET 
ROSSITER  JANE  F  19  SOMERSET  SILK FACTORY    EVERCREECH  SOMERSET     
ROSSITER  JANE  F  8  SOMERSET  PRIOR'S HILL    EVERCREECH  SOMERSET     
ROSSITER  JANE  F  15  SOMERSET     RADSTOCK  SOMERSET 
ROSSITER  JANE  F  15  SOMERSET  PURITON    PURITON  SOMERSET 
ROSSITER  JANE  F  15  SOMERSET  GL??? LODGE    LULLINGTON  SOMERS
ROSSITER  JANE  F  14  SOMERSET  WEST END    BRUTON  SOMERSET 

Do you have any more clues about her ??
Cal
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Cal,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The only information I have is what I've posted. I'm still hunting around for more as this is a query I've just started on.

At present the only source of new information might be the wedding in 1850 which would appear in the 1851 Census giving Jane's father which could be matched to the list you already have.

Another thought is that James Fussell was born in 1823 possibly at Dunkerton. Are any of the Janes listed living close to Dunkerton or can James Fussell be found in any of the areas you've listed please?

A further thought is that Jane may be already in my 9000+ database of Rossiters but in her unmarried state. I'd need her parents' names to check that out.

Sorry to be so vague. We're working with a minimum of information here.

Hope this helps.

rcuser

Researching Rossiter, Finn, Wright, Vaughan, Bloor, Acton, Clay, Moorhouse, Foxall, Hart, Knott and many other families

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Cal,

By way of a followup I've found out that they were both born in Timsbury, Somerset.

They had 5 children but I've only discovered 4.  Ann born 1852 married George Tucker in Clutton in 1874. Ellen born 1894 married Frederick Kittlety.

The other two children I have found were Joseph born 1863 and William born 1865. Both born in Timsbury.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

rcuser

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 October 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi rcuser
From the info you gave me I have been rooting again in 1841

Found the Fussell Family and what a big one it was.
Splot (fab name) Dunkerton HO107/961/5 p21
George 40 Thatcher
Elizabeth 40
Benjamin 20
James 15
Elizabeth 14
Mary Ann 11
William 10
Sarah 9
John 7
Thomas 5
Joseph 15 months

The only Rossiters in Dunkerton in 1841are
Caroline 20, Job 25 and Matilda 2

The Rossiters in Timsbury are
Benjamin 30 in Radford, Timsbury
& Henry 25 Timsbury

I had a look on the map and Clutton, Timsbury, Dunkerton are just south of Bath and just south of these is Radstock. So I looked up the Jane Rositer in Radstock and she is a servant (down as male servant??) living with
Thomas James 33 Miller, Ann James 32 and Susann Miller 7

So that doesn't help you with Jane's parents

Lulligton is a bit further south again (but feasible) and that Jane is with
George Rossiter 55 Ag Lab
Mary 50
Jane 14

So what do you think??

Cal
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 October 05 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Cal,

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to find all that.

Must admit to being somewhat confused. Both James and Jane were born in Timsbury and yet it's not possible to find their parents there.

I have checked out the other couples that you have mentioned but Timsbury is not a well documented area and I can't get any further information about them.

Strange really as James Fussell and Jane are recorded as living at Tan Yard, Timsbury in the 1881 Census.

I did think that given their ages Benjamin & Henry might be Jane's brothers and that their parents may have died prior to 1841.

Do you know anywhere on the internet that can supply parish record access as baptism records would show who her parents were?

Best wishes

rcuser

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 October 05 22:55 BST (UK) »
HI

You could try
www.somerset.gov.uk

There maybe links on the site bt they will do searches for you but at a price!!!!

That is definately James Fussells parents but it is strange that we can't find Janes

There is a Jane Rossiter aged 50 living with William Rossiter  25 and Phobe Rossiter 20 in KILMERSDON COMMON  LUCKINGTON  Somerset it is possible that this is Janes jnrs Mum living with her brother and wife. Perhaps her father had died and the family split up, so you could be right about Benjaminand Henry !!

Cal

Offline bathtonyuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 December 11 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Friend,

I am reseraching my family tree and i see that you are/were looking for information on jane rossiter? Her husband James Fussell is a direct descendent of mine.

If i can be of any help to you then please drop me a line and i will see what i can do to help.

Regards

Tony Fussell

Offline rcuser

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 December 11 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi bathtonyuk/Tony,
Thanks for the kind offer, however the thread started in 2005 and since then I have managed to get the information I was looking for.
Best wishes, rcuser