Author Topic: BEER, SHARP, Dover  (Read 13448 times)

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
BEER, SHARP, Dover
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 14:15 BST (UK) »
I am interested in any BEER families in the Dover area of East Kent.  I have traced my own family back to around 1600 and am trying to link other local families to my tree.

I am also researching the SHARP family of Dover/Deal, originating from the Waltham area (not the Wickhambreux line).

For full details of all the families I am researching (list in footer) please look at my website: www.beer-genealogy.freeuk.com

I am always happy to do lookups for people with family in the Dover/Deal area.

Regards
Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline janeinspain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BEER, SHARP, Dover
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 09 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Bill, I have a Richard Beer born c1801 died 1885 married to a Rachel (surname unknown). Their children were Edward,  Mary , William,  Jane,  Richard,  John,  Elizabeth,  Thomas, Maria, Frederick and Joseph. Thomas was my great-great grandfather. According to the census Richard was born in the River area, Rachel in Alkham and the children were born in the Hougham and Charlton area. Richard's parents may have been William Beer and Hannah Rouse. Is there a connection between us? Many thanks
Beer, Waller - Kent: Bracher - Middlesex: Stroud - Buckinghamshire & Middlesex: Bromham - Kent, Sussex & London

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 09 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
Welcome to Rootschat and thanks for finding me!
I think you are correct in assuming that Richard was the son of William & Hannah - I have done quite a bit of puzzling over the various Richards in the BEER family and come to the same conclusion.  I can also confirm the first 8 names of their children, but I don't have Maria, Frederick or Joseph (I would be pleased to have details if you have them, as I only have approximate birth dates from the census).
William and Hannah are our common ancestors, so we are distant cousins, but I need to check the number of generations on each side to find the exact relationship.
Best wishes
Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 09 14:47 BST (UK) »
I just checked - we are 5th cousins - 6 generations from the common ancestors.

"Cousin" Bill

Offline janeinspain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 09 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi cos! good to hear from you. I recently found the birth entries for Maria, Frederick and Joseph on Free BMD and also Joseph's death in 1866, he only appeared on the 1861 census. Do you have any idea of Rachel's surname? My tree is on Genes Reunited if you are a member.

Are you still in the Dover area I was born and brought up in sunny Herne Bay but now live in Spain, however my three daughters and three grandsons are still in the area.

Regards Jane
Beer, Waller - Kent: Bracher - Middlesex: Stroud - Buckinghamshire & Middlesex: Bromham - Kent, Sussex & London

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 09 15:06 BST (UK) »
Yes - I still live in Dover.  I am curious about those FreeBMD entries - I suspect they may belong to a different Richard.  There were at least 2 Richards having children in the same part of Dover around the same period.
I don't use Genes Reunited, as I found too many name collectors on there who were happy to grab other people's trees and add them to their own, without regard to living relatives!
Unfortunately I have not yet found Richard & Rachel's marriage, so I can't tell you her maiden name or the names of her parents.

Bill

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 09 15:11 BST (UK) »
By the way - the lovely lady in my picture is our mutual 7th cousin!

Offline janeinspain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 09 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bill, I have the 1861 census here. Richard and Rachel living at 3 Victoria Alley Charlton. They were also living at this address on the 1851 and 1871 census. With them on the 1861 were John, Elizabeth, Thomas, Maria, Frederick and Joseph. Through the ages I was able to connect them to the entries on Free BMD

Regards Jane

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 August 09 15:59 BST (UK) »
According to a fellow researcher Richard BEER married Rachel SMITH http://www.fadedgenes.co.uk/FrederickAMOS.html and there would be a Rachel SMITH baptised in Alkham about the right time http://www.familysearch.org

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk