Author Topic: BEER, SHARP, Dover  (Read 13457 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BEER, SHARP, Dover
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:52 BST (UK) »
Bill, there should be a film number which you can look up in the LDS library catalogue online and it will tell you the source ........... parish register/BTs etc..

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Yup!  It is from the film copy of the BTs at Canterbury.   :)

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Bill1948

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 November 12 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Bill -
I believe I have a Henry SHARP that hales from Hougham, Kent, UK.  Henry was caught up in the New Poor Law Union of 1834 and left England in 1842 for Canada.  The ships passenger list had he and Ann listed as from Lydd Parish.  I am related to his older brother John Sharp from Chart Sutton, Kent, UK who left on the same voyage in 1842. 

http://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/canada/PLU-PrinceGeorge1842.shtml

What can you tell me about them, if any thing?  What of the Sharp's there today.
Regard William

Offline jinniw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill: I am researching the Sharpe family in Waltham. I think I just might be descended from Thomas, born 1793 to Stephen and Elizabeth Sharpe. Our Thomas is a brewer living in Southwark 1841/51 census. !851 census gives his birthplace as Waltham in Essex. But I think this could be a mistake and should have read Kent. His wife, Anne Elizabeth Hughes was born in Bethersden, he was married in Canterbury, his first two sons were born in Ramsgate ( John 1821 and Thomas 1823, my 4x grandfather ), and his second two in Canterbury ( William and George ). His youngest son Daniel was born in Southwark. His son Thomas and his grandson Thomas both also worked as brewers. Could this have been an occupation learnt from the Sharpe family? Given these Kentish connections the Essex birth seems unlikely. Perhaps that is why the Thomas born in Waltham 1793 disappears off the register?
We are currently trying to trace the origins of the Waltham Sharpes but are having trouble as many of the baptism records are not online and we live in Western Australia. Are we correct in thinking that the couple Tom and Mary on the Waltham register came from a different town? Was the John who died in 1744 perhaps the grandfather of Stephen ( 1761 ) ? Could they be related to the Westwell Sharpes, as they share the same first names? Oh to see the Westwell birth register!!
And do you know anything about Stephen Sharpes residence on Anvil Green in Waltham? ( looks like handeville green on the census and commonly misread as hundred green. ) 

I'd be very interested to hear what you think!!
cheers, Jinni Wilson

Offline Bill1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 August 13 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill: I am researching the Sharpe family in Waltham. I think I just might be descended from Thomas, born 1793 to Stephen and Elizabeth Sharpe. Our Thomas is a brewer living in Southwark 1841/51 census. !851 census gives his birthplace as Waltham in Essex. But I think this could be a mistake and should have read Kent. His wife, Anne Elizabeth Hughes was born in Bethersden, he was married in Canterbury, his first two sons were born in Ramsgate ( John 1821 and Thomas 1823, my 4x grandfather ), and his second two in Canterbury ( William and George ). His youngest son Daniel was born in Southwark. His son Thomas and his grandson Thomas both also worked as brewers. Could this have been an occupation learnt from the Sharpe family? Given these Kentish connections the Essex birth seems unlikely. Perhaps that is why the Thomas born in Waltham 1793 disappears off the register?
We are currently trying to trace the origins of the Waltham Sharpes but are having trouble as many of the baptism records are not online and we live in Western Australia. Are we correct in thinking that the couple Tom and Mary on the Waltham register came from a different town? Was the John who died in 1744 perhaps the grandfather of Stephen ( 1761 ) ? Could they be related to the Westwell Sharpes, as they share the same first names? Oh to see the Westwell birth register!!
And do you know anything about Stephen Sharpes residence on Anvil Green in Waltham? ( looks like handeville green on the census and commonly misread as hundred green. ) 

cheers, Jinni Wilson
Jinni Wilson (Sharpe family in Waltham)

SHARP things (I have a lot to learn)...
I am at a loss on my progenators in England, My 2x grandfather came from the Kent, Maidstone area.
I know, the grandfather, John SHARP was an Agricultural Laborer (Illiterate) and I know nothing of his parents.
It is said he had an older brother Richard SHARP.
John Married Elizabeth CLARKE 6 Oct 1833 in Saint Bartholmew Church, Bobbing, Kent.
Interesting note found on Google Earth "SHARP’s HOUSE" Hearts Delight Road, Borden, England (close to Bobbing).  Copy and paste this link into your browser...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0vxj/

Go to Stree View in Google Maps and you can see the house named "Sharp house"
Again this house is about a mile from Bobbing, Kent, just Southeast of Borden and is of importance because of it's medival architecture.  Have not found out why the name "Sharp house"

John and Eliza Last lived in England in Spring of 1842 in Sutton Valance, Kent, England before immigration to Montreal.

Lived in "Heaven Cottage"...
Sharp at Sutton Valence for Edward Sharp son of John and Elizabeth Sharp
1841 English Census:
HO107/457 /3/6 p 5;

That area of Kent is know for Oast house (a kiln used for drying hops.) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#fp=6da2069b7a32db09&q=oast
Which are involved in brewing of Beers.  So Waltham, Kent may be more appropriate for Thomas.
There is the "Sharp's Brewery", Rock, Cornwall PL27 6NU (http://www.sharpsbrewery.co.uk/contact/)

Beverly Knoll a sharp (bknoll6325@aol.com) a cousin of sorts in Washington state indicated a Samuel Sharp returned to England in the mid 1800's and worked in a brewery in Wateringbury, Kent and died and is buried there.

Regards William(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 December 14 15:19 GMT (UK) »

cheers, Jinni Wilson

Hi Jinni

I have never found out what happened to Thomas (bapt Waltham, 20 Jan 1793, s/o Stephen & Elizabeth) so you may be correct in assuming he is the one living in Southwark in 1841/51.

I don't have the marriage for Stephen & Elizabeth, so I don't know what her maiden name was.  They had a total of 11 children (as far as I can determine from the Waltham parish records) between 1791 and 1812, so I would assume they were married around 1790.

Stephen was the son of Thomas SHARP & Mary (again, marriage not yet found) and one of 8 children that I know of, baptised in Waltham between 1751 and 1768.  Thomas was born c.1721 and died in Waltham on 30 August 1797; Mary was born c. 1724 and died in Waltham on 22 June 1780.

So far I have not been able to find a baptism for Thomas - I could not find any earlier SHARP records in the Waltham registers.  Unfortunately, the SHARP surname was not particularly uncommon in Kent, so finding him in another parish with any great certainty - since he never appeared in any census - will be problematical.  If I can find his marriage record it might help, but I haven't done much on this side of my family for several years.  Maybe time to start looking with fresh eyes!

Hope this is some help.

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 December 14 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Bill -
I believe I have a Henry SHARP that hales from Hougham, Kent, UK.  Henry was caught up in the New Poor Law Union of 1834 and left England in 1842 for Canada.  The ships passenger list had he and Ann listed as from Lydd Parish.  I am related to his older brother John Sharp from Chart Sutton, Kent, UK who left on the same voyage in 1842. 

What can you tell me about them, if any thing?  What of the Sharp's there today.
Regard William

Hi William

The SHARP name is not uncommon in East Kent and I have not found a connection with any SHARPs from Hougham family in that period, so would not have researched them, other than to eliminate them from my family tree.

In the mid-1800s there were two SHARPs with businesses next door to each other in Dover, but they were, as far as we can tell (one was my ancestor and I have compared notes with the current owner of the other business), entirely unrelated.

What makes you think your Henry is from Hougham?  You say that he was shown on the passenger manifest as being from Lydd, which is 20 miles south-west of Hougham, and his brother from Chart Sutton, some 30 miles north of Lydd and 35 miles north-west of Hougham.

I am at a loss on my progenators in England, My 2x grandfather came from the Kent, Maidstone area.
I know, the grandfather, John SHARP was an Agricultural Laborer (Illiterate) and I know nothing of his parents.
John Married Elizabeth CLARKE 6 Oct 1833 in Saint Bartholmew Church, Bobbing, Kent.
Interesting note found on Google Earth "SHARP’s HOUSE" Hearts Delight Road, Borden, England (close to Bobbing).  Copy and paste this link into your browser...

I have no idea about Sharp's Cottage in Borden and have no information about SHARP families in and around Bobbing.

Best wishes
Bill

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 December 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Could they be related to the Westwell Sharpes, as they share the same first names? Oh to see the Westwell birth register!!

I have looked at the Westwell parish register but I couldn't find any definite connection.

This is from Google Maps - Anvil Green is just north of the village.  The SHARP family were farming the area in the 1700s.

Offline Bill1948

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 December 14 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Bill -

Regard William

Hi William

The SHARP name is not uncommon in East Kent and I have not found a connection with any SHARPs from Hougham family in that period, so would not have researched them, other than to eliminate them from my family tree.

In the mid-1800s there were two SHARPs with businesses next door to each other in Dover, but they were, as far as we can tell (one was my ancestor and I have compared notes with the current owner of the other business), entirely unrelated.

What makes you think your Henry is from Hougham?  You say that he was shown on the passenger manifest as being from Lydd, which is 20 miles south-west of Hougham, and his brother from Chart Sutton, some 30 miles north of Lydd and 35 miles north-west of Hougham.

Reply 1 Dec 2014 - Henry SHARP pauper on Prince George manifest
First, thank you for your time and reply here.  I've a lot to learn on the lay of the land in the UK.  Yes Lydd parish is, as you say, just Southwest down on the Channel (Romney Marsh).  I looked for Henry (and Ann) in the Lydd parish 1841 census and only found a reference to Ann (only SHARP in household) at age 14 years.  Henry must of been new to Lydd parish (after census) or miss represented.  His relationship to John SHARP (my great great grandfather) is purely speculative on my part...in that families would greatly benefit if they could travel together.

I was in Maidstone, UK in April 2014 looking into Kent archives.  Found some references to a notorious SHARP.   Sir Edward SHARP of SHARP and Son's LTD.

Sharp baronets
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharp_baronets
http://www.thepeerage.com/p57495.htm

The Sharp Baronetcy, of Warden Court in Maidstone in the County of Kent, was created in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom on 23 June 1922 for Edward Sharp. He was the founder and Chairman of Edward Sharp & Sons, manufacturing confectioners, of Maidstone.
Sharp baronets, of Warden Court (1922)

Sir Edward Sharp, 1st Baronet (1854-1931)

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1922BIF-Sharp1.jpg

Regards
William

I have no idea about Sharp's Cottage in Borden and have no information about SHARP families in and around Bobbing.

Best wishes
Bill