Author Topic: MELLANBY, ALL  (Read 4096 times)

Offline john franks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MELLANBY, ALL
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 14:36 BST (UK) »
Mellanby is of my main names for study. It originates in North Yorkshire or Cumberland and for around 300 years is concentrated in the Teesside area.

Anyone else interested?

John
Mellanby One-name Study. Also family history of Walker, Braithwaite, Barrett, Weidner, Howard.

Offline Sheridan474

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MELLANBY, ALL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 07 16:41 BST (UK) »
To all Mellanby / Mellonby / Melomby researchers:

I recently received three pages (copies) from an old Mellanby Family Bible. In it they spell their name 'Melomby' but in all the Census records it's written Mellanby or Mellonby or even Mellamby.

Some of the names mentioned in the Bible are; Mary, Isabella, Thomas, Louisa, etc.

Anyway, I am related to them via my great-grandmother, Ada Winter - her mother was Frances Mellanby born 1853 in Durham (not sure where in Durham - probably Stockton.) I'm also in touch with a chap who is related to the same branch.

If anyone feels this would be at all helpful to their research, I'll happily share my copies of the Family Bible. If there is a connection, I'd appreciate any info you could give me because I only have my Mellanby line back to 1827, with the birth of Ralph (father of Frances).

Kind regards,
Sheridan
Whitehead - Eston & Long Newton, Yorkshire and Stockton, Durham
Harling - Eston & Long Newton, Yorks and Stockton, Durham
Newby - Long Newton, Yorks
Tutty - Howden, Yorks
Winter - Redcar, Yorks
Reeve -Long Buckby, Northants
Mellanby / Mellomby - Birtley, Yorks & Durham
Ward - Gateshead & Kirby Hill nr Richmond, Yorks
Frankland - Kirby Hill nr Richmond, Yorks
Bottrill - Shearsby, Leicestershire & Yorks
Elgy / Elgie - Stanhope, Durham & Leicestershire
Kirby - Scraptoft, Leicestershire

Offline ron77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MELLANBY, ALL - Help!
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 September 07 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, My grandmother's name was Anne Mellanby. She was born in Leeds, the oldest of six sisters and one brother. Her father was William Mellanby and mother was Francis (Fanny) Thompson, I believe. Her father and brother were wireworkers on Concord Street in Leeds (Mellanby and Son - I have an interesting old photo). I have done some family research (my father was born in Leeds) but wonder if she and her father had any direct relations to some of the other Mellanby's discussed. I can find a Robinson (a sister married one and they bought a pub in Leeds) and Thompson (1700's). Any further suggestions very welcome.

Ron

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 December 07 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,  I don't suppose you have the children of William Mellanby who married Rachel Wilkinson 19th Nov 1793 at St Thomas's, Stockton .  I think they're the parents of my John Mellanby that marrried Sarah Taylor 11th Aug 1822 at St Thomas's, Stockton. The first child I have for John & Sarah is 1826 which seems a long time after their marriage of 1822.

I thought if I could find the children of William and Rachel (apart from my John) I might have an idea who William's father was, as they sometimes name the children after their parents.

You kindly helped before with William's marriage.

I've been on IGI and did find Ann Mellanby born 1794 in Stockton, which is their daughter but that seems to be it. 

Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline john franks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 December 07 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean.

Sorry, I can't find any reference to William and Rachel's children. After their marriage all I have is Rachel Mellanby's death (I assume it is her) which is recorded at St Thomas's, Stockton on 27/11/1845 at the age of 77. I wonder if you get a copy of her death certificate it might give the name of one of her children as an "informant"?

Regards

John
Mellanby One-name Study. Also family history of Walker, Braithwaite, Barrett, Weidner, Howard.

Offline Darlingtonian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 December 07 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John, that's a thought ......... It will probably be Rachael or Ann......lol

I doesn't really matter .... I was just wondering if I have the right people as I can't find John's christening or birth as transcriptions only seem to go to 1780 but with a name like Rachel and a daughter called Rachael, I think I probably have.

Thanks for looking
Jean
Lidster, Mellanby, Milburn, Laidler, Peart, Thornton, Catterson, Ellwood, Ingleby, Ramage, Sedgewick, Collinson....... Co.Durham
Ingleby....Derbyshire
Ellwood, Rigg, Gibson, Park, Fothergill.....Westmorland

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 August 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered a Mellanby connection in my family. My G G G grandfather (mother's mother's mother's father) is in the 1881 census as James Mellenby, born 1821 in Sedgefield wife Isabella born 1823 in Stannington, Northumberland and living then in Newcastle. A rather perfunctory search in Find My Past has found no other census records with either the en or an spellings.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex