Author Topic: John Williams of Camaes 1849  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
John Williams of Camaes 1849
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 18:47 BST (UK) »
I know what I am asking is little short of a looking  for a needle in a haystack.

My ancestor is one of the millions of John Williams.  His marriage cert (liverpool) says his father was William Williams (surprise surprise) and that he was a painter (I have some doubts about that bit)

I have John on 1881 and 1891 census in Liverpool.  In 1881 he was 32 and says he was born in Anglesey Camaes.  1891 the same but aged 42.
he died before 1901 census.  I assume that he was born late 1848 or early 1849.

I have tried to find his death date and get a cert but even in Liverpool there were so many JWs, I'd have to buy a dozen certificates, none of the death dates correspond exactly to the DOB I expect.

I have also tried to find his birth on St Catherine's index but how do I identify mine amongst the dozens born those yrs in Anglesey. Also tried IGI and Amlwch data bases on the web.

I am pretty sure the Camaes will refer to Camaes Bay - Llanbadrig, Amlwch area as I stayed on a farm there many yrs ago and vaguely remember being told it belonged to "Granny's cousin"

If anyone has easy access to Parish records of the churches around Camaes, I'd be grateful if they could look for a John Williams son of William Williams born 1848-1849.

Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: John Williams of Camaes 1849
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 October 05 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Cedas,

I wouldn't place too much trust in the fathers details given on the marriage cert. All too often I have proven them completely wrong - my best example being: on the cert the father was given as Robert, a labourer, deceased. Turns out his fathers name was Humphrey and was a master carpenter and died 5 years after the marriage.

I would try and complete the census entries for John first, using William as a tentative guideline. You can place a request for 71 and 61 here on the board, and then you can always mail Llangefni RO for the 51 census. That has been indexed, so they will look that up for you free of charge.

If you then determine that his date and place of birth are consistent in all census ,and tie in with the MC, then you can write a nice letter to the registrar in Llangefni, who will then hopefully find the right cert. I have found that the local Registrars are most helpful and in general do go out of their way to send the right cert - usually sending me an email to confirm if there is any doubt.

Good luck

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 October 05 18:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your suggestions. I suspect John may have been in Liverpool, possibly as a single man, in 1871 ( I have found 2 possibilities on ancestry.co.uk) so I need to concentrate on 1861 Anglesey or earlier.  I can access 1861 on ancestry and am doing a "census survey" of possibilities (anyone who wants to see the extensive excel spread sheet on John and William Williams- just ask) I'll do a bit more on 1861 then see if anyone can access 1851 for me.

Part of the problem is that from Liverpool he may say Camaes but earlier in Anglesey, his father may have been more precise or less so - depending I suppose on the attitude and nationality  of the enumerator.

I am delighted to know that the 1851 look up would be free of charge (family history research should carry a govt health warning - bad for my health - I don't have time to go to the gym anymore - and bad for my pocket - the GRO in particular has made a fortune out of me )

Thanks again
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 05 21:45 BST (UK) »
Is anyone out there an expert on anglesey parishes in 1861.  Looking for John (as above) in 61 census who says he was born in Camaes on Liverpool 81 and 91 census. I have one possibility for Llanbadrig (I know Camaes was in that Parish so that looks good) another for what looks like Llandyfrydeg - any idea where this is?

if someone was born in Camaes 1848-50 and didn't move more than a few miles, which parish might they be in 1861?

Any advice appreciated