Author Topic: Anyone researching the surname WOODGATE?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Alison Smith (nee Hargreaves)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Reginald John DIDYMUS & Jessie Dorothy GARLAND
    • View Profile
Anyone researching the surname WOODGATE?
« on: Wednesday 12 October 05 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hello there

I wonder if anyone out there is researching the surname Woodgate in Gloucestershire, or has any family connections?

My 2 x Gt Grandfather, David Didymus, married Maria Woodgate on 2 Sep 1852 at Titchfield in Hampshire.  According to the M Cert, Maria was a spinster of "full age", a servant at "Sasburey" (which is the village of Sarisbury Green, Hants), and her father was William Woodgate, a labourer.

In 1861 the "Dedemas" family were in Sarisbury, Maria aged 39, born Gloucestershire (no town given).

In 1871 the "Didymus" family were still in Sarisbury, Maria now aged 47, born Cheltenham.

I am unable to find any trace whatsoever of the family in 1881.  :(

In 1891 the "Didymus" family were still in Sarisbury, Maria now aged 65, born Somersetshire!!!(??)

And finally, in 1901, we have the "Dedymus" family in Sarisbury, "Miria" aged 79, born Gloucestershire!!

Taking these dates into account, it seems that Maria Woodgate must have been born sometime between 1822 and 1826!!  :-\

Incidentally, David and Maria Didymus had 7 children:  William David Didymus (b 1855), Edward Didymus (b 1856), George Didymus (my Gt GF - b 1858), John Didymus (b 1859), Maryanne Maria Didymus (b 1860), Sarah Ann Didymus (b 1862) and Richard Didymus (b 1864).

If anyone has any pointers, I'd be really pleased to learn more about my 2 x Gt Grandmother and her family!  And I'd love to know how she came to be in Hampshire, if she originated in Gloucs.

Thanks....  Alison Hargreaves, Swindon
Didymus, Garland, Tubb, Sillence, Sharp - Hampshire
Hargreaves, Whittaker, Stanworth, Lord, Walton, Hayhurst, Hodson, Garside - Burnley, Lancs
Bown, Garland, Wake - Somerset
Crabb, Board - Dorset

Remember me in the family tree my name, my days, my strife; then I'll ride upon the wings of time and live an endless life - GOETSCH