Author Topic: WW1 Internment Camp at Knockaloe  (Read 96624 times)

Offline Trenchgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Internment Camp at Knockaloe
« Reply #90 on: Monday 20 February 12 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. I have just found this site. I live very close to the cemetary on Cannock Chase and if anyone would like a photo of any of the graves of their family members please let me know and i will gladly email one to you. Contact me direct at (*).

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 05:32 GMT (UK) »
In reply to Florida June,
Have you gotten the marriage certificates for the 2nd marriages for both parties?  It might be useful to see what they put down for marital status at the time of the second marriage.  Might be a clue.
That said, I certainly have run into cases, particularly in the late 19th and early 20th centures, where people did not bother with the niceties of divorce when they relocated.
I don't know if there was some sort of marital amnesty for the spouses of the interned.  There is always the possibility that they didn't know where each other were (or chose not to know), and had each other declared dead for legal purposes after a certain number of years had elapsed.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Trenchgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 19:08 GMT (UK) »
In reference to my last post i was unaware of the no email policy and having to make 3 posts before using the pm facility. I will still help if i can and have noted annfrances message. I hope to go up this week to look and will reply either way as soon as i know. It is a very large site so may take a couple of visits. I only joined lastnight and did not read everyhing fully so my apologies for getting it wrong.

Offline annfrances

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. There is no hurry only if you have time to visit and look but if it is too big it's OK. It is a big ask i suppose, much appreciated

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
.. It is a very large site so may take a couple of visits. ..
My interest is in those removed from Kirk Patrick church yard + Douglas Cems who died in the  camps as the reported numbers don't quite tally with noted burials - I'd be interested if they are all together in one area or possibly seperated by nationality  - if so whether easy to count graves - I havn't been to Cannock Chase myself.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Trenchgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 21 February 12 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Unsure of exact numbers but there are over 2500 graves there . It is arranged in rows and blocks so i can do a few sections at a time. I have only visited once as the site is seperated with the front part being German and New zealand burials and the rest of the site is set further into the woodland. If i can catch the warden i will ask if he can help finding names.

Offline valerieheath209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Friday 06 July 12 05:06 BST (UK) »
I have been researching family history for a friend whose Great Grandfather was an Alexander Peter Franz Koch, born about 1879, Hamburg, Germany.  The family bible records that he was taken and interned on the Isle of Man in 1919 and sent back to Germany in 1919.  He was never heard of again.  I have found him and his family in the 1911 Census where they lived in Derbyshire.

His English wife of 15 years and four children were left without a father.  I realise from reading the posts on this forum that it is unlikely any records will be found about him but it would be good to have his name added to any list of known internees on the Isle of Man.

Val

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 06 July 12 07:18 BST (UK) »
Val, At least in this case you do know where he originally came from, which is a huge plus.  Odds are that you will find him buried in Hamburg or close by, although at least one ship containing returning internees was sunk.  Certainly there ought to be parish records of his birth and probably other family members, which ultimately could lead you to more people and more clues and information. I have been amazed at how much the families still in Germany know about the ones who went to England a long time ago.  This is not the easiest route, as it requires use of German records, possibly hiring a German genealogist,  and probably a trip to Germany, but for someone who really wants to know what happened to him, there is some reasonable chance of success.  This is assuming that you cannot get anything from the International Red Cross, which should be the first place to look.
If what you want is to know more about his experience at the Isle of Man, you could ask the people that maintain the library and site there if they have any records of him.  Sometimes they do.
I will add him to my list, but am not actively doing anything with it at the moment.  He does not appear on any of my other lists so far.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline valerieheath209

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Friday 06 July 12 07:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very quick reply re my email about Alexander Peter Fritz Koch.  I will have to ascertain whether his great grandaughter wishes to pursue the challenge to find more about.  I thought it might involve exactly what you suggested.  So thank you again for your interest and input.
Val