Author Topic: WW1 Internment Camp at Knockaloe  (Read 96755 times)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Internment Camp at Knockaloe
« Reply #45 on: Monday 19 January 09 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Florida   June   Do   you   have   a   scanner   ?   Is   it  possible   to  post  your   photo   on   RootsChat  ???

Offline Florida June

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 19 January 09 22:09 GMT (UK) »
unfortunately...I live in 2 locations..
winter in Florida, summer in N.Carolina...
all my old photos are in NC...will need to wait till May or so.

so sorry....June

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 19 January 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Will   try   to   compare  the  photos  in   summer  for  you.   I  live   very  close  by  the   Manx   Museum  &
Library ---  MNH      Voirrey

Offline Rainbowlass

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 17 February 09 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I'm new here but have read this posting with interest. 

My grandfather was German, although the family  professed to be Swiss not German.  I knew they had done a 'moonlight flit' and tonight I think I have found out why.  I think they were uprooted from Liverpool probably in 1915 following the Lusitania riots.   

I found grandfather's name in the listings at the Ellis Island site in the US for September 1915, but his immigration entry had a thick black line through it and on asking I was told that this was because he never boarded the ship.  I have no idea if grandfather was interned, but suspect this might have been why he never made it to America.

Others here have talked about finding their relatives were arrested, so my question is where did you find that information and did it lead you to know that your relatives ended up in the IOM? 

You are right, it is an untold and forgotten story.  Grandfather was only about 16/17 when he came to the UK and became an upright citizen - a master baker by trade.  He did well for himself, married an English girl and had 6 children.  He and his family did not deserve to be persecuted for something which was not his fault.

Grandad survived the war and returned to his family, but died in 1923 of TB, followed by his wife only six weeks later, leaving the family to fend for themselves.  The youngest was born during at the end of April 1915, which would have been about the time of the Lusitania riots.  He would have only been about 8 when both his parents died.

Thanks for listening - hope someone might be able to fill me in with the 'arrests' question.

Offline sparklemerlin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Not that I recall, but will keep an eye out for him.
WW2 records are much easier to locate than WW1 records, however, so you should be able to find him eventually.  I do not know a lot about WW2 records, however.  Perhaps you should post it separately under WW2, or look for some links here for that.

Hi, this is my first posting. I  am keen to find out anything I can about my grandfather who was interned on The Isle of Man during WW1. He was a German with a young English family living in Eastbourne, Sussex. Named George Herman Jung, he managed to avoid being repatriated to Germany after the war though I believe he was much affected by the experience of internment. I should be grateful for advice on where to start looking for him.

Offline pilates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Loo Reply #3 gives all the answers. I checked with REd Cross and got the right spelling of Josef Pilates. contact them with name, date of birth or where interned. NAtional Archives you need a prisoner number as it is not listed
alphabetically and there are 30,000 names.

and, my dear research friends, is it interned or interred?
Siri Galliano

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 20 February 09 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for listening - hope someone might be able to fill me in with the 'arrests' question.

There is some description at http://www.manxnotebook.com/fulltext/sh1920/ch07.htm + the harsh life of the non-interned wives + children - it was not a pleasant period made much worse by the tabloids of the day
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline DJNeller

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 02 April 09 00:39 BST (UK) »
I have just joined RootsChat.Com tonight and would also be interested
to learn more about the internment of Otto Kneller during WW1.
I have been researching this Kneller family for some time as part of my
One Name Study and I am in contact with other descendants of Otto
who I know would be also interested in any more details you find.

Regards. David
NELLER, NELLAR, NELLOR, KNELLER all years in England, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, as well as those names in USA if they have have their roots in England.

Offline eise

• RootsChat Member
  • Jessie and Margaret Bird -my grandparents 1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi all on this page.

I am interested in this camp for anything about my husbands gr grandfather.  I have just come over to this page on a link and find it all fascinating stuff. However it seems to me that the ones you mhave found anything about were all deceased and my husbands rel returned His name was Joseph Richard Smith but also could have been known as Richard William Zeitz which we believe to be his true German name.  He was interned in both wars but in WW2 (we now have a copy of his tribunal card) which made him exempt from internment. Sadly though he still served abt 18 months getting finally released in Aug 1941;  We do not know where he was during this second war but he could have been at Knockaloe as the family recall letters from Isle of Mann.  WW1 was a different kettle of fish for him as he was arrested in Hull and then taken to Lofthouse park in Wakefield.   
we now know he was moved from there in Oct 1918 to Knockaloe but Manx museum have nothing on either of his names. 
Joseph was rleased during WW1 from Frith Hill Surrey sept 1919 we have this from Red cross in Geneva and he was registered under his chosen English name. Joseph Richard Smith;  I suppose we are lucky to get as much as we have but as someone on here said it seems we always want more.  best of luck in alkl your searchings and please keep up the interesting page here. All our information came from The REd Cross in Geneva and we never had to pay; The archives in London with help from German family history society and family info with certificates; Also the Wakefield Library, I will get the full address and post it later;

Eise
Burton Latimer; Isham; Rushden; Raunds; Great Addington;
Cheshire; Northants; Bedfordshire; Hereford;