Author Topic: ROWE & MILLETT Cornwall to South Africa  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Colin K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ROWE & MILLETT Cornwall to South Africa
« on: Friday 14 October 05 10:51 BST (UK) »
Reseaching the ROWE & MILLETT families ex Cornwall to South Africa circa late 1890's -1900's.
Father: Thomas Henry ROWE &  his  2 sons, Thomas  (jnr ) ROWE, and Jack ROWE: also looking for information on Phillip MILLETT married to a Maria Mercy ROWE, daughter and sister of the above three ROWES:

Any assistance as to where they may have emigrated to, possable children born, and / or death, burial or cemetary information will be gratefully received.
Millett, Mellett, Mallett, originating Cornwall England
Kennedy all New Zealand:
Kennedy all Ireland

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ROWE & MILLETT Cornwall to South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 October 05 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
The national archives ( read the guidelines to research in SA) show that Phillip died in 1918 in the Transvaal, with wife surviving Maria b Rowe.
here is the reference:

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   SOURCE    MHG                                                                   TYPE      LEER                                                                  VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     SYSTEM    01                                                                    REFERENCE 34585                                                                 PART      1                                                                     DESCRIPTION          MILLETT, PHILLIP.                                                     STARTING  19180000                                                              ENDING    19180000                                                              REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE MARIA MILLETT (BORN ROWE).   

What was Thomas Henry's wifes name? This might enable me to find his death.
will keep on looking
Ruth   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 October 05 16:42 BST (UK) »
Here is Thomas Henrys death notice from the Free State archives in 1901:
There is also one for him in the Transvaal archives.
If you apply for a death notice it will list children and maybe grandchildren.
Ruth

DEPOT     VAB                                                                   SOURCE    MHG                                                                   TYPE      LEER                                                                  VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     SYSTEM    01                                                                    REFERENCE R792                                                                  PART      1                                                                     DESCRIPTION          ROWE, THOMAS HENRY.Spouse: PHYLLIS HARRY (born WRIGHT).          STARTING  19010000                                                              ENDING    19010000               

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 October 05 18:45 BST (UK) »
I see too from the archives that Henry Welfare Rowe - a cousin perhaps - was also in South Africa.
i have been going through the UK census images and cross referencing - incidently the Rowe family are miss transcribed on both the 1871 and 1891 censuses.
Ruth

Offline Colin K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 05 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth, thank you for your prompt and informative responce to my query, It is understood that Thomas Henry Rowes wife remained in the UK, never going to South Africa. I will check the National Archives using the referance provided. Again many thanks, it now gives me an location which previously the family had no knowledge.
Colin Kennedy
New Zealand 
Kennedy all New Zealand:
Kennedy all Ireland

Offline Colin K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 October 05 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

One other question if I may, do South African Death Certificates list/note the occupation of the deceased?.
Many thanks

Colin Kennedy
New Zealand
Kennedy all New Zealand:
Kennedy all Ireland

Offline rutti tutti

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 October 05 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
There are other Thomas Henrys listed in the archives with insolvency issues - may or may not be him or his son though. It would tell you his occupation, also bearing in mind that this was the time of the anglo boer war.
Read the link below for what you can find out from a death notice. There is aslo a SA lady researching the Millett - Clay family in South Africa with the Milletts being from Cornwall. Her details are on the family tree website.
let me know if there is anything else i can do for you.
Ruth

http://www.genealogyworld.net/estate.html

Offline Colin K

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 October 05 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

I have exchanged emails with Glynis Millett-Clay, unfortunately her "Millett" is as, a stepson assuming/using  the name Millett from his stepfather. I look forward to learning the way to access the information contained within the Archives you have kindly provided details of.

Many thanks once again

Colin Kennedy
New Zealand
Kennedy all New Zealand:
Kennedy all Ireland

Offline peter99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 October 05 11:00 BST (UK) »
Haven't tried this before so if I'm infringing a protocol bear with me. I have been fortunate enough to have been in touch with Colin who has helped me a good deal regarding this branch of my family. My great grandpa was the Thomas Henry Snr. in question. He went out to SA at sometime in the 1890's. His wife, Philis (or Phillis, or Phyllis...) Harry Rowe, nee Wright, was supposed to join him there but refused to go. Maybe seen as being unreasonable now, but given that she had never left the county of Cornwall in all her 87 years, I guess one could understand her reluctance to make the trip.

This SA connection fascinates me because I was led to believe T H snr. had abandoned his family and had split to SA to get away from it all.  All untrue of course. One of Thomas Henry jnr daughter married a Dixon. I beleive that branch are alive and well living in the Johannesburg area.