Author Topic: LOST IN 1861!.......  (Read 13691 times)

Offline alexangus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LOST IN 1861!.......
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 September 14 16:02 BST (UK) »
I am married to a Woodward and the two Robert Woodward's, father and son (same name) are both in my wife's ancestry. The one born 1857 is her great grandfather and obviously Robert Woodward born 1829 is her gg grandfather. I will send you the two families a bit later this evening.

Offline alexangus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 September 14 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Here is what we have.

Taking your original question and adding notes in square brackets [like this].

- Mold Marriage, April 14 1854.
Robert Woodward. Full Age. Joiner. Hendre Biffa. Father John. Joiner.
Harriet Roberts.Full Age. Hendre Biffa. Father, David. Lobourer

[This is correct. This is Robert Woodward born 1829.. Harriet was born 1830.]
[Robert's father was John Woodward b:1791. His mother: Elizabeth Jones]

- 1871 [also 1841 and 1881 census]

Adam Woodward abt 1867 Mold, Flintshire, Wales Son Nercwys Flintshire [correct]
Daniel Woodward abt 1862 Mold, Flintshire, Wales Son Nercwys Flintshire [correct]
David Woodward abt 1855 Mold, Flintshire, Wales Son Nercwys Flintshire [correct]
Elizabeth Woodward abt 1864 Mold, Flintshire, Wales Daughter Nercwys Flintshire [correct]
Harriet Woodward abt 1830 Mold, Flintshire, Wales Wife Nercwys Flintshire [mother, see marriage above]
Jane Woodward abt 1858 Mold, Flintshire, Wales Daughter Nercwys Flintshire [correct]
John Woodward abt 1850 Mold, Flintshire, Wales Son Nercwys Flintshire [see note below]
Robert Woodward abt 1829 Mold, Flintshire, Wales Head Nercwys Flintshire [father see marriage above]
Robert Woodward abt 1857 Mold, Flintshire, Wales Son Nercwys Flintshire [correct. he married Jemima Roberts b:5 mar 1857 m:27 Dec 1879] [ my wife is from this line]

Living at Castell, Nerquis. Robert a carpenter.

Have got all their details in 1881, 1891 and 1901.

Robert Snr died in 1916 and Harriet in 1918 both in Nercwys (present day spelling)
[I have Robert snr as having died 21 April 1913. This taken from his gravestone. Harriet is also burried in same grame d:7 Sept 1915. I can send you picture]

[I do not know where they were or why missed in the 1861 census]
[Now John b:1850 was already 4 years old when they got married. Normally this was a scandal at the time. However, one explanation is that John was adopted. There were many accidents on the mine and there are family stories about these involving the Woodwards. Possibly, John was an orphan from one of these accidents and was adopted.]

As mentioned, my wife comes from Robert Woodward b:1857 as shown above. So there are two Robert Woodwards in her line. From which line is your family?

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I can hopefully fill you in on John Woodward b.1850!....

Robert Snr's marriage to Harriet Roberts was his 2nd....his 1st marriage was 11th Oct 1847 at Llangynhafal, North of Ruthin, to a Charlotte Jones b.1830. On the cert both are listed as of "full age", Robert a joiner of Tafarn y Gelyn, Llanferres & Charlotte a servant of Bryn Bedw, fathers are listed as John Woodward & Thomas Jones both joiners. Witnesses, Thomas Price & Harriet Evans.
Interestingly, a previous set of 2 of 3 banns were read for the couple at Mold on the 12th & 19th Sept 1847, then crossed out in the register.... ? a change of location for some reason?....

Robert & Charlotte had 2 sons, both baptised at Gwernaffield.
Thomas b.1848 bapt. 7th Jan & John b.1850 bapt. 14th Feb. on both register entries Robert & Charlotte listed as parents, joiner residing at "Cat Hole" (Cadole)

Sadly Charlotte dies not long after John's birth aged 20, death registered 1stQ 1850.

In 1851, Thomas & John are listed as grandsons living with Charlottes parents, listed as "sawyers sons"....

Hope this helps!

Sarah :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Davies/Griffiths/Smith/Woodward/Goodwin/Morrlle/Moralee - Flintshire

Moralee (and variants) - Durham

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Oops!....forgot to add Charlotte was buried at Llanferres 23rd Feb 1850, abode listed as Cat Hole & age (? slightly out) 23.

In a nutshell, my line descends from Adam Woodward b.1866, he married an Elizabeth Thomas b.1866 in 1884. They had an amazing amount of children, 15! One daughter, also Elizabeth, b.1886 married an Edward Davies in 1909 & yet another large family of 11 children....my grandmother, Gwyneth Mair Davies 1917-1990 was one of their daughters.

If I can help or share any other info on the Woodwards let me know....I've also photos (albeit bit fuzzy scanned copies!) of Robert & Harriet and Adam & Elizabeth, also a few Woodward graves from here & there...if you'd like copies

Offline alexangus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Sarah. This is wonderful news and explanation of what we saw on the census. At my age my memory is not that good so I have to go over the papers every time. We will study this. My wife says thank you. She is very excited to have this information.
She would like to know where you link in on the family tree so she can note it in her journal.

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 17:43 BST (UK) »
You're welcome!.. :) I've sent you a PM including my e-mail address.

Offline alexangus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, did not see your second reply.
That is wonderful news. Her father, who passed away 2 months ago at age 96 used to talk about Adam. But I think it must be an Adam in the next generation though.
Alison (my wife) would love to have any information you have, never mind the quality.
Her mail is alison@systemlink.co.za. We can communicate further by mail.

Offline sem73

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Oops!...crossed posted! :)

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 September 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Have read the posts with interest but as I am now in Japan on holiday do not have much time. Would like to hear more going back to my first Adam W born circa 1736.

Will be in touch

Peterej
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"