Author Topic: Clachans in Ayrshire, who spread to London.  (Read 1878 times)

Offline treeboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Clachans in Ayrshire, who spread to London.
« on: Saturday 15 October 05 17:02 BST (UK) »
CLACHAN.

Clachans are quite rare, there are only a few of us doing Clachan trees. Are you? If so I'd like to keep in touch. I and another member are trying to establish the link (a James Clachan) between the Ayrshire 'branch' and the 'new' 'London (and Essex) branch'. This branch is now spread across the South East.

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clachans in Ayrshire, who spread to London.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 July 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
I have Clachar from around Girvan in my tree, are they a branch of the Clachans
Butler in Hampshire, Sussex, Middlesex, London;also special interests including Bramshott, Empshott, Selborne, Faringdon, Tuxlith/Milland, Rogate, Midhurst, Liphook, Greatham, Hampstead.

Offline clachar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 February 07 14:28 GMT (UK) »

I've been researching the Clachars from Ayrshire specifically Kirkoswald and Girvan. There are spelling variations, Clacher and Claucher but I don't know of a link to Clachan. Nor had I traced any to the London area.

Offline mikel2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
I have a connection to the Clachers born Kirkoswald who lived Girvan starting with James Clacher who married Janet Grange who married in 1796. I note sea farers and also the Ayrshire mailings on smuggling and this caught my interest. I would be interested in any links with these men but also whether they were still smuggling a generation or so later. I have links to Ayrshire customs men too through the Grange side so it all gets very messy
Mike

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Butler in Hampshire, Sussex, Middlesex, London;also special interests including Bramshott, Empshott, Selborne, Faringdon, Tuxlith/Milland, Rogate, Midhurst, Liphook, Greatham, Hampstead.

Offline mikel2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 February 18 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Yes I saw those articles and they certainly interested me although the Clachers involved are a generation above the Clachers I know about.
My Janet Grange married James Clacher in 1796 Kirkoswald and I have found six children of the marriage and fr three of the children I am confident I have found the marriage and children of the second generaton.
That's all I know at present. However some of the BMDs after this marriage occurred in Girvan and that's where they are on the 1841 and 1851 census so that's why this thread seemed promising
Mike

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 February 18 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Your James Clacher is my 3rd great grand uncle. I have some information going back to James Clacher who is my 6th great grandfather, and some information going forward. One of the Clacher girls married a brackenridge who is related to the breckridge mentioned in the article about smuggling.
There is a monument on Girvan seafront dedicated to Alexander Clacher b. 1803(?) who was the son of James & Janet.

Offline mikel2009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi allen,
I thought the monument might be to that Alex. The first names don't help us too much do they? It is a small selection used repeatedly each generation and many same named cousins are born very close together.
It would be good to share. Are you able to pm me?