Author Topic: Marden Orphanage, Ober Road, Brockenhurst  (Read 7251 times)

Offline harveyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marden Orphanage, Ober Road, Brockenhurst
« on: Saturday 15 October 05 18:29 BST (UK) »
My mum is 74 years old and would dearly love to know if anyone remembers her from the Orphangage in 1941 onwards.  Looking for Joan Stubbington, Beryl, Sylvia, and Joyce Cooper (joyce went onto be a nurse) , Joyce Barnes, Barbara and Jean Lawson, their father lived in Shobnall Street, Burton upon Trent, Betty Sheraton, The orphanage moved to Lyndhurst (next village) .  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Matrons name was Pearl Perry and there was also a Mrs Wilson., Miss Rice, Miss Taylor.

Offline sstanbrook

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marden Orphanage, Ober Road, Brockenhurst
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello

Just read all your info with regards to your mother and the above orphanage.  My mum is SYLVIA (72) & was at the orphanage in 1945 ish. Is this the same Sylvia you are looking for?  She was born in So'ton.  Mum can remember Maton Wilson and Miss Taylor, Beryl, singing in the choir at St Nicolas and St Saviour churches and many other things .. hope you get this would be interested to hear any more info you have.

Rgds Lisa

Offline sstanbrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 August 06 20:54 BST (UK) »
My mum is 74 years old and would dearly love to know if anyone remembers her from the Orphangage in 1941 onwards.  Looking for Joan Stubbington, Beryl, Sylvia, and Joyce Cooper (joyce went onto be a nurse) , Joyce Barnes, Barbara and Jean Lawson, their father lived in Shobnall Street, Burton upon Trent, Betty Sheraton, The orphanage moved to Lyndhurst (next village) .  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Matrons name was Pearl Perry and there was also a Mrs Wilson., Miss Rice, Miss Taylor.

Mum now going into further detail - Miss Rice was the cook - was Joan head-girl?  .. I look forward to your reply..

Offline mic-c

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 09 05:54 BST (UK) »
Hi 

My Mum , Margaret Wheeler was in Marden Orphanage for 6 years starting in 1943 . She was 4 years old but thinks your mother might remember her sister, Jean Wheeler who is 76 . If you are still looking for information on the Girls you mentioned, I can phone my Auntie Jean and ask her . My Mum now lives in Canada but I was able to take my kids (all 7) 'over the pond' to Brockenhurst and show them the Orphanage of which they've heard so many stories ! 

Offline sstanbrook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 09 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi thank you for coming back to us with the information. Completely forgot to ask Mum and will go back and get information from her to see if she knows your Mum and Aunt. 
Will reply soonest.  Many thanks Lisa.

Offline harveyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

I just wondered if there was any chance on picking up on this thread" did Jean Wheeler know my mother Patricia Pearce )as she was in 1941) my mum will be 80 this year and I would so love to be able to say I found some link to the girls home.  Any help would be so grateful.  Thanks

Offline AnnieE57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hello to everyone interested in Marden and Hawkslease orphanages.  Great to have found this site.  My grandmother was Matron Pearl Wilson and her sister, my great aunt, was Miss Gladys Perry.  My mum was Rosemary Wilson.  I recently made contact with Sheila Hansford, there from 1949-1954, who has written some memoirs about her childhood and filled me on what it was like to live at the orphanage.  I was so pleased she has such happy memories.  Pearl and Gladys went on to live together in their later years near my parents and were adored by everybody as they were always such fun company.  I attach a photo of them taken when they were in their 80s.  Unfortunately neither they, nor my mother, are still alive. 
Best wishes
Annabel

Offline AnnieE57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 June 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry, that photo didn't work as intended.  Will try again later.

Offline AnnieE57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 June 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Sheila Hansford, mentioned in my previous post, was nee Sheila Souch.
Also, to see the rest of the above photo of Matron Pearl Wilson (left) and Miss Perry in their much later years, just scroll along at the bottom to see further right.