Author Topic: 1851 Census details pls - Brighton  (Read 1635 times)

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census details pls - Brighton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 09:00 BST (UK) »
the only john betteridge showing on the bivri for gloucestershire is this one-
john betteridge bapt 20th may 1781 abson gloucestershire.parents john and eliza betteridge.stow is proberley stow on the wold
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 09:11 BST (UK) »
the BIVRI has these marriages for betteridges in brigton sussex.
samuel betteridge married ann butler 2nd oct 1825
charles betteridge married kitty jasper 24th oct 1827
emily charlotte bettridge married william alfred hutt 1st aug 1870.brides father george betteridge and grooms father william hutt .brides age 18yrs and grooms age 21yrs.
elizabeth ann bettridge married william baker 26th oct 1876.brides father edward william betteridge and grooms father william baker.brides age 20yrs grooms age 25yrs.
ada sarah charlotte bettridge married thomas frederick hart 14th june 1877.brides father george betteridge and grooms father thomas hart.brides age 19yrs and grooms age 23yrs
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline ex1066er

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 August 06 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Alli,

Thanks for the BIVRI lookups for my BETTERIDGE family.

At first glance I thought that your John Betteridge find in Abson,Glocestershire was too far from Stow [0n-the-Wold].  But I should explore further, as the only reference I have to his place of birth is "Stoke [or Stow], Glos." from the 1851 Census.

Close to Abson I have found "Stone", "Stone Easton", "North Stoke" ....... so the hunt continues.

John
Gambrill Reed Taylor Selway Carveth Degan McGrath

Offline ex1066er

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 August 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne & 'Brede',

Glad to see that my hunt has by chance flushed out your link to Ellen May Betteridge from Eastbourne.

Did you know that there are two Ellen May Betteridge listings in the 1891 Eastbourne Census? The elder is a widow age 66 born in Mitchelmarsh, Hants. The younger is age 1 born in Eastbourne (and her father Walter Betteridge was born in Winchester, Hants).  Is the elder Ellen May the mother of Walter, with a grandaughter named after her?

Did your Percy Attfield marry the above younger Ellen May Betteridge? If so, I encourage you to follow your Betteridge line back ..... we may link up in Glocestershire!

Let me know about Ellen May.
John 
Gambrill Reed Taylor Selway Carveth Degan McGrath

Offline Annmartin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 18 August 06 08:13 BST (UK) »
I spoke to my nan, and she says she used to call her Uncle Percys wife Aunt Nellie!!!! but I am  sure it is Ellen and know Percy Attfield was definitely her Uncle, as nan remembers him having the farm at Winkney, and having the Roads Percival Road and Attfield Walk named after him.  Ellen had brothers and a sister, Kate (my great grandmother) Horace...who moved to Canada and I think Sidney.  Nan also remembers an Arthur....but whether he existed I am not sure.
Walter was definitely their father, and Mary.......I have a newpaper obituary for Mary Kate....My nans grandmother....she died on June 15th 1924, aged 72.  Her ashes were interred at Ocklynce cemetery, Old Town in Eastbourne.
Anyway...I hope this rings bells for someone...and I am busily looking for more links.  Hope to report back with more soon!!!
Ann

O by the way...Brede, is that actually your name?  Nan says it rang a bell for her when I mentioned you......do you remember a Kitty (always known as Molly) Gander?   She would have been your cousin I guess.
Attfield
Betteridge
Gander
Herbert
Hewlett
Bailey