Author Topic: Penlington/Plant/Tilsley  (Read 3759 times)

Offline annetay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Penlington/Plant/Tilsley
« on: Sunday 16 October 05 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi I am Tracing my Gran Louisa Penlington 1902 Manchester.
her parents Thomas Penlington 1865 Jane Penlington 1862 (nee) Tilsley from Nantwich. am sure Thomas is the son of Thomas Penlington 1829-1873 and Jane Penlington 1831  (nee) Plant, married 1852 Nantwich.

In 1881 census Jane Penlington (1831) is living in Leeds at Wainwrigts Yard with 3 of her children Thomas 1865 John 1867 and Uriah 1871, it states she is a widow so I checked Cheshire BMD and there is a  death and will for a Thomas Penlington aged 44 an Inn Keeper of Nantwich I am sure this is my great- great grand dad.

Lost Jane  and the 3 children in Leeds, not seen whats on the will and cant find any info on Thomas 1829 and Jane 1831 Parents.  On some records I have manged to find, its possible Thomas was from Audlem and Jane from KnutsFord. I do know that they were in Welsh row 1861 census with Children William Henry 1853 Mary Jane 1855 and Edith Ann 1858-1862. any help as to were I go next will be much appreciated (annetay) ??? ???

Penlington, Plant,Tilsley,Taylor,Tarrant

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re: Penlington/Plant/Tilsley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 October 05 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Not quite sure where you are with this one and how we can help, firstly do you have all the census info for Thomas (innkeeper and Jane?
  Does their marriage certificate give a fathers name etc ?

peterbennett

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline annetay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 October 05 18:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your speedy reply. My great grand Thomas 1865 and Jane Tilsely 1862 are on the 1901 census both from Nantwich some how they have moved to Manchester and Married they had 8 Children all born Gorton. I cant find any info on Jane (plant) Penlington(1831) widow, between 1881 and 1901 census. as to the wedding cert only viewed part details applying to Cheshire BDM for copy. and I think I will have to do the same for Thomas's  will 1873. Before 1837 records finding it hard to get any info on Thomas and Jane innkeepers the pub was the Swan Priory Lane Nantwich. How do I find were Thomas is buried? any info as to point me right direction.thanks Anne

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

I could proberbly find quite a bit of info for you pre 1861, but before sending you (and me )down the wrong road I will wait till you can confirm the "right" dad. As you suspect,Thomas the publican is a likely dad,but best to make sure.

If you find that your Penlingtons originate from the Audlem area we do have another "rootschatter" with the same connections, have a look at this link.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,82199.0.html

hope to hear from you soon

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline chrissiehope

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I am that "other rootschatter" !!

My Penlingtons are George b c 1829, son of Joseph, who married Mary Roycroft. In my early searches for info however, I came across someone who was also researching 'your' Thomas & Jane nee Plant. If you'd like to send me a PM, I will pass on their email address - I'm sure they won't mind, as I got the address in the first place through a posting on another website !

I do have a bit of info on Thomas & Jane, but it will probably be simpler if you get it all in one go from the other person, rather than piecemeal !

Looking forward to hearing from you

Cheers,
Chris
Hindley family (Chesh/NWales), Hope family (Chesh), Sheppard family (London), Carlisle family (London), Welch family (London/Notts).
Abergele town/area esp Chapel St/Post Office Lane 1800-1900

Offline annetay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris am new to this so what is a PM

I am sure am on the right track with Thomas and Jane the Inn Keepers, but as (peterbennett) says best get the certs first. Will let you know as soon as I get them. Just got back off my hols so will get on to it ASAP My dad is still living (82) and remembers Thomas 1865 and Jane 1862 he went to live with their eldest daughter Alice (1889), when his dad was killed in a RTA  George Taylor 1900-1932 LOUISA(nee PENLINGTON) TAYLOR 1902. Were planning a trip to Nantwich dad wants to see were his grand parents came from,  do you have any idea were Thomas might be buried if he died in 1873 in Nantwich
best regards Anne

Offline chrissiehope

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 09:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I see you found out about PMs! I have replied to yours.

If you go to the Boro of Crewe & nantwich website:
http://www.crewe-nantwich.gov.uk/main.asp?page=717 at the bottom of the page it tells you what info they have & what they need to trace a burial/cremation in their records ! I've been to Audlem cemetery (a lot of Hopes are there !), but I don't think there were any Penlingtons, tho I did find one in Wybunbury cemetery of a John died 1916 aged 78, his wife Hannah d 1933 age 90 and their daughter Jane d 1970 age 85 - are these any of yours ?

Cheers,
Chris
Hindley family (Chesh/NWales), Hope family (Chesh), Sheppard family (London), Carlisle family (London), Welch family (London/Notts).
Abergele town/area esp Chapel St/Post Office Lane 1800-1900

Offline annetay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 20:55 BST (UK) »
:-\Hi Chris don't know if this John is 1 of mine, only tracking the direct line of  Thomas 1829 and Jane 1831,will keep you posted if i find out

Thanks Anne

Offline jane.lacy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just found your post doing my family tree and Jane Plant was my 2nd cousin  a few generations back