Author Topic: mary elizabeth lewis  (Read 8395 times)

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
mary elizabeth lewis
« on: Sunday 22 August 04 14:49 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find some information on my great granmother Mary Elizabeth Lewis
In 1888 she was in Gloucester Workhouse having my Gran Frances Louisa.
Only thing it says is she was a domestic servant of Barton St Mary.
Lewis isnt a rare name in these parts and I havent been able to find her on any census  can anyone help please
sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: mary elizabeth lewis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 August 04 14:28 BST (UK) »
The first question that occurs to me is - where did you find Frances Louise in the 1891 census? Unless she was still in the Workhouse then she was probably with her mother or grandmother. If you haven't found her yet try under louise and also under Fanny- you will know the age.
Barton St. Mary became Barton St. Michael about that time but that is probably no help.
Mary Elizabeth may not have survived long after the birth of Frances. If you cannot find her in the 1891 census then it would be worth a look to see if there is a death record between 1888 and 1891.
I am still a relative beginner and Gloucs, is not well favoured in some of the census transcriptions so one must look in every direction. I find much useful information in Death Certificates - one of them unexpectedly put me in touch with an unknown second family of my own father.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 04 14:44 BST (UK) »
Another possibilty for the non-appearance of Mary Elizabeth Lewis in the 1891 census [or later] is that she may have married between 1888 and 1891 and so, later carried a different surname.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 August 04 21:11 BST (UK) »
I havent found either Frances or Mary in 1891 I do know when Frances married  and that was in India but from when born to then  ??? ???

family whispers have her brought up by a relative but as I dont know Marys family it makes it difficult.

guess I shall have to get to workhouse records to see if they tell me anything

sandie

suppose nobodies going to Gloucester records office?
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 August 04 22:02 BST (UK) »
Sandiep - you may be delighted. I had an idle moment when I decided that I could no more with my tree until a certifiacte arrives next week so I put my largest magnifying glass to this.
I found a death record for Mary Elizabeth Lewis at Gloucester, age 17, Jun 1888, Vol. 6a, page 195.
That lead me to look for who was fostering little Frances Louisa. I looked for a Louisa [tried Frances and Fanny] age 3, in Gloucestershire, 1891 census. I found her , as a LODGER, with a 60 year old man and a 53 year old woman, at the parish of St. John the Baptist, Gloucester East, 34 Clarence Row. Regrettably I could not find a way of copying that record to you.
"Lodger" - might have been fostered with these people or they may have been her grandparents but their surname was not Lewis.
Anyway, there is something for you to chase and if I am right I will award myself 2 gold stars.

~~~~~~~~
Births Mar 1870
~~~~~~~~

LEWIS  Mary Elizabeth    Westbury, S.  6a 231   

~~~~~~~~
Births Sep 1870
~~~~~~~~

Lewis  Mary Elizabeth     Stratford  6d 528   

~~~~~~~~
Births Jun 1871
~~~~~~~~

Lewis  Mary Elizabeth     Westbury  6a 240   

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 August 04 11:53 BST (UK) »
thank you certainly gives me something to look at
you can definately have 2 gold stars and a big grin ;D
sandie

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 August 04 17:19 BST (UK) »
just had a look at Frances Louisa's birth certificate and and she was born on 29th June 1888 so it could be that her mother died giving birth I shall send for certificate and will let you know.

Have found entry you mentioned to a Joseph Tippetts and a Sarah tippets childs name Louisa lewis right age so maybe

Also found on 1901 a Frances Lewis age right as a visitor what do you think?

I wish I had talked more to my grandparents when they were alive hindsight is marvellous

sandie

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 August 04 20:31 BST (UK) »
Sandie
Death in childbirth was an ever present factor in those days. One can usually learn something from a death certificate.
People often used one of their given names in favour of another. Frances was usually shortened to Fanny so she may have preferred to use Louisa or else her foster-parents did.
Both of the likely candidates to be the mother came from the Forest of Dean area - Westbury-on-Severn registration district. When Frances is shown as a visitor during the 1901 census that is again in the same area.
The death certificate will give you a handle on her date and place of birth and that will lead you to her birth certificate and so back another generation. It might be interesting to find a marriage of the Tippetts - Sarah may have been a relative of poor Mary Elizabeth.
Talking to folks of the older generations about their ancestry tended to be frustrated. So many people had skeletons in their cupboards that are trivial by modern standards of relaxed morality. And, many of them invented ancestry to cover up damp stains or to appear more important. My family history is full of such. My mother claimed to be a relative of Captain Matthew Webb, the first Channel swimmer but I am darned if I can find any connection!

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 August 04 00:01 BST (UK) »
thanks for your thoughts 2 heads are better than 1 .
your right about family skeletons if you have a look at common room I have a thread about Dowells the family Frances married into cant find her husbands mums marriage!

My great gran on my mums side was a Webb have to check maybe Captain Mathew is one of mine ;D dont think so.
Forest of Dean sounds good I remember Nan taking me to Rustpidge in Forest of Dean to vist either her niece or cousin little grey cells dont remember this would have been around 1956ish Frances would have been about 68 Dorothy whom we visited seemed about same to a youngster but probablly 20years younger oh dear its too late must go to bed think again in morning
night  sandie