Author Topic: Charles Hamilton married to Cissy.  (Read 3482 times)

Offline janham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charles Hamilton married to Cissy.
« on: Sunday 22 August 04 15:04 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me trying to find to find any info on a Charles Hamilton, he was born in Waterford Ireland but settled in Wales.   I know his wife was named Cissy or Cecelia.  They had children some of whom where Nelly, Josie and Stewart, Nelly may have married a Thornhill.
The only clue I have is a picture taken of the family at a studio in Swansea, on the bottom of the photo is H. A. Chapman.   Any help anyone can give with this would be appreciated. 

Regards
Jan
Otho Hamilton, John Hamilton, George Hamilton, William Hamilton, from Waterford.
Cullinane and Fitz-henry from Waterford
Oxland from Waterford
The Olivestob Hamiltons from Edinburgh.

Cook from Stroud, Painswick, Glos.
Hudson from Huddersfield, Liverpool
Spiers from Evesham and Liverpool
Jinks from Evesham and Liverpool

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Hamilton married to Cissy.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 04 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am sure I contacted you previously regarding your search in Swansea.

Another avenue would be The Cambrian Index which is being transcribed by Swansea Reference Library.
I am wondering if the family may have had a mention at all in the local newspapers. It is always worth a shot when you are absolutely stuck!
Not all years are done, as this is an ongoing project however here are the contact details:

The computerised index to The Cambrian newspaper is an important resource. The period covered currently is from January 1804 (when the newspaper started), to 1873, apart from birth, marriage and death entries which extend to 1909. The area covered is primarily that of the former county of West Glamorgan. The database is organised into 460 wide-ranging subject headings and contains circa 350,000 entries. It can be accessed by date, topic or name and enquiries about use of the Index are welcomed. The Library Service will make this innovative database available on the Internet in due course, but in the meantime, please contact Mr. Richard Brighton, the Cambrian Indexing Supervisor, or Mrs. Marilyn Jones, the Local Studies Librarian, for further information. Please e-mail cambrian.index@swansea.gov.uk or telephone Swansea (01792) 516758. There is a nominal charge for this service.

Offline janham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Hamilton married to Cissy.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 November 04 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Thanks for the info, but the family did not arrive in Swansea until after 1901.  The Charles I seek was still single and on the Waterford census in 1901.  Sounds like it's going to be a wonderful resource when it's online

Thanks again for keeping me in mind

Jan
Otho Hamilton, John Hamilton, George Hamilton, William Hamilton, from Waterford.
Cullinane and Fitz-henry from Waterford
Oxland from Waterford
The Olivestob Hamiltons from Edinburgh.

Cook from Stroud, Painswick, Glos.
Hudson from Huddersfield, Liverpool
Spiers from Evesham and Liverpool
Jinks from Evesham and Liverpool