Author Topic: Places in Bradwell  (Read 7185 times)

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Places in Bradwell
« on: Tuesday 18 October 05 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is there anyone with local knowledge of New Bradwell?

Firstly my Clamp ancestors were living at 154 and 153 Top Street in New Bradwell in 1871 to 1891.  On the 1901 census they were living at 14 and 16 Bridge Street.  Are these streets one and the same, they just changed name?

Also, my dad was born at Wharf House, New Bradwell, which I believe was at his Clamp grandmothers.  Does anyone know whereabouts in New Bradwell that would be?

I visited a few years ago, but my dad was no longer about, and although my mum went with me, she was becoming senile and couldn't help much, although she was better with Wolverton, her place of birth.

Thanks,
Diane

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Places in Bradwell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 17:12 BST (UK) »
The old railway line from Wolverton to Newport Pagnell used to follow the Grand Union Canal as far as Great Linford and there was a station on that line that was originally called the Bradwell Wharf Station.  This was on the road to Old Bradwell which is now called Bradwell Road and I would expect to find Wharf House there.  I don't remember a Bridge Street but there was a Bridge Way which ran parallel to the canal at the end of Thompson Street where my ancestors lived and which was next right off the Newport Pagnell Road after Bradwell Road.

New Bradwell didn't exist until 1854 when the first 174 houses were built as an extension to the original railway town of Wolverton and between then and 1900 both towns expanded rapidly.  If your ancestors were any thing like mine they moved a number of times into the newer better houses which were often allocated according to position in the works.  If you look at the original terraced housing in Wolverton (if it still exists) you will even see the larger supervisor's houses at the end of the rows.

I find modern Milton Keynes totally confusing because they have reused old names like Stantonbury which was originally taken over by New Bradwell to mean totally different areas.

I hope the above helps a bit

David

Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

Yes there is a Bridge Street in New Bradwell it runs off of Church ST to the Canal not sure whats down there now but if you want me to have a scout its not far .

Yes I live in the dreaded Milton Keynes,but its not all roundabouts !!!. I do live in one of the few old parts Shenley Brook End .
  Lots of the old parts of Bradwell and Wolverton still stand so the houses could still be there.

Tazzie

p.s to David -still trying to get to Library will see tomorrow.
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much.

I used to visit Wolverton and New Bradwell as a child and hated it - all old terraced houses!  I wish I'd paid more attention now!

My grandad (maternal side) lived in Windsor Street, Wolverton, and the family lived there from when it was built.  We have the old deeds from when the land was purchased from the railway company.

My grandma (paternal side) lived in Caledonian Road, New Bradwell.

The Clamps must have moved to New Bradwell from Suffolk at about the time those first 174 houses were built because on the 61 census the oldest child that was born there was 5. 

All the menfolk on all branches of these families worked at the railway works.

Does anyone have any idea where Top Street was?

I think I will have to find an old map from somewhere, and then go on another nostalgia visit.

Thanks again,
Diane

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane,

This is getting too close.  My paternal grandparents also lived in Windsor Street at 139 and their youngest daughter now in her 80s still lives there.  She was personal secretary to the manager of Wolverton Works until she retired. Both of my grandfathers, one great grandfather and my father for a short time worked in the Carriage Works.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, some of the menfolk in my families were brass finishers in the railway carriage works, or they were coach makers or labourers.

My grandparents ( and my mum was brought up at) number 40 Windsor Street, a bit lower down the hill I suppose!

Diane

Offline IAFC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diane,

Did you find Top Street? If not I can go and see if they have any maps at CMK library. My paternal grandparents lived in Wallace St until the early 1970's, my granddad was the Co Op milkman for a number of years.

Regards

IanC

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

No, I still don't know where Top Street was, although I have a suspicion it may have changed to Bridge Street.  So if you are ever at the local library it would be great if you could look it up!  :D

Thanks,
Diane

Offline IAFC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 November 05 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diane

Been up the library, in the 1880's there were three streets that ran parallel to, and between, the Newport Road and the Grand Union canal. These were High St, Middle St & Top St, by the mid 1930's Middle St had been renamed Spencer St and Top St had indeed become Bridge St. Since then of course there has been further redevelopment and it would appear that all of the original Middle & Top St's have been demolished, although Bridge St & Spencer St are still there the bits that are left seem to be parts that were built sometime between the 1880's & 1930's. Where the original parts once stood has now been replaced by house's and flats that are known as Permayne.
The local history section of the library in CMK has for sale a map of New Bradwell (C) 1880, which clearly shows Top Street, I think it is about £2.00.

Regards

IanC