Author Topic: Places in Bradwell  (Read 7186 times)

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Places in Bradwell
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 November 05 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Wow thank you for that Ian.

It was kind of you to look that up for me.

Looks like I need another nostalgia trip over there.

Thanks,
Diane   :D

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Tazzie
You're not far away from me, I live at Two Mile Ash. Was brought up in Newport Pagnell so don't consider myself as from MK though.

My grandparents moved from Yardley Gobion to North Street, New Bradwell in the late 1930's, and my uncle stayed in New Bradwell, firstly in Thompson Street and then in Leaberry, where he still is.

A few months ago I went to pick my partner up from one of the local pubs in Bradwell and got talking to en elderly gent who was celebrating his birthday. I happened to mention my mum and her family had lived there many years' ago and, it turns out, this gent not only knew my mum but used to play in the streets with her.

Nadine
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nadine.

Something like that happened to me a couple of months ago. My grt grandad Albert Walker was missing in the 1901- finally found him as Albert Walter living "nr Prince Albert Inn " Old Bradwell.
 So went out on the Sunday afternoon -kids in tow - and drove to the old part.
Found the pub but lots of old cottages so we went for a walk and met an old man gardening.We got into conversation and he said he'd lived in the street all his life so I asked if he knew any Walkers who used to live round here.Oh yes he said I remember old Henry.That was grt grandads newphew and he took us to where they used to live- some days you just get lucky.

Tracy
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family of Mr CLAMP who taught at the Radcliffe School in Wolverton during the 1960s?
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 January 18 13:42 GMT (UK) »
in the 1880's there were three streets that ran parallel to, and between, the Newport Road and the Grand Union canal. These were High St, Middle St & Top St, by the mid 1930's Middle St had been renamed Spencer St and Top St had indeed become Bridge St. Since then of course there has been further redevelopment and it would appear that all of the original Middle & Top St's have been demolished, although Bridge St & Spencer St are still there the bits that are left seem to be parts that were built sometime between the 1880's & 1930's. Where the original parts once stood has now been replaced by house's and flats that are known as Permayne.

I believe the original railway houses built in the 1850s were named Top Street - this was the row closest to the canal and the highest up the hill - Middle Street and Bottom Street.

They were built in 7 blocks between what is now called Bradwell Road, which comes down over the railway and canal bridges from Bradville, to the east and what is now St James Street to the west. Where St James Street is was the western boundary of the land the railway company had acquired.

There were two north-south streets running from Newport Road up to the canal - Chucrh Street which ran along the eastern side of St James' and Glyn Street (named after a railway company personage, cf Glynn Sqaure in Wolverton).

Looking at a plan of Stantonbury/New Bradwell (the buses still had Stantonbury on their destination boards as late as the early 1960s) that says it dates from 1860 at the northern end coming south, between Church Street and the boundary there is firstly St James and then the Church Schools - now the Community Centre buildings. Then two terraces with a narrow alley between them, then two more terraces again with a narrow alley between them and finally a single terrace with a back alley.

Between Church Steet and Glyn Street there are again three blocks with alleys but these blocks have more houses and are wider.

Then between Glyn Street and Bradwell Road we only have two blocks, the single row by the canal isn't built because the canal curves and there isn't enough space.

The road between the topmost rows and the southern side of the middle blocks is marked a Bridge Street - this was originally Top Street.

The road between the middle and northernmost blocks is marked Spencer Street and it is one of these blocks that still exists today and are Listed. This was Middle Street.

The northern side of the norhern blocks is marked High Street, which was Bottom Street. The railway houses were only built on this side of the High Street - if you look at the High Street today you will see a different style of Victorian buildings.

All the railway terraces have gone now apart from the Listed block at Spencer Street, which is pedestrian only. Modern housing including the terrace called Permayne built on the land. There is still a road called Bridge Street which is modern housing.

New Bradwell Heritage Group's website http://www.mkheritage.org.uk/nbhg/ has a virtual tour and lots of information about New Bradwell.

Hope this is of use.

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 January 18 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that info Darnity. As far as I know, none of this family became teachers.

Offline Jillovah

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
My Grandparents lived in Wharf House My Mums Maiden name is Clamp

Offline pnoenix

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jillovah

I have sent you a personal message.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 April 19 14:28 BST (UK) »
On the subject of New Bradwell - does anyone happen to know if the Primitive Methodist Church in Thompson Street is still in use?  It is listed in the 1911 Kellys Directory.

The mighty g00gle leads to various websites which suggest it could now be a Methodist Church or a Tabernacle.  I hope to establish what it is so I can contact them - I am trying to find out if the church has a memorial plaque or Roll of Honour for WW1 WW2.

Many thanks
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk