Author Topic: chester street mold  (Read 2190 times)

Offline snoopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
chester street mold
« on: Wednesday 19 October 05 20:09 BST (UK) »
hi,
could anyone please tell me if there was a public house at 27 chester street mold in 1871,  on the 1871 census a woman gave her occupation as a publican.  this woman ann woods is i believe my gt gt grandmother and am curious to know if this address was indeed a public house

thanks
snoopy

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: chester street mold
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I can tell you that there is a pub,The Victoria,at 25 Chester St today.The next nearest is a few doors away,that is the Boars Head,but I don't know which way the numbers go and is probably too far away to be No 27.I assume the Vic was there in 1871,but I can't say for definite.

The other side of the Vic is now a large space which is the pub/auction room car park.

There are no other pubs on Chester St now.

Best of luck............ :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline snoopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 October 05 17:45 BST (UK) »
hi llwyd,
thankyou ever so much for the reply, i appreciate it as i do not live close enough for research.
If you have any other info or advice it would be very welcome.
thanks
snoopy

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 05 01:38 BST (UK) »
I was a policeman in Mold in the 70s. The street numbering would have started from the High street cross and the Vic would have been one of the last buildings, because the railway station was next to it. The area  now next to the pub is an auction room/parking area. Also in Chester street was the animal market which would have dominated the Town centre. Opposite was the police station/ Assize courts and County buildings. If you check the site 'Maps and go into 'Old Maps' and key in Mold. you will see that an Inn was in Chester Street in about 1881. Given that Chester Street was a busy place I doubt that two pubs were adjacent, considering that the Boars head was just 'up the road'
Ask the Flintshire record Office in Hawarden if they can check some old Town maps to confirm either way. 8)

Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline snoopy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 October 05 16:39 BST (UK) »
hi eldon,
thankyou ever so much for your reply i shall check with the flintshire record office and see if they can help me with this.
thanks
snoopy

Offline suebristol

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 05 22:09 GMT (UK) »
hi there,
was also one on the cross!!
 right on the corner and in Chester road forget the name now was closed  down in the late 60s,
Maybe some one will know the name of it ?
Abbott.Roberts.  Flintshire/Debighshire
Oldfield. Turner Paryy Jones/ Northop Flint.