Author Topic: Trewartha/Hitchens  (Read 8590 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Trewartha/Hitchens
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 May 18 22:58 BST (UK) »
I was going to mention the huge Trewartha one name study tree but I can see I was beaten to it. I didn't know that tree no longer existed though. I did copy it down but I can't seem to find some of what is being mentioned so I can't look that up. I took some of the earlier entries slightly with a pinch of salt because of not being able to corroborate any of it and I think it is a lot of patchwork, mainly involving wills.

If anyone here has ancestors who appeared on that tree then we might well be related, as my line also appeared on it.

My 4xgt grandparents William RICHARDS to Persis TREWARTHA (1805) -> Peter TREWARTHA (c. 1779) and Persis WILLIAMS -> Peter TREWARTHA (c. 1754) and Susannah WILLIAMS -> Robert TREWARTHA (c. 1703) and Ann RALPH -> Robert TREWARTHA (c. 1664) and Philippa ROWE -> Robert TREWARTHA (c. 1635) and Tamsin JACK -> Collan TREWARTHA (d. 1659) and unknown wife (according to tree, not my research) -> William TREWARTHA (d. 1622) and Jone (again not my research) -> father disputed between my cousins.

Up to Robert and Tamsin JACK is supported by Ancestry DNA.

I also have Thomas HITCHENS and Grace BARRETT (m. 1776 Gwennap) and Mary HITCHENS who married Henry WILLIAMS (m. 1745 Gwennap).

Just to throw my slightly related tuppence in there.

Offline diabak

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 May 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, but that could mean lived there only, there  are no bapts, there for him.
One source says he is the s/o William ad Jane Martyn, but nothing on COPC, and the IGI is not much confirmation.
Trewartha
Nankivell
Phillips

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 07:35 BST (UK) »
I am a Trewartha/Andrewartha researcher, and I have William  Trewartha and Elizabeth Hitchins in my database, but not connected to the wider Trewartha tree. Does anyone have his parents?
Cheers
diabak,  I have Andrewartha ancestors too.  I came across an Andrewartha researcher quite a few years ago , he said that our ancestry came from one John Trewartha c.1598 Gwithian, Cornwall. However I can't recall why he said that the name was changed to "Andrewartha".
Sarra

Offline diabak

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 08:40 BST (UK) »
That, more than likely, was John Smith, from Sydney, who has sadly since died.  He was a mine of information. The original was Trewartha, who split to Andrewartha early in 16th century, then Watha, Andrew, Andrews, and many others. So we are all related,
If you need help with your family check Wikitree.
Di
Trewartha
Nankivell
Phillips

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
On the topic of Trewartha/Andrewartha etc- Laurie, who was one of the people who made the Mike Tree page, had this to say to me a few years back:

"A note on Roger Barkacke.  When you have traced the TREWARTHAs back to the top of the tree you will find Roger BARKACKE or TREWARTHA or ANDREWARTHA, a somewhat shadowy figure.*  He did exist at about the right time, but I am not sure that he is actually the proto-TREWARTHA.  You may be puzzled about his multiple names unless you know a little about Cornish names.  If you do know even a little about the subject don't bother to read on, as you know as much as I.  ANDREWARTHA is the same as TREWARTHA with the addition of (I am told) a definite article.  As a rule before the 20th century you do not find both names recorded in one place.  Where families move to a place where the other form is current they appear with that name. Very occasionally a family member is recorded with the other form from the rest of his family. Whether this was by design or by the whim of the local vicar it is not possible to say. Roger had a grandson John TREWARTHA, whose son Philip ANDREWARTHA, born in 1642, was the progenitor of most of the existing ANDREWARTHAs, though, as I said, some may have picked up the name by moving into a TREWARTHA area. As Scottish crofters still are (I understand) Cornish farmers were known by the names of their farms.  Roger would have farmed at Trewartha (the place at the top).  The TREWARTHAS were "the folks who live on the hill". (One or two people Anglicised the name to UPTON.)  Unfortunately the name is not unique and there is research as to where it was. Probably at St Agnes."

* Note that this is the guy that my cousins disagree about being the father of William. I haven't researched it and have no opinion either way.

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 May 18 04:31 BST (UK) »
That, more than likely, was John Smith, from Sydney, who has sadly since died.  He was a mine of information. The original was Trewartha, who split to Andrewartha early in 16th century, then Watha, Andrew, Andrews, and many others. So we are all related,
If you need help with your family check Wikitree.
Di
Di,
Yes that was the gentleman (John Smith), that's sad I did not know that he died.
And yes we are all related as he told me.  I will certainly check Wikitree not that I'm searching for anymore ancestors - think I have enough "Andrewarthas" for now.

Sarra

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 07 June 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Di,

William Trewartha was baptised in Crantock, son of William and Jane. He married Elizabeth Hitchens in St Clements 2 Dec 1823. His father also William Trewartha married Jane Martyn also in St Clements 30 Jul 1794. We think he was the William Trewartha who was buried in Kenwyn 14 Dec 1852.  His wife Jane Martyn was well connected and was baptised in Crantock dec 1780, daughter of Thomas Martyn and Ann King. The Martyns hailed from St Columb Minor and Crantock.

The second William Trewartha (born c1771) was most likely the son of James Trewartha and Mary Goldsworthy married Feock 27 Aug 1769. James was baptised in Gwennap 29 Dec 1730 son of William Trewartha and Mary Bishop.  This seems the likely line for our William Trewartha into the know Trewartha ancestry tree.  There are many alternative William's who aren't 'claimed' by other lines and have the right sort of connections to marry into the Martyn family (there are a couple of interesting related threads on the St Columb Minor Martyns on this forum you might like to check out).

Kind Regards
Kilmartin

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 07 June 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Di,

I forgot to mention I have seen the 1798 Crantock parish register which includes William Trewartha's Christening. It was one of those family history eureka moments!

Kilmartin