Author Topic: Trewartha/Hitchens  (Read 8589 times)

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Trewartha/Hitchens
« on: Thursday 20 October 05 10:47 BST (UK) »
William Trewartha married Elizabeth Hitchens 2 Dec 1823 at St Clement, Cornwall.  WIlliam was described as 'of Kenwyn'.  They had subsequently moved to Cardiff, South Wales by 1841.

The 1851 census gives William Trewartha's age as 51 from Truro, Cornwall.

The 1861 census gives William Trewartha's age as 62.  His place of birth is a difficult to read place in Cornwall - it looks a bit like Crantask or Cranbash.  The closest I can think of is Crantock.  Any Ideas?   Is it possibly even a small area near Truro?

Elizabeth Hitchens was 51 in 1851 and 62 in 1861.  On each census she gives her place of birth as Redruth.

I am having trouble locating the christening records of this couple.  I had hoped it would be easier to trace the Cornish side of the family as these names are not that common.

Any help would be very welcome.

Offline gougy

• I am sorry my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Trewartha/Hitchens
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 October 05 16:23 BST (UK) »
Found this on a defunct webpage:

http://www.miketree.co.uk/trewartha/f56.htm#P341 link updated 2014 now looks to be working

William TREWARTHA married Elizabeth HITCHENS
Married Tuesday 2 December 1823, St Clement

William:

Christened Sunday 17 March 1799, Gwennap
      Died BEF Thursday 1 July 1869, Newport, Mon

Elizabeth:

Born ABT 1799
      Died BEF Sunday 1 April 1877, Newport, Mon

Gwennap OPC records list:

William,s of William & Ann TREWARTHA, 17th Mar 1799

Elizabeth HITCHINS, base child of Joel Hitchins & Mary Michell, 7th July 1799

Elizabeth, d of Malachi & Ann HITCHINS, 9th Oct 1799

Elizabeth, d of John & Ann HITCHINS, 22nd Apr 1798

There's a couple of Elizabeths listed on IGI for 1799, one in Ruan Major and the other at Kenwyn.

Now that's all fine and dandy but I then found this here...
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/CORNISH/2002-02/1014472596

"William TREWARTHA bap 17th March 1799, Gwennap
married 25th December 1822, Gwennap, to Elizabeth BARRETT

Trying to find info on his parents, William TREWARTHA and Ann ?. No marriage certificate found in Cornwall. Two possibilities so far suggested"

but his back on the defunct site..
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:0CKaIUWJVkoJ:www.miketree.co.uk/trewartha/f62.htm+%22william+trewartha%22+%22elizabeth+barret%22&hl=en

William TREWARTHA  married Elizabeth BARRET

Married Wednesday 25 December 1822, Gwennap

William:
            Born ABT 1797
            Died Trevethan
            Buried Friday 21 March 1845, Gwennap

Elizabeth:
            Born ABT 1797
            Died Bus Veal
            Buried Monday 19 February 1855, Gwennap

I'll leave you to sort that lot out ;)
Sussex:<br />Lishers of Sompting, Cunninghams of Houghton, Hammonds of Angmering, Humphrey, Hambleton, Ayling, Pope, Gent<br />
London: Le Franc, Watson, Read<br />
Cornwall: Phillips of St. Ives, Chappells of Penwith<br />Ireland: O'Connors of Co. Clare<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 05 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gougy for your response.  It is a confusing area with William Trewatha's and Elizabeth Hitchens born in Cornwall around this time to be certain that I have the right ones who married at St Clement in 1823 and subsequently moved to South Wales.

I am a bit uneasy that both William and Elizabeth were born at Gwennap as I would have thought in the census they would have given the same place of birth.  Elizabeth always gave Redruth and William never gave Redruth as a place of birth.  Gwennap is nearer Redruth so maybe Elizabeth was born there.  I would not rule out the William from Gwennap as he could have moved when he was young and been unaware of his true place of birth - the date is cetainly comfortable.  One thing is certain is that William Trewartha christened 17 March 1799 in Gwennap did not die in Gwennap 1845 and Newport in the 1870s even if he did marry an Elizabeth.  How confusing!

One thing which may be significant is a visitor with William and Elizabeth in 1851 was a Catherine Beckerley born London (c1828).  I notice on the IGI most Beckerleys were from Cornwall.  Maybe she was related to William or Elizabeth.  If anyone notices a connection with the name Beckerley and either Trewartha or Hitchens I would be pleased to know.

Any more ideas?
Kilmartin

Offline ruthvirr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 December 14 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
New to the family search thing and finding out its a complete minefield!!

I believe that I am related to Trewartha's, which has come as a surprise to me as I thought all my family originated from Wales apart from my Great Grandfather who came from Norway!

My great grandfather Johan Bernhard Johanson was born in Norway and married Mary Elizabeth Davies. Her mother was Mary Jane Trewartha. Her first husband was Herbert Davies, but when widowed, she remarried and became a Heard.

Mary Jane Trewartha's parents were William Trewartha (1799) and Elizabeth Hitchens.(1797) I must say, it has been very confusing so far and that's attempting to research family from this country so I know I'll have my work cut out with the Norwegian lot!!!

Ruth
 :D

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 December 14 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Welcome to RootsChat  :D

I have had a look at gougy's link and have managed to find and update to a live website here is a link to the Mary Jane Trewartha.... there are quite a few 

http://www.miketree.co.uk/trewartha/snt.htm#TREWORTHA

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ruthvirr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 December 14 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Sarah

Just had a look quick look.. needs closer inspection I feel! Also noticed a William Hitchens Trewartha B 1839 in Cardiff!!! ?? as to whether there is any connection.  :-\

Regards Ruth   :)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 December 14 12:11 GMT (UK) »
How about this from 1851 census?

Class: HO107; Piece: 2453; Folio: 21; Page: 2
Mile Road, Castletown, Marshfield, Monmouthshire

Trewarthen, William  Head  M  51  Police Constable  b Truro, Cornwall
Trewarthen, Elizabeth  Wife  F  51  b Redruth, Cornwall
Trewarthen, Elizabeth  Daughter  F  20  Straw Bonnet Maker  b Penzance, Cornwall
Trewaerthen, Lavinia  Daughter  F  18  Straw Bonnet Maker  b Penzance
Trewarthen, William  Son  M  12  Scholar  b Cardiff
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 January 15 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

Your Mary Jane Trewartha was the sister of Lavinia Trewartha who appears on my tree.  They were daughters of William and Elizabeth Trewartha as shown in the previous post in Castletown. William Trewatha was actually born in Crantock, Cornwall and Elizabeth Hitchens was born in Redruth.  Thanks  to help from Rootschatters I have made good progress on the Trewartha line since I originally posted this message. William Trewartha was the son of another William Trewartha and Jane Martyn.  There are a few related very informative posts in the Cornwall Forum which should help fill out some background. One which helped identify that our William Trewartha was from Crantock and a few about the Martyn family of Crantock/St Columb Minor.

Please contact me if I can be of help

Kilmartin

Offline kilmartin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 January 15 21:06 GMT (UK) »
William Hitchens Trewartha born Cardiff was brother to your Mary Jane Trewartha.