Author Topic: Charles Grainger 1861 Census Birthplace changed HELP!  (Read 2703 times)

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charles Grainger 1861 Census Birthplace changed HELP!
« on: Saturday 22 October 05 02:46 BST (UK) »
Never found Charles Edward Grainger Registered at St Catherines years ago. Born 1854 MANCHESTER.
1901,1891,1881,1881, all says Manchester.
Could not find him or his Family on Manchester 1861 for city.
15 years later (last week) looked at 1837 on line YES found 1861 Census at last. But it throws up even more queries.
Now gives his place of birth as RAMSGATE KENT also his sister who was also previously given as Manchester born RAMSGATE KENT.
Their Mother who was given as Manchester in 1871 as Manchester. Now
ITALY (NATURALISED BRITISH SUBJECT) Husband JAMES GRAINGER gave his place of birth including the actual parish which is correct.
Never found their Marriage  as did not know her maiden name applied for 6 possile James Grainger Marriages all wrong and did not apply for anymore as there were quite a few.

Why would they change place of birth from Kent to Lancashire. Is this common???
How do I look for a Naturalised Italian with no name. She was 18 in 1853 when 1st child born.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks 
porcelayne ladye
Grainger Worcestershire before 1850
Chamberlain Worcester before 1850
Cowburn Preston-Salford Lancashire  before 1850   Beaumont Norfolk Sussex ALL
Knapp Worcestershire before 1850
Lee     Worcestershire before  1850
Rex     Devon               before 1850
Wainwright.Portsea. Hampshire. Before 1850
Pardoe                 Worcestershirebefore 1850
Grainger              Manchester   All
Berkshire Family History Society
0xfordshire Family History Society

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Grainger 1861 Census Birthplace changed HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 October 05 09:26 BST (UK) »

IF the enumerator didn't know OR was lazy, it's quite possible that they've just assumed everyone was  local in putting places of birth.

Why not give every person on each census. with address, piece/folio and all transcribed details?

We can't really come up with helpful suggestions, without knowing the context.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Ruth

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Aunt Gladys
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 October 05 13:52 BST (UK) »
I think you really need to return to the civil registration birth indexes using this new information, looking for a birth in Thanet Registration District for either Charles or his sister Mat(h)ilda.  Check GRANGER as well as GRAINGER because the name would certainly have jumped between the two spellings in that period (just as the birthplaces proved capable of doing).  The birth certificate will give Italian Marian's (or Marianne or Mary Ann or Maria Ann....) maiden name.

You could then check the overseas marriage indexes available on 1837online to see if James perhaps married in Italy and registered that fact with the local consul.

Information about naturalisations can be found in the National Archives' research guide on the subject:
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=242

It was fairly rare and fairly expensive and, as Marian would have become British because of her marriage to James I suspect she would not have pursued formal naturalisation.  A search in TNA's catalogue for Marian, "Mary AND Italy" and "Maria AND Italy" limiting the search to series HO 1 as suggested produces no likely results to suggest otherwise.

Hope this helps,

Ruth
Interests include:
LANSDELL in Kent & Sussex; WELLER in Kent; SELMAN/SOLOMON in Yorkshire and Staffordshire; BROYD in Essex/Cambridgeshire; KETTERIDGE in Essex/Cambridgeshire

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 October 05 20:10 BST (UK) »
Hello PaulineJ and Ruth. Thanks very much for your very quick replies
With reference to Ruth's reply #2 22.10.05 at 13.52.28
I raced off to Berkshire Records 0ffice to check out GRO indexes the first day it opened after weekend to check Thanet.  ZILCH!!!!!!!! Last week.
You then suggested overseas Marriage Indexes at 1837online.
GRO CONSULAR MARRRIAGE (1849-1854) GEEHAN-GRAVIN.
Almost at the bottom of the page
GRAINGER JAMES      CALAIS   vol 1  page 227.
Have eveything posible to cross crossed as this might just be James Marriage I have been looking for for all these years.
I phoned Southport to see How I order a certificate as the forms for Marriage were for England and Wales  only.  They gave me a number to call on Monday who deal with 0verseas Marriages.
The children were born in RAMSGATE just a blip from Calais. Seems too good to be true.
WHAT INFORMATION WOULD I GET ON A CONUSLAR RETURN  FOR A MARRIAGE.  Spent all afternoon looking through books and internet mentions them but not what they contain. Parents names to confirm it is my James Grainger her Parents too?????? You have been so helpful I dont know how to say thank you enough.

Jayne (porcelayne ladye)
Grainger Worcestershire before 1850
Chamberlain Worcester before 1850
Cowburn Preston-Salford Lancashire  before 1850   Beaumont Norfolk Sussex ALL
Knapp Worcestershire before 1850
Lee     Worcestershire before  1850
Rex     Devon               before 1850
Wainwright.Portsea. Hampshire. Before 1850
Pardoe                 Worcestershirebefore 1850
Grainger              Manchester   All
Berkshire Family History Society
0xfordshire Family History Society