Author Topic: Laird & McLuckie  (Read 18050 times)

Offline thesws

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Laird & McLuckie
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 October 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure this will from Alexander Laird is entirely in Latin. I have attached a screen shot.

There is an ancestry .com record (Scotland, Select Marriages, 1561-1910) of a marriage in Dunbarney of 'Alexr. Laird and Margaret Andersonn' dated 23rd January 1610.

Possibly this Margaret Anderson:
"Margaret Anderson Baptism Date: 29 Aug 1585
Baptism Place:    Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
Father:    Robert Anderson
Mother:    Marion Portar ".

Some information regarding the Cardean and Baikie Estate:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:csnafdPWvuEJ:https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/data/gb254-ms6/ms6/9&client=firefox-b&hl=en&gl=uk&strip=1&vwsrc=0

Offline thesws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 October 18 17:14 BST (UK) »
It is interesting that there is a Jean Gray ,wife of James Laird. I have noticed Mary Gray b1540 of Grey House, Buttergask, Perth, was grandmother of Sir Alexander Irvine b1580.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure this will from Alexander Laird is entirely in Latin. I have attached a screen shot.
No, it's not all in Latin. I can read a few of the words.

There is an ancestry .com record (Scotland, Select Marriages, 1561-1910) of a marriage in Dunbarney of 'Alexr. Laird and Margaret Andersonn' dated 23rd January 1610.

Possibly this Margaret Anderson:
"Margaret Anderson Baptism Date: 29 Aug 1585
Baptism Place:    Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland
Father:    Robert Anderson
Mother:    Marion Portar ".
Possibly, but not very likely. Dunfermline is some way from Dunbarney, and just because there is only one person who might match is a very long way from meaning that it is the right person. Only a few baptisms in a small number of parishes were recorded in the 16th century.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline thesws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 October 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Margaret's son David Laird was born only 20 miles away from Dunfermline

Offline thesws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 15 October 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
and just because there is only one person who might match is a very long way from meaning that it is the right person.

I didn't say there is only one person

Offline thesws

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 13 January 19 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Have any of you that have Robert Laird and Margaret Cowan as ancestors taken a DNA test?

I have taken the ancestry DNA test. It seems many of my DNA matches have Irwin as shared surnames.

Offline WeeKim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 01 July 19 08:07 BST (UK) »
I have Agnes Rae born 1771 who married Colin Mcluckie, one of their children Agnes Mcluckie born 1806 in Bothkennar married Thomas Ure 1 Oct 1826, their daughter Margaret Ure  married my third great uncle Thomas Cowan.  I also have laird, Graham, Ferguson and Hotchkiss in my family tree. 

Offline Sandy_Vi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 07 April 22 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have just joined this site and noticed this old thread. I am interested in the Robert Laird who married Margaret Cowan. Many of the posts query why the gap in births of 12 years between John (B 1712 ) and Helen (B 1725). This was the time of the Jacobite uprisings and my assumption is that this Robert may have been in prison for those years, hence the gap.
Some folk also have Margaret Cowan as being born in 1704, I think I can state this is incorrect as she was married in 1706! Some folk need to check their dates.
What I am interested in is:-
1) Does anyone have any death records for the Lairds before 1800 in St Ninian or Larbert?
2) Does anyone have any records for marriages or births for the Lairds prior to 1687?
3) I have noticed some trees have pictures purporting to be Lairds prior to 1687, does anyone have these and where did they come from?

Offline king_Alba

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 16 December 23 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello all.

I'm new to Routs chat but not to genealogy. & just getting around to this side of my tree.

I am descended via Abraham Laird & Elizabeth Simpson.  Although I can find no birth or death records for Abraham, I am confident his parents are Alexander & Agnes McLucky. Based on a number of DNA matches through Abraham siblings.   From Alexander, I am confident his father was Robert & his father was John. Although records are sparse it does make sense.

The question of the 12 year gap in Robert & Margaret Cowans children could be due to moving from St Ninians to Larbert & simply not registering with the local church. There could be further unknown children not recorded. However I do see a strong case for the Suggestion from Sandy_Vi. The Jacobit rising of 1715 did cause a lot of change in the country & if Robert was involved this could also enplane why he moved away from St Ninians. He doesn't seem to be close with the church there as I was unable to find has name in minute books etc.  And later his Son Alexander is registering baptisms with the associate session rather then church of Scotland.

The Jacobite Theory will need further research.

The reason I joined the site & posted here is that I can find no detail of John Laird / Agnes Murdoch other then the baptism of their 4 children.

yet on Ancestry & other sites there are some wild & wonderful family trees.   

If anybody can provide sources or documents prior to 1687 That would be great. I don't copy & paste trees like many others I love to provide detail & accuracy.

Many thanks.

James.