Author Topic: Interesting  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Interesting
« on: Tuesday 24 August 04 12:24 BST (UK) »
This was posted on another board  :-[ , but thought it was one of those useful facts that your bound to need one day.

Melanie Carruthers from the KFHS until recently was the Curator  of the
Gordon Highlander' Museum in Aberdeen, and she very kindly went back to
do some research for me.  Now the new born son of Henry [now deceased] and Mabel Denne was christened  VICTOR ALEXANDER HENRY DENNE DENNE,  but it appears from the records that Q. Victoria stood as godmother to all sons of officers killed in the Boer war.  However, there was one proviso and that was that they would all be given the Christian names of VICTOR ALEXANDER HENRY

Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Adi1962,

Thanks for that ;D

What a very interesting bit of info,Victoria must have had a lot of Godsons :o

regards,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 20:32 BST (UK) »
Bet she didn't send them all birthday and Christmas presents regularly though, like a godparent is supposed to!  Bet she didn't keep an eye on their religious upbringing either, like a godparent is supposed to!

;D ;D
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Adi1962

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 08:57 BST (UK) »
I got the impression from reading the whole story that QV instigated this, so may have followed through with birthday cards, at least.....would be nice to think she did.
Certainly would make a nice chapter in your family history, especially if you have one of the cards.

Adrian

Currently researching
GODDEN, MARSH, WATERS & HUGHES Mid Kent
BUSHROD Mid Kent/Dorset,
FURMINGER Aylesford/Maidstone/Sittingbourne - Kent

visit http://www.Kent-opc.org

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 13:31 BST (UK) »
I watched a documentary on TV in Germany recently. On the birth of your seventh child, the president of Germany becomes its godfather. Certificates etc. are issued to the family, but there is no special ceremony. One family in Cologne complained that the certificated was hand delivered by the city's Lord Mayor instead of the president himself dropping in. Some people are never satified. ::)
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II