Author Topic: Bibby family in Wigan c1797  (Read 8277 times)

Offline Greenwood Greats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bibby family in Wigan c1797
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 January 12 09:12 GMT (UK) »
If you are local Greenwood they will have the records at Wigan History shop or at Preston Lancashire Records Office.If you need a lookup please feel free to get bact to me and I will check the RC records on Tuesday for you.

Dotty

Good morning Dotty

I live in Manchester but unfortunately have no means of transport to get to Wigan or Preston.

Thank you so much for your offer of a look up. The main one is to get back back in my paternal line which is John Howard born  c1797  died 1870 &  Ann Bibby born c1797 died 1858 these 2 are really holding me going any further back

I know they were both born Wigan from the censii

I am so grateful thank you

Regards Marilyn Greenwood (nee Howard)

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 January 12 11:08 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware the records for St John RC are held at Wigan History Shop. This is very near Wigan Wallgate station (and Wigan North Western Station). There are trains from Manchester to Wigan Wallgate and I believe buses.

If the people I found are your familyprior to 1837 they will have been married in a C of E church for the marriage to be legal but their children's christenings will be in the RC church.

I see my link about the Wigan cemetery is a bit garbled. All I did was google Wigan Cemetery and got to it that way.

You may also find the whole Wigan World website useful. Again google Wigan World.

Gibel

PS to make sure the John and Ann Howard burials I found are correct you will need to purchase their death certificates.

Offline Greenwood Greats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 January 12 11:18 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware the records for St John RC are held at Wigan History Shop. This is very near Wigan Wallgate station (and Wigan North Western Station). There are trains from Manchester to Wigan Wallgate and I believe buses.

If the people I found are your familyprior to 1837 they will have been married in a C of E church for the marriage to be legal but their children's christenings will be in the RC church.

I see my link about the Wigan cemetery is a bit garbled. All I did was google Wigan Cemetery and got to it that way.

You may also find the whole Wigan World website useful. Again google Wigan World.

Gibel

PS to make sure the John and Ann Howard burials I found are correct you will need to purchase their death certificates.

Good morning Gibel

Unfortunately I have health problems and it is impossible for me to get to Wigan but thank you for the information, I have been very lucky and a very kind person has offered to do me the look up. I was hoping I would be able to find all this information on Ancestry that is why I joined but sadly I cannot

I understand I will have to prove that it is their deaths by purchasing the certificates however I have done this in the past and the death certificates have told me nothing extra apart from what they died from and they are so very expensive, it may have to be put on the back burner again until I win the lottery or more records become available on line!

Once again thank you for the link to the burials, I had no idea this Wigan page existed

Regards

Marilyn Greenwood (nee Howard)

Offline Greenwood Greats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 January 12 11:20 GMT (UK) »
All Saints Wigan ,
Ellen Bibby  5th daughter of Alexander and Ann
born 15th of April,
baptism 21st of April 1828
abode Spring gardens
father a weaver

Thank you so much for this, it has given me another angle to look at Ellen and could be really helpful
Regards
Marilyn Greenwood (nee Howard)

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 January 12 11:37 GMT (UK) »
All Saints is a C of E church. If the others are buried etc as RC I would expect Ellen to also be baptised a RC.

Gibel

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Ann baptised 6th Jan 1799 born on the 4th daughter of Thomas and Helen [late Fairclough]
Sponsors were Edward Glaze brook and Mary Fairclough
William born and baptised 14th July 1800 of Thomas and Helen
Sponsors  not sure if it was William Thomas or just Thomas Fairclough and Alice Bibby
Mary baptised 1812 daughter ofThomas and Helen
Sponsors Philip and Ann Fairclough
There was a Robert baptised 30th October 1817 but it just said son of Thomas
Sponsors James? and Mary Sharrock

Marriage 18th Feb 1798
Thomas Bibby and Helen Fairclough

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greenwood Greats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 January 12 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Ann baptised 6th Jan 1799 born on the 4th daughter of Thomas and Helen [late Fairclough]
Sponsors were Edward Glaze brook and Mary Fairclough
William born and baptised 14th July 1800 of Thomas and Helen
Sponsors  not sure if it was William Thomas or just Thomas Fairclough and Alice Bibby
Mary baptised 1812 daughter ofThomas and Helen
Sponsors Philip and Ann Fairclough
There was a Robert baptised 30th October 1817 but it just said son of Thomas
Sponsors James? and Mary Sharrock

Marriage 18th Feb 1798
Thomas Bibby and Helen Fairclough

Dotty

This is just wonderful
Thank you so very much Dotty for all this information, i would never have known this if it wasnt for you

Best wishes

Marilyn