Author Topic: M.SMYTH PEAS,CHIPS,FISH SHOP - Manchester Part One  (Read 31823 times)

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
M.SMYTH PEAS,CHIPS,FISH SHOP - Manchester Part One
« on: Tuesday 16 May 06 23:11 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know whereabouts in Manchester "M.SMYTH PEAS,CHIPS,FISH" shop was located and does anyone have any information about the Smyth family that ran the shop ?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: M.SMYTH PEAS,CHIPS,FISH SHOP - Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 06 10:17 BST (UK) »
In the same box that we discovered the photograph shown above we have now also found some references to South Manchester and one mention of Chorlton on Medlock. These may not be related to the photograph but on the other hand, they might provide a clue.

There is also a reference to a “Maggie” which could refer to the M. Smyth in the photograph.

Can anyone hazard a guess about the approximate year that the photograph was taken based on the styles of the clothing and the shop window display etc ?

DS

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 June 06 10:12 BST (UK) »
Fish and chip shops started to become "fashion" a hundred years ago.My husband's grandfather owned the first English fish and  chip shop in Wigan and that was around 1910.I personally would put that photo around that time as well.On the Historical Directories site it is showing 1909 a Mary Smith in West Gorton with a fish and chip shop ,just wonder if they got the spelling wrong.It may be worth wading through some of the directories.

Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 06 12:12 BST (UK) »
ds
Had a look at some directories at the records office but nothing came to light.Can you see what the adverts say on the photo?

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 June 06 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Dotty.

I am sorry that it has taken me so long to respond to you.  Many thanks for taking an interest and for the information that you have already provided.

I have tried to read what the items in the window say but I have not been successful.

Other people who have seen the photograph offsite have also suggested a date in the range 1900 to 1915.

Thanks again.

DS

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi D.S
just in case you are interested i came across in one of the 1900 directories Under occupations a small amount about 5
Of  "Fried Fish Dealers"This sounds like they could be the beginning of the chip Shops business. In the way of eating places,their isn't much under trades only cafe's (few & far between) and hotels.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Celia.

Thank you for the information.  It seems to add to the general view that the photograph was probably taken between 1900 - 1915.

I don't suppose that the directories to which you refer gave any addresses in Manchester for the few "Fried Fish Dealers" that were around at the time ?

DS

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 July 06 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi DS
I have at the moment got an on going project,that is to take all the Pubs,Inns & Taverns from the Directories Lancashire of years available to me on the net,but not in my Library.I am doing Liverpool & Cheshire (on the relvent boards)And some Lancaster.As it takes a lot of time copying,numbering pages,then indexing ready to put on disk.I cant do all Lancashire, I will leave Manchester for someone else ;D I haven't got enough life left anyway ;D
I only started a couple of week ago and i have some already on disk and some waiting.If i can get on the directories,i will have a look see for you. I was pleased to find a None Gore and whoever directory in the library an early one. Liverpool 1824.Haven't been able to get on the site today to do more work.If i can i will let you know if i find anything it takes ages so don't hold your breath.You can have a look as well :-\

Celia

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 07 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello

It is a while since this topic was at the forefront but someone (with far better eyesight and far better equipment than mine ;D) has recently managed to pick out some of the words on the notices in the shop window.

They are apparently mainly advertisements for Theatres and Cinemas. So it is a possibility that the chip shop was in the same general area as some of the places that it was advertising.

The names which have been picked out for certain (I am told) are "Victoria Theatre", "Grand" and "Poplar".   

The general consensus seems to be that the picture was taken somewhere between 1900 and 1918.

Does anyone know of an area of or near Manchester (probably in the suburbs rather than in the centre) which had Theatres or Cinemas with those names around that time ?

Apparently, also, the show which was being advertised at the Poplar in the shop window was possibly called "Anguish" so if anyone went to see it and can remember the exact date, that would be very helpful ;D

DS