Author Topic: Missing son California 1928 UPDATED  (Read 16940 times)

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing son California 1928
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 21 February 08 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure what is going on w/ the the Denver Charles/Robert  except it is very interesting/confusing......... to recap

Charles Crosta sr.   Brother of Kate  in Denver  married  to Mary and widowed by 1930 (but not found yet in 1920)

1910 Son called Charles R.  Age 7 b. 1903
1920 ????
1930 Son called Robert C.  Age 27 b. 1903
1930 Robert C.  has either a married sister OR a wife named Rhoda  Age  29 b. 1901

(No other sons of Charles sr.  show in the 1900-1930 census to indicate she could be a sister-in-law)

1922 Robert C. Crosta divorces Estelle
1930 Robert C. says in present marriage since age  20

Which means by age 19-20 he had married, divorced and  remarried ???

Juanita b. 1889 would have been age 14 in 1903.

It's a real leap to suggest Juanita could be above Charles/Robert mother in absentia but  ?????

Yikes!!   Hope some of your inquiries come through today!!

I need coffee   :)

lissa

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 21 February 08 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Lissa for that sensible recap of the situation!  I think my imagination was stretching too far but you never know... ;D  I'm at work now but checking my personal email all the time so I'll know the minute something comes in.

I dug out my Great grandmother's will this morning (She would have been Phyllis' grandmother, Juanita's mother in law) and in it she has left a sum of money to 'Phyllis, daughter of my late son Edmund, of Los Angeles, America'.  There is no mention at all of a son of Edmund. 

To recap:
This makes me think that:

a)  Edmund had a son before his marriage to Juanita and never told his mother.

b)  The son was Juanita's and not Edmund's and therefore not deemed worthy of a mention in her will

c)  There was never a son at all and there was both a misprint in the newspaper clipping mentioning a son and the Robert C O'Reilly mentioned in the Voter Registrations 1962 as living with Juanita is not related to her but shares the same name.  (I think this last option is too much of a coincidence to be possible).

Curiouser and curiouser.....

Jaylay

KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 21 February 08 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry should have said that will was dated 1929

Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thursday 21 February 08 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Found a few things that might be interesting, but I'm starting to lose track of what has been found already.   :P  Apologies for any repeats.

An obituary of Mrs. Mary J. Bryan in the Gettysburg Times from 23 Apr 1928.  She was a daughter of the late Mr. & Mrs. Charles Costa, was born in Philadelphia, and spent most of her life "here" (Gettysburg, I presume).  C.A. Crosta of Denver was a brother.  Other siblings include:  Mrs. Charles Codori, Los Angeles;  Edward C. Crosta, Oakland, California;  John Crosta, Los Angeles;  Mrs. Emma Noel, Baltimore street;  Mrs. Charles Schleieh, Philadelphia.  

In a story from Florence, Colorado (UP) in the Chillicothe Constitution-Tribune, 23 Jan 1935:
"Because he will neither swear nor affirm, wedding bells shall not ring for R.C. Crosta, 31.  Crosta recently went to the county clerk's office in Pueblo to apply for a license to marry Miss Virginia Williamson, 19.  When he would not swear to the truth of the statement he had made in the application, the clerk reminded him that a simple affirmation in cases of religious scruples against taking oaths.  Crosta refused to affirm and the clerk refused the license."

There's also an obit for Chas A. Codori in the New Oxford Item from New Oxford, Pennsylvania on 15 Jan 1897.  It mentions that he was a native of Gettysburg and was married in 1887 to Kate A. Crosta, daughter of Charles Crosta, dec'd, who for many years resided near Irishtown, Oxford twp, who, with one child, survives him.  

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 21 February 08 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Good stuff Shelly, with the names of the kids. I am ready to take a roadtrip and will be away from the computer, but my next move would be to search for things on the siblings. Maybe you can find a descendant and get some answers that way. Who knows.

If no one has done it by the time I get back on, I'll take a look.

Kath

PS, I think I need to print this thread out before, though. So much info, I too am losing track.  :D
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 21 February 08 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Terrific, Shelly!!   Robert seems to be quite some guy   :o :o

Can't wait to see what other findings  appear today!

jaylay,  this is quite an adventure and you are right not to discard and discount anything yet!   There seems to be alot of backstory going on here.

Will peek in later from work as well......I can't stop myself!

I will be away for the weekend as well so will looking forward to see where things go.

ciao ciao
lissa

P.S.  I think I saw the name Emma Noel somewhere   --   was it on this thread???

and yes, I need to print out as well......

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 21 February 08 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Another few more tidbits - in an article from The Gettysburg Times dated 6 Oct 1933, Charles A. Crosta of Denver was taking his sister, Mrs. Lena Schleieh of Philadelphia to Lancaster.  Charles knocked down an Edgar Faber with his car and Mr. Faber suffered a broken thigh and shoulder.

New Oxford Item, 16 Mar 1916
C.A. Crosta of Denver is spending some time with his sister Mrs. Emma Noel in Gettysburg.  Mr. Crosta has been in the west for a number of years and is successfully engaged in a tinner's supply house in Denver, his brother being a partner.  The Crosta brothers are sons of the late Chas. Crosta and were born on the old Crosta place now owned and occupied by F.X. Klunk, close to Irishtown, the family removing from there to Gettysburg many years ago.

Emma Crosta Noel died in a fire on 11 Dec 1932 at age 70.  Her siblings were Mrs. Lena Schleich of Philadelphia, Kate Crosta (married name unknown) of California, and Charles and John Crosta of Los Angeles.  She was a widow of Jacob Noel, a civil war veteran.  She was described as a recluse in one article, and a correction was made after friends complained that she was not a recluse.

Offline murphy60

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Thursday 21 February 08 17:11 GMT (UK) »
......not your average, humdrum  neighbors!!!

They make the newspapers more than any "non-famous" people  I've ever seen .....sure is good for researching, however!

jaylay,  you got lucky on this!!! 

::) ::) ::)

Offline Ohio Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 21 February 08 17:24 GMT (UK) »
1903 Denver

Wayne is in the Newspaper business
SCHOFIELD - Lancashire, Manchester, Oldham