Author Topic: IGI Extracted/Submitted ?  (Read 4189 times)

Offline Yorkshire Rose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
IGI Extracted/Submitted ?
« on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:00 BST (UK) »
I have just been reading a posting which taked about IGI records being either Extracted or Submitted. Could someone please tell me what the difference is? How do I tell which is which, and how to view them?

Thanks
Pauline

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: IGI Extracted/Submitted ?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:05 BST (UK) »
The IGI database as you have found out is primarily composed of two types of records

Extracted records have been taken directly from the existing records either church or civil.

Submitted records have been submitted by members of the LDS church and are marked as submitted records.

As extracted records are from the original records they are more accurate and unfortunately some (but not all) of the submitted records are much less reliable.

to search the IGI
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:06 BST (UK) »
See Understanding the IGI (International Genealogical Index)
 http://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/Newbie.html

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:12 BST (UK) »
I have posted this twice before but not for two years so here goes:
The I.G.I. is a very valuable family history resource and it is one of the indexes that we can see for free, together with such as the 1881 censuses of England and of Wales.
There have been many questions on Rootschat as to how accurate the IGI is or why there appears top be conflicting information about the same person.
The I.G.I. comes to us from The Church of The Latter Day Saints – you may know them as the Mormons. New members are required to submit a family history and those histories are not always of even quality and accuracy. In addition the Church is involved in actual data extraction from old printed records of births, marriages and deaths – in many countries.
There is a method which is generally accurate to determine how accurate the data you see is likely to be.
Data shown as from the 1881 census may be taken to be as accurate as normal transcripts from the censuses. But we are interested in the International Genealogical Index data on www.familysearch.org . When you are researching Frederick Burke, born England a variety of individuals will come up. You have selected the one you think is the man. Click on the underlined name and a screen comes up with data about his marriage, or christening or parentage. At the foot of that screen is a panel which gives Batch Numbers etc. This is the key. A batch number prefixed by C,J or K shows an extract from a Baptism Register. M or E will be from a Marriage Register. P will have been extracted from a printed copy of a register.
A, F or no letter prefix will be a Private Submission and these are often hazardous. They will contain lots of entries like “born about 1822” or “ born near Doncaster”. You can see that means there was no verifiable source. Often those are family legends or taken from family Bibles or old letters or journals.
Reverting back to the “good” prefixes like C,J,K,M,E.P you can now click in the next column on Source Call No. That will reveal the type of register that was used. The final check is to click on Printout Call. No. That will give you a summary of the sources used and what form they were in when consulted. Those, in turn, can be seen by arrangement with your nearest LDS Family History Centre.
This may all sound very formidable but I suggest you print this out and then look at the IGI for one of yours and follow this procedure through. It is most illuminating. It will also get you out of trouble when your ancestor has 2 entries with conflicting information. This will tell you which one is likely to be right.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yorkshire Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:16 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all. But how will I know if the records are extracted or submitted. Does it say on the search results  ???

Pauline

Offline Yorkshire Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 May 08 14:22 BST (UK) »
Got it know.

Thanks Hackstaple

Pauline

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 May 08 15:19 BST (UK) »
... and to make it easier to find again, I've now added this topic to the

RootsChat Reference Library => Lexicon (click here)

Pauline, if you have any more questions about the IGI, then when you are in the lexicon,
click on the category IGI - on the right - for related topics.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Yorkshire Rose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 May 08 15:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bo, I'll do that.

Pauline

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 May 08 15:58 BST (UK) »
Sometimes the submitted records are good, but you can't be sure.I om=nly the other day verfied  my clarke lineage with for some time has been dependent on submitted records, now I've seen the pr's
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com